Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Option Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Tesla fan and an EV fan, however I am looking at these prices and thinking Tesla has a bit of a problem (if the prices hold up).

The Model X has been touted as "more functionality than a minivan, more style and performance than an SUV."

And then they compare it to the Honda Odyssey and the Audi Q7.

Yeah, in the reveal speech Elon says something like, "if you are in the market for a minivan or SUV, why wouldn't you get the Model X?" Cost, perhaps?

Yeah, I feel they should make AWD standard on the Model X. It is an SUV after all. They should simplify their production line and not even allow the option to NOT have AWD.
Is the Model X an SUV? That's certainly not how Tesla has described it. It has no pretensions to off-road driving, and so the absolute need for AWD isn't there. This car seems perfectly designed as a "family hauler" -- no need for AWD to drive around the neighborhood, really. If this option adds even $5k -- and $10k sounds more likely -- then get a base model that doesn't induce sticker shock and let people option themselves up.

Is the Model X an SUV? That's certainly not how Tesla has described it. It has no pretensions to off-road driving, and so the absolute need for AWD isn't there. This car seems perfectly designed as a "family hauler" -- no need for AWD to drive around the neighborhood, really. If this option adds even $5k -- and $10k sounds more likely -- then get a base model that doesn't induce sticker shock and let people option themselves up.

Hmm... where I drive, yes on the road, there is plenty of snow, slush, ice, and mud leading to all sorts of opportunities where some extra traction helps not to mention clearance. Good winter tires with studs covers a lot of it, but the best is to have AWD and good clearance too. Just because something is built on a car's platform and then raised and given AWD (CUV) instead of given the same treatment on a light truck platform (SUV) does not mean it is just for show. Those falcon wing doors verses cheaper just as functional mini van doors is a different story. Give me the AWD and clearance and regular functional cheaper doors please. I am guessing people who have driven through the blizards in Tahoe, or our norther neighbors in canada, and further off places like Norway might agree. When you're hauling the family you want them safe and part of that is staying on the road not sliding backwards down a hill. I would expect this even to be true in Boston :wink:

Good point RB. For $65k, you get a nice RWD family hauler that can schlep up to 6 kids and their crap all over town without worrying about having to buy gas all the time.

You make it sound so sexy. Yup with that RWD I think I would be ready to do some good old family recreational off-roading ... of the accidental variety! See my post above.

Hmm... where I drive, yes on the road, there is plenty of snow, slush, ice, and mud leading to all sorts of opportunities where some extra traction helps not to mention clearance. Good winter tires with studs covers a lot of it, but the best is to have AWD and good clearance too.
There are some amazing videos of Roadster drivers on snow and ice. The Tesla traction control system, plus the even weight distribution and low CG, should make even the RWD very good under most road conditions. There are some situations where AWD is better, granted.

FWIW, we're unlikely to give up my wife's BMW 535x Sportswagon any time soon. Provides the super-long range, AWD, and the second car we need for our lives.

Good point Robert. I did know this and it is why I still have my Model S reservation. Even so my bet is the Model S and even the roadster could stand to improve in certain road conditions with the second engine. My other bet is the model S will eventually (maybe around the same time the x comes out) have the 2nd engine AWD option available also. Let's just pray you're wrong about the 10k or above guess for it. Still I should probably thank you for mentally preparing me if the AWD option does head that direction. Maybe clearance combined with low center of gravity and good snow tires will just have to do as you suggest. The model S and X are amazing cars with or without AWD.

I'm a Tesla fan and an EV fan, however I am looking at these prices and thinking Tesla has a bit of a problem (if the prices hold up).

The Model X has been touted as "more functionality than a minivan, more style and performance than an SUV."

And then they compare it to the Honda Odyssey and the Audi Q7.

Well apparently the 85 kWh based Model X with AWD is going to start (before any options) at $69,900 + $5,000-$10,000 for AWD (call is $7,500) so a total of $77,400.

If that's the case they are going to need to add a tag line "because it costs more than a minivan and an SUV combined!"

A base Odyssey is $28,225 and a base Q7 is $46,250 for a total of $74,475!

I am really hoping that the promised 7-9% reduction in battery costs per year for the next 2-3 years will allow Tesla to reduce the price on the Model X to the point where AWD is included or reasonably priced (under $5,000).

I do think they need to offer a roughly $50k base model just to get the attention of those looking at the competition (even if that means offering it as a RWD only model). The BMW X5, Audi Q7, and Porsche Cayenne base models are all roughly $50k. But consider the fact that only the most expensive Cayenne at a price of over $106k(!) is comparable in performance to the Model X (they both get 4.4 0-60 times). But then consider that the AWD Model X may be even better than 4.4s, and that the Cayenne gets just 22mpg, and then it becomes a no-brainer as to which is the more attractive option. Start adding options to that top of the line Cayenne and that price can easily exceed $125k. If Tesla manages to offer the smallest battery pack option with RWD at $60k, and fully decked out Model X at around $100k, then I think they have a really compelling story. They really just need to get the attention of those people with the money that are looking at the Cayenne's and X6's of the world. This is truly the first SUV where you can have your cake and eat it too...one in which both husband and wife can be excited about.

Last edited:
I do think they need to offer a roughly $50k base model just to get the attention of those looking at the competition..... If Tesla manages to offer the smallest battery pack option with RWD at $60k....then I think they have a really compelling story

Kinda contradicting yourself there. FWIW, I can't see how Tesla would get the X (bigger car, falcon doors, 60kWh battery) down to the level of a base S with a 40kWh battery pack. Hasn't Tesla said pricing "similar" to the S? That would start the X at $60k at least.

Kinda contradicting yourself there. FWIW, I can't see how Tesla would get the X (bigger car, falcon doors, 60kWh battery) down to the level of a base S with a 40kWh battery pack. Hasn't Tesla said pricing "similar" to the S? That would start the X at $60k at least.

No, I'm COMPLETELY contradicting myself (not just kinda)! Glad to see someone's paying attention to what I write ;) I do tend to feel that an SUV should have AWD, but after some consideration I also want Tesla to do well moving the Model X, so getting that base model down in price may be in its best interest. $60k is close enough to $50k, and considering all that you get with even the base model (EV efficiency, superior handling, safety, and 17" touchscreen), I hope people shopping for an SUV/minivan see the value in even the base model compared to the competition.

If you plan on $10k to upgrade to AWD and an additional $10k for performance, then you'll be planning conservatively. Remember, pessimists are never disappointed! :wink:

A maxed out Sig Model S Perf is $110k.
Plus extra for winter tires, second set of rims, jack, sales tax, delivery fee, etc. etc. etc.
Plan on a maxed out Sig Model X Perf to be $120k.
To be pessimistic I'd assume more like $140K, and of course more once you add up taxes, fees, and all the little things which don't come included.

Tesla intends to make large margins on their early cars; it's part of their business model. I accept that.

Plus extra for winter tires, second set of rims, jack, sales tax, delivery fee, etc. etc. etc.

Delivery fee is valid -- those other expenses (some of which are optional -- you don't have to get your winter tires mounted on separate rims) apply to any car one would buy (and one could argue delivery fee applies too but they've just hidden it in there already and they ship in bulk so it's slightly less). I suppose you have to plan for the expense of winter tires in a sense but it isn't a "Tesla" expense. If it's not something I would do when walking into a dealership and buying an ICE car I'm personally not going to factor it into my decision on Tesla's pricing.