Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Non-Performance White Interior VIN 991XX Next Week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I could potentially live with a repainted bumper cover.... some manufacturers even sell replacements that are factory painted.... but I don't think I could handle having a brand new car sanded, painted and blended on the metal stamped parts. Not only is it a potential reduced resale value issue but you also have a whole host of issues with noticing the paintwork later after the car gets a little older... different flop to the new paint vs. old, etc.

Yick.

I am not going to argue with any of your all’s points because they are valid but explain how this is different than any other manufacturer?

The difference is they have dealers and you don’t see this “behind the scenes” stuff of car lots.

I have friends in the dealerships. Cars arrive in damaged condition every day. They touch them up, repaint, whatever. Then it’s back on their front lot the next week or two and no one ever knows.

They don’t have to legally disclose that information either.

I feel like people inspect their Tesla’s way more than another other car they buy.

I took my brother to buy a car once we both looked it over and test drove it. My dad pointed out it had one or two dings on the roof I didn’t notice.. for over a year of owning the car.

When I traded it in years later... the people that took my car never noticed the dings either.

Most people don’t look these things over with a magnifying glasses

Reactions: rjcbox
I am not going to argue with any of your all’s points because they are valid but explain how this is different than any other manufacturer?

The difference is they have dealers and you don’t see this “behind the scenes” stuff of car lots.

I have friends in the dealerships. Cars arrive in damaged condition every day. They touch them up, repaint, whatever. Then it’s back on their front lot the next week or two and no one ever knows.

I feel like people inspect their Tesla’s way more than another other car they buy.

I took my brother to buy a car once we both looked it over and test drove it. My dad pointed out it had one or two dings on the roof I didn’t notice.. for over a year of owning the car.

When I traded it in years later... the people that took my car never noticed the dings either.

Disclosing Car Damage

• Dealers are required to disclose in writing any damage and repair that exceeds five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before you enter into a contract.

That's just an example that came up from a search, and is for NC, but many states have similar laws.

It doesn't take much to exceed 5% total value if you are getting parts re-painted.

I agree with you that the typical person just doesn't really care or notice this stuff.

Disclosing Car Damage

That's just an example that came up from a search, and is for NC, but many states have similar laws.

It doesn't take much to exceed 5% total value if you are getting parts re-painted.

I agree with you that the typical person just doesn't really care or notice this stuff.

I believe there is also a loop hole somewhere that they can exclude the cost of Original manufacture parts in that percentage. I’d have to find it somewhere but I came across it recently.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja

I agree 100% and I would add its not just the customers who are buying putting the car under microscope but the entire media. One tesla catches fire its all over but there are more than 300,000 ICE car fire annually or more car fire for miles driven for ICE then any tesla but you never hear about it. Last week one tesla had mismatch color for door panel and it was all over. But if you look up and dig in you will find it happens all the time even with luxury cars mismatched trims but never gets reported