Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD & PAWD VIN’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A search for “VIN” on these forums is like searching for “The”. :)

Can someone remind me if we have determined if there is any difference in VIN’s between AWD and Performance Model 3’s? I recall speculation that there was a digit that is different from RWD and P, but unsure if it has been confirmed of AWD/P have different VIN’s. I’d expect so but ...

Is this (no difference in VINs) confirmed? Can insurance companies tell whether you have an AWD or an AWD-P?

I don't think insurance companies care. Just like with certain ICE cars. A Hellcat doesn't have a different VIN than the non-Hellcat.

Now that can be both good and/or bad.

Is the Dual Motor Model 3 AWD owner being overcharged for their insurance ( insurance company charges everyone or performance)

OR

Is the Performance Model 3 owner being undercharged for their insurance ( insurance company charges everyone for AWD rates only).

Which one do you think is happening?

I don't think insurance companies care. Just like with certain ICE cars. A Hellcat doesn't have a different VIN than the non-Hellcat.

Now that can be both good and/or bad.

Is the Dual Motor Model 3 AWD owner being overcharged for their insurance ( insurance company charges everyone or performance)

OR

Is the Performance Model 3 owner being undercharged for their insurance ( insurance company charges everyone for AWD rates only).

Which one do you think is happening?

Right now, I feel that I'm being charged just right for my P-AWD - $4 less per year than the 8 year old Infiniti it's replacing. What I wonder, is whether I should carry an increased rental reimbursement, and/or add "mechanical breakdown insurance".

Since there's apparently no difference on the VIN between Long Range Dual Motor and Performance Dual Motor, if you have the Performance model does the word 'Performance' appear when you tap the logo on the touchscreen? Mine does not show that even though I paid for Performance.