Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? I read on TMC 3.5 seconds for this value. :confused:

This is not an official test car, but an internal hacked production car. I am not sure how much for fun, and how much for testing, but I'd like to try it for sure. There could be more iterations, I have only heard of this one. The 3.5 second car would probably be a hacked and tuned production, still 2WD?

I may be going nuts.

I had a dream last night about Tesla announcing the AWD Model S. It was coming spring 2015, and the front motor had a two speed transmission + neutral, for improving both the acceleration *and* top speed, and for disconnecting the motor for energy efficiency. Don't know where my brain came up with the idea - but I like it. Places like Germany would love a 300 km/h top speed and everyone would love better acceleration. The heat would also be distributed better across two motors, allowing higher continuous power output and better track-characteristics.

I was sad to wake up and realize it was a dream.

Well, there are benefits to a two speed transmission:

- You can leave the current RWD drive unit completely unmodified.
- You get the heat distribution across two motors. So instead of ~69 kW continuous power, maybe 120 kW? (This translates to both better track characteristics and higher cruising top speed. Today you get power limit somewhere around 100 mph constant speed.)
- Significantly better acceleration *and* top speed, instead of either one or the other, or marginal improvements to both.

This is another "what is the source of this datum?"
The Model S is registered with a 69 kW (or 52 kW) motor in Europe (or at least here in Norway). For instance: Random Model S

When this first was noticed here, some emails were sent to the registration office, and they explained that as part of the vehicle type approval, the motor is rated according to ISO 612, which specifies "max continuous power". This is 69 kW for the performance version and 52 kW for the non-performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Bjorn went 130 mph for an hour I believe, at least 40 minutes, on the autobahn. That drained his 85, it was not heat that stopped him, that was all the battery could deliver.

Optimal speed | Forums | Tesla Motors
That doesn't correspond with what I remember Bjorn saying. Driving on the autobahn at 130 mph for any prolonged period is very difficult - you'll constantly be running into traffic. 130 km/h, however, yes, that's very likely.