Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD non-performance HP and Torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to find the same thing myself for a while. EPA says AWD is 450 hp and P is 480. All of the major publications list 450 for the P, with no corrections from Tesla, and not one has tested a regular AWD. Of course, HP and Torque for both would be identical except for Tesla limiting the Torque on the AWD for the first few thousand RPMs.

The one thing I've seen, consistently, is 450 hp for a AWD, non-P. Torque is another thing. It's seems to be between 420-512 tfp. Dynos should bear out numbers consistently.
This info, though not confirmed by TESLA, is what guided my buying a AWD, non-P. 1 Sec slower in the 0-60 didn't really have me drooling for the P. Of course, stiffer suspension, beefier brakes, spoiler, top speed, lowered and 20" rims are the other aspects lost. For those that jumped on the P-wagon, kudos!

Last edited:
Reactions: austinmichaeld
Except the LR was dyno’d to 340hp/340ft-lb, so that number is low.

go to 3:00

The LR is rated at ~283hp, but dyno readings can vary. For example, I read somewhere that the Tesla ratings are at a 50% SOC, which seems believable: Mountain Pass Performance Tests Tesla Model 3 Power At Different States Of Charge (#CleanTechnica Exclusive) | CleanTechnica . I'm sure actual dynos for an AWD and P3D would be higher than rated as well, but I expect the differences between the various models to hold if they are all dynoed under similar conditions.

Wikipedia has the stats
Though, I appreciate any data, "Wikipedia" is not an acceptable reference for any college or university. Thus, I place little belief in what is posted. That said, Autoweek has credibility, which is referenced in the specs of the Wikipedia submission. I've seen several Dyno on the M3 DM LR which show much higher than "346" hp. I suppose the only way to truly know is to run a personal Dyno(?). Regardless, the non-P and P are insanely fast! As has been mentioned, electric torque is not comparable to ICE specs, accordingly.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. So we are back to square one until someone “dyno’s” their AWD? We have some decent guesstimates on the horsepower. I’d really like to know the torque number. I think the torque is what I’m really feeling from 30 to 80 mph and it sure feel significantly more powerful than the standard LR Model 3.

The one thing I've seen, consistently, is 450 hp for a AWD, non-P. Torque is another thing. It's seems to be between 420-512 tfp. Dynos should bear out numbers consistently.
This info, though not confirmed by TESLA, is what guided my buying a AWD, non-P. 1 Sec slower in the 0-60 didn't really have me drooling for the P. Of course, stiffer suspension, beefier brakes, spoiler, top speed, lowered and 20" rims are the other aspects lost. For those that jumped on the P-wagon, kudos!

How can an electric motor have more hp than torque? From what I've seen, LR RWD is around 280hp. P and standard AWD use the same motors, so it's possible the power isn't officially mentioned by Tesla because its capable of the same power but slightly software limited. Since many ~350hp ICE cars can hit mid 4s 0-60, I can't imagine the regular M3 AWD to be over 400hp.

How can an electric motor have more hp than torque? From what I've seen, LR RWD is around 280hp. P and standard AWD use the same motors, so it's possible the power isn't officially mentioned by Tesla because its capable of the same power but slightly software limited. Since many ~350hp ICE cars can hit mid 4s 0-60, I can't imagine the regular M3 AWD to be over 400hp.
It's baffling to me, as well. I've not seen a Dyno video posting numbers, only talk. Not sure it really matters (?) considering drag videos showing P's and Non-P's easily taking down many performance ICE.

Last edited:

The LR RWD is rated at 280 hp, but the dyno result was 340 hp. So, it is possible that AWD non-performance on Dyno may come out to be 400+ hp.

It is just weird that no one has dyno'd an AWD or a performance AWD

Here is a run in August on Long Island of a LR RWD. I think SOC was 70% or so.

310 bhp, 325 wtq

41D1C74C-33FE-4FA9-9B3D-FD38C5032B36.jpeg
6E114981-0F77-4C82-92A0-C3EC232093C9.jpeg

Reactions: Blue in NC