Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD or Not - Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in may I posted the AWD or Not? thread and received some really good feedback that made me do some serious thinking. It's now July and Tesla is ramping up production and delivery at the end of the month. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since May so I was wondering if any opinions have changed. Are you a holdout for the AWD or going with the RWD? Does the availability of options on early releases impact your choice for RWD versus AWD?

Reactions: DIL
There is no rear wheel drive Model.

If you mean a Model S then this is the wrong section.

You live in AZ, and really don't need AWD. Here In Cali its not a must but it's not too bad. If you like feeling the G's then yeah AWD is nicer, but there really is no need for it.

I enjoy the AWD on the 2017 Model S and when I drove Model X. The 2012 P85 has RWD and plenty of power with a touch of wheel spin and less traction if the accelerator is pressed too quickly. If you are thinking about Model 3, then wait until you can test drive the RWD and decide then. With the slower acceleration, RWD may be fine. If additional range, acceleration speed and traction are needed, then the AWD should be best. Remember to compare with previously owned Model S vehicles for maximum savings and performance.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
From the context, this is a Model 3 issue. I think it's mainly a question can you wait for it or do you have a lot of snow where you are.

The amount of snow in Northern Virginia in recent years (close to zero) are making me think strongly about not waiting. I do like dual motor regen though!

Reactions: dragonxt
Back in may I posted the AWD or Not? thread and received some really good feedback that made me do some serious thinking. It's now July and Tesla is ramping up production and delivery at the end of the month. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since May so I was wondering if any opinions have changed. Are you a holdout for the AWD or going with the RWD? Does the availability of options on early releases impact your choice for RWD versus AWD?

Since the RWD model S uses the larger drive unit of the 'P' models, it is now getting the update to that drive unit that has a significant power increase (reportedly inverter related).

If the OP is asking about the Model 3, then that is still using the weaker drive unit from the AWD model S/X...and you aren't very good at finding the right forum section...twice!

The Tesla system is not AWD in the same sense as an ICE. It is AWD-through-the road. Tesla uses two independent motors, one on each axle, and so all four wheels are powered, but there's nothing connecting the two motors (besides Software to control slip via braking the tires).

ICE AWD has one motor and uses mechanical clutches and/or gears and drive shafts to connect the front/rear axles and distribute power (in addition to software to control slip).

I am waiting for AWD.

Even in Arizona you would benefit with AWD for snow, mud, sand, rain and spirited driving on a beautiful sunny day.

• Informative
Ah, very much like how AWD is on our RAV4 Hybrid. It's just powered by an independent motor.
Yes, but that type is a very new occurrence. AWD and 4WD have always used a center differential or transfer case to direct power via drive shafts.

Also, the Toyota system is almost never engaged, even the normal system without a hybrid motor. Plenty of videos of the RAV4 unable to send enough torque to the rear to move the car forward in low traction scenarios. It's FWD 99% of the time.

• Informative