Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Non-P Owners: Would you upgrade to the Performance Model for $6K?

Would you upgrade from the Standard AWD to the Performance AWD for $6K?

• Yes

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will take that 5K refund in exchange for the free supercharging although if they will do the Performance plus upgrade I would take that instead of the refund. I rarely use Supercharging.. probably less than once every 2 months with my 2 1/2 year old Model S. I am a P3D- owner with free unlimited supercharging btw.

I’d go for it.

I’d also be quite pleased if Tesla decides to uncork a more modest bit of extra acceleration for regular AWDs for free. Given that it looks like all P3Ds are going to be offered a substantial retroactive concession ($5K - free Supercharging) & Tesla now has the P listed at 3.3 seconds for 0-60 (& $5K cheaper) this would probably be a good time for Tesla to software update us AWDs to something like 4.0-4.2 without it causing much issue with perceived value of the P3Ds.

With the way I drive, my AWD is more than adequate.
People always say that until they have more power under the hood and then suddenly they have a new way of driving.

We have so many obsolete sayings now like "hit the gas" and "power under the hood" but oh well. I'm sure the sayings will persist long after cars aren't powered by gas anymore or there aren't ICE under car hoods.

I do not think that Tesla will do this unless they decide to change the front motor in the AWD. It would have to be along the lines of:

For production efficiencies we have used the performance motor in the AWD until now. Now that we are increasing volume we will now have qualified a new part and it will no longer be capable of a P upgrade. Existing AWD will have the option to purchase the upgrade to P for the next 90 days.

Why? Because they know if the option to upgrade to P was always available it would hurt P sales. Everyone would put off the purchase when they are getting their auto loans. It is a lot easier to buy the upgrade when it is only a few dollars more a month on the payment than parting with $6k all at once. So, they would not buy right away planning to upgrade later, but never get around to parting with the $6k lump sum. There may be a small surge of AWD->P orders at first, but then too the rest of the AWD people would put it off knowing they could always get it later, the $6k could buy something else that seems more pressing right now.

So, to get it to work, they would have to make it a one time offer with no possibility of it returning (hence a hardware change), and make it limited time to put off infinite procrastination.

For $6k more and lifetime supercharging which was available when I ordered and took delivery of my car, I would have done it
For $6k more and lifetime supercharging which was available when I ordered and took delivery of my car, I would have done it

That was not the offer however. To enable SC on 99% of the the AWD M3s cost Tesla a software download or click at best. In time my guess is this will be an upgrade option for many.

this makes no sense.. there are more differences in a performance vs awd than just software unlock

No, there aren't if you're talking base P vs AWD.

th
.. what about the different brakes.. you dont just increase horsepower without corresponding stopping/brake upgrades.

This also makes no sense.

The base P had the same brakes as AWD/RWD.

And, of course, "more stopping power" from the brakes does literally nothing useful in street driving.

The P- and P+ stop in exactly the same distance as each other if you put the same wheels/tires on both cars.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

On top of that, when you're braking, you're NOT pushing the accelerator- so the hp of the car doesn't make any difference at all does it?

A 900 hp car and a 200 hp car that are otherwise identical (same shape/weight/tires/wheels), both stopping from 60, will both do so in exactly the same distance as each other....even though the 900 hp one got TO 60 faster.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
If they offered a roughly $6k upgrade to P, I would probably do it. I have the 19" wheels, and I think they would do quite well with a P upgrade.

That's my car - the 18" rims just didn't it for me - I'd say the car handles quite well with it... I'd rather have paid less since all this happened but at the time (and even now) I'll pay stupid prices for speed.. it's in the blood

That's my car - the 18" rims just didn't it for me - I'd say the car handles quite well with it... I'd rather have paid less since all this happened but at the time (and even now) I'll pay stupid prices for speed.. it's in the blood
I wish I would have been able to buy 19's I think Tesla should allow the 6k upgrade just to put the nail in the coffin for P3D- owners.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
I took delivery of my AWD a week and a half ago and I thought the acceleration was amazing. Then I got a ride in my co-workers P and man that is just a different level (maybe too much). But if it was offered, I might take the chance to upgrade to P for 6k. Although I am still glad I didn't pay an extra $11k for it.

The funny thing is that he took delivery this past weekend and his P had the Dual Motor badge without the red underline (he got a 3P-).