Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First hit in a search engine:
Is an AWD Model S Necessary?

As for the various references to AWD during Elon's recent travels, it was discussed at just about every stop I think. And there are threads for each of those stops, IIRC.
I did skim that thread; however, the last post was made several months ago. I would recommend that readers interested in the AWD S watch both videos linked on the article, and judge for themselves. Elon's comments about the AWD S are made about 98 minutes into the Netherlands exchange: DN.no Artikkeltopp

Originally I had deposits on the S and the X, but finally decided I preferred the smaller footprint of the S even though I'd have to give up AWD. For the present this means breaking out the ancient Audi when the snow drifts over the driveway...

The Oslo meeting was the one which really gave a more concrete timeline. There Elon was asked about AWD again and he said it's not coming soon like in two months, more likely around the time of the X i.e. in a year. That is the first time I've heard Elon say AWD with any certainty. The Amsterdam Q&A had them saying it's not planned at the moment and AWD will be in X only. So I'm somewhat torn what the reality is. Might be that they discussed with JB in between the Amsterdam and Oslo and decided that the demand seems to be stronger than they anticipated so Elon's starting to think maybe they should provide an AWD S around the time when X with the platform is out.

AWD Model S and other upgrades

Imagine the performance from this Beast!
Tesla To Add AWD To The Model S Option List

Elon Musk confirms all wheel drive Model S. From LeftLaneNews.com
By Justin King
Wednesday, Feb 5th, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

Speaking to owners during a European tour, Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk has announced several product developments and outlined the company's general progress toward its goals for the year.

The executive has confirmed plans to release an all-wheel-drive edition of its Model S sedan. The option may be available by the time the Model X arrives on the market, possibly by the end of the year or early in 2015 when the SUV begins volume production.

The company is also working on higher-capacity battery options and new seats that will likely be ready by next year. For current owners, a seat modification will be available to improve comfort.

In the meantime, existing owners will be able to experience the Version 6.0 software update within a few weeks. The revision adds real-time traffic data, along with more control over suspension settings and ride-height adjustment, among other improvements.

Musk expects its "giga factory" to reduce battery costs by at least 30 percent, hopefully as much as 40 percent, with 30 gigawatt-hours of production capacity. Cheaper batteries are likely necessary for the company to meet its goal for a $30,000 mass-market car with a 200-mile range.

Following the completion of its transcontinental charging network in the US, Tesla is currently bringing new Superchargers on line at a rate of five per week. The chargers will eventually charge at a maximum 135 kW current.

While Musk was chatting with owners at the casual town-hall meetings, Consumer Reports was completing its latest brand-perception survey that showed the startup surging into the top five ahead of Subaru, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and other established players.

Read more & see video: http://www.leftlanenews.com/tesla-ceo-details-new-software-confirms-awd-model-s.html#ixzz2sWcvAr2w

That's pretty funny considering what he actually said there "there are currently no plans for an AWD MS". There was no confirmation of an AWD MS. In fact, just the opposite. Confirmation of NO AWD MS. That's not saying they won't don't it eventually, but rather they are definitely not working on that right now and have higher priorities.

"The company is also working on higher-capacity battery options" -- 400 mile battery, anyone? Having a 400 mile battery (if that's what they're planning to offer) could be very attractive, especially if you are looking to cut down on the amount of overall travel time when Supercharging is needed.

All of that info is from the Oslo Q&A. To clarify, Elon did mention an AWD Model S, but it would only be offered after Model X production/deliveries are underway. The rest of the points are accurate.