Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD or P? I can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others, I can now order my AWD 3. My plan was to hold out for AWD and order a Midnight Silver with 19" wheels. I wanted AWD over single motor not for bad weather driving (SoCal), but for 4 wheel regeneration and the likelihood the AWD car would get a performance bump like he S/X which indeed it did. Performance was out of my self imposed reach.

With the shuffling of pricing and options last night, the performance model is tempting. Part of me feels like I'd regret not getting the performance as my other vehicles are performance models of their line (Ford SVT's) and I don't buy cars often (last car purchase was in 2003), but the fiscal responsible side of me says the AWD is sufficient - it's faster than any of my current cars 0-60. Adding to "the getting AWS column" is I work from home, have two other garage queens, and the 3 will primarily be the daily driver for the SO.

The increased cost of insurance on the P model is an unknown. I recall the P models of the S/X are significantly more to insure than standard. Can anyone with an S/X validate?

I need to get my order in today and still am leaning strongly toward AWD. The other half says I can always get a performance Model 3 later but I just don't see myself buying another one just to upgrade. Anyone else with similar thoughts?

Of course the blue is a tempting color too. Decisions!

I’m going with AWD, non-P. I think it’s the value sweet spot. 3.5 seconds 0-60 sure is nice, but 4.5 is no slouch. Ordering later today. :)

Also keep in mind that Tesla usually sandbags, so AWD will probably be closer to 4 seconds.

I have a Model S P100D and a Model X 100D and both cost about the same to insure.

I just ordered the P today - white on white. I wanted the white interior and with the price drop of about $6k and factoring in that the AWD may not make full tax incentive timing (although it probably will) the difference was justifiable to me. I also think the P might hold value better for resale.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl and P85_DA
I’m going with AWD, non-P. I think it’s the value sweet spot. 3.5 seconds 0-60 sure is nice, but 4.5 is no slouch. Ordering later today. :)

Also keep in mind that Tesla usually sandbags, so AWD will probably be closer to 4 seconds.

Just did the same.
Going to order a few aftermarket accessories for 1/2 the price of what Tesla is offering.
From RPM Tesla I ordered the matte carbon fiber mirror covers and the matte carbon fiber spoiler. Will find a local ship top powder coat the calipers red and will be selling my aeros to purchase after market 19" or 20" matte black wheels

Reactions: NewTMSMan
The P will get you new set of tires every 16k miles with 500 AA tires!

Don't based P or AWD of a TESLA on conceptions that it will costs more to insure. That is false. Insuring just the Model S I have only costs $400/6 months with 500 deductible and 300k/100k. I had a Civic EX that went for $800/6 months. Why is it more than a Tesla?

Last edited:
The P will get you new set of tires every 16k miles with 500 AA tires!

Don't based P or AWD of a TESLA on conceptions that it will costs more to insure. That is false. Insuring just the Model S I have only costs $400/6 months with 500 deductible and 300k/100k. I had a Civic EX that went for $800/6 months. Why is it more than a Tesla?

Less chance of bodily injury in the Tesla, perhaps, so lower medical payouts compared to Civics.

Just pulled the trigger on the 3D. Estimated delivery is September to November, 2018. :)

Reactions: npatel1189