Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the AWD model 3 will be coming late next year which works out for me since I just reserved my car. Any word on when the performance model 3 will come out. Would like to get a sub 5sec 0 to 60 model 3 if Tesla makes one....

Saw the AWD model 3 will be coming late next year which works out for me since I just reserved my car. Any word on when the performance model 3 will come out. Would like to get a sub 5sec 0 to 60 model 3 if Tesla makes one....

All we know is that AWD is announced as coming "later", only people at Tesla know when that will be.

Performance model has not been announced but is "expected".

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
All we know is that AWD is announced as coming "later", only people at Tesla know when that will be.

Thanks, hoping the AWD model gets the 0 to 60 under 5 sec... I just put in my reservation so the AWD one should be out by the time my number is called. Thinking AWD will be a must for me because of snow in the area. Curious how Tesla rear wheel drive does in snow since the motor is on top of the rear wheels so has some weight there.

Thanks, hoping the AWD model gets the 0 to 60 under 5 sec... I just put in my reservation so the AWD one should be out by the time my number is called. Thinking AWD will be a must for me because of snow in the area. Curious how Tesla rear wheel drive does in snow since the motor is on top of the rear wheels so has some weight there.

Is there any particular reason you are fixated with <5.0 seconds 0-60 times beyond bragging rights or making sure some kid with a chip-tuned WRX isn't faster?

I've driven the RWD version of the 340i and it's 0-60 in about 5.0 or 5.1 seconds. The AWD version that I have is about 4.6 seconds. Both are break-neck quick and nobody would whine about either of them being slow.

• Funny
Reactions: ICEBreaker
Motor weight is negligible when compared to battery weight.
It's mainly the traction control which makes it better than other cars.

Is there any particular reason you are fixated with <5.0 seconds 0-60 times beyond bragging rights or making sure some kid with a chip-tuned WRX isn't faster?

I've driven the RWD version of the 340i and it's 0-60 in about 5.0 or 5.1 seconds. The AWD version that I have is about 4.6 seconds. Both are break-neck quick and nobody would whine about either of them being slow.

I always say I like enough speed to get out of trouble if I need to. Lots of merging around my area so nice to be able to just step on it and not deal with people. I also have to admit I like to drive fast and one of the draws to me is that I can possibly replace two cars with one. I have a Mustang that I drive as a toy and a more practical car for when I have people in the car would be nice to replace with a single car. Performance/ efficiency are two things drawing me to Tesla.

For the AWD, it's not true that it's just been announced as "later". It's there in the FAQ along with other dates (whether they hit them or not isn't the point, this is what they've announced):
Spring 2018: Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

As you say with the performance version, it has not been formally announced at all, but certainly widely expected.

Dual motors is due in the spring of 2018, if you just registered then yes, it should definitely be available by the time you get to configure. Model 3 Reservations FAQ

As for RWD in the snow, there are several threads that discuss that already, your best bet would be to search on the word snow and go from there. There are literally hundreds or posts on it so be prepared ....

I always say I like enough speed to get out of trouble if I need to. Lots of merging around my area so nice to be able to just step on it and not deal with people. I also have to admit I like to drive fast and one of the draws to me is that I can possibly replace two cars with one. I have a Mustang that I drive as a toy and a more practical car for when I have people in the car would be nice to replace with a single car. Performance/ efficiency are two things drawing me to Tesla.

Well at least you're honest about it. My car is kind of what you're looking for. Comfortable daily driver, does well in the snow, blow the doors off the kiddos with their souped up pocket rockets when necessary.

I don't know though that it would be any different if I had the 5.1 second 0-60 vs. the 4.6 second version I do have.

Do you already have a reservation on the Model 3?

I'm hoping it will be more like 3-3.5 seconds. Why? Because the P100D loaner I had was too much fun and my 4 second P85 seems slow now.

It will come down to where the limiting factor is, such as pack size and max current that it can deliver.

Personally I would expect a ludicrous AWD model to be priced in BMW M3 Audi S4 territory but probably have 0-60 times only a little worse than ludicrous Model S.

Well at least you're honest about it. My car is kind of what you're looking for. Comfortable daily driver, does well in the snow, blow the doors off the kiddos with their souped up pocket rockets when necessary.

I don't know though that it would be any different if I had the 5.1 second 0-60 vs. the 4.6 second version I do have.

Do you already have a reservation on the Model 3?
To be honest a Tesla model S is perfect for me and a used one may be the route I go. I do drive shall we say a bit quick... What I like with the Tesla is you are getting everything in one car. Fun to drive , great gas mileage (no gas in this case), but still room for people. I do have a reservation on a model 3 but just put it in at the end of last month so by the time I can get my car the AWD will be out. Also hoping they work out the kinks by then. Not planning on buying till late next year so gives me the choice at that point. BTW your BMW is a sweet ride as well. I'm looking at the Audi S3 as well right now...

It will come down to where the limiting factor is, such as pack size and max current that it can deliver.

Personally I would expect a ludicrous AWD model to be priced in BMW M3 Audi S4 territory but probably have 0-60 times only a little worse than ludicrous Model S.

The S4 is *way* cheaper than the BMW M3. If the fastest version of the Model 3 is under $70k I'll take a 3 month ban.

To be honest a Tesla model S is perfect for me and a used one may be the route I go. I do drive shall we say a bit quick... What I like with the Tesla is you are getting everything in one car. Fun to drive , great gas mileage (no gas in this case), but still room for people. I do have a reservation on a model 3 but just put it in at the end of last month so by the time I can get my car the AWD will be out. Also hoping they work out the kinks by then. Not planning on buying till late next year so gives me the choice at that point. BTW your BMW is a sweet ride as well. I'm looking at the Audi S3 as well right now...

Have you driven a Model S? It's a huge car... as in, bigger than a 5 series BMW.

You really owe it to yourself to go out and test drive a P Model S. If, being a Mustang owner, you prefer the driving dynamics of RWD you really should check out one of the older P85 models. The Model S is similar to the 2015+ Mustang GT in the car "shrinks" around you and doesn't feel as big as it is when driven hard- and this is coming from somebody with a Miata! :eek: I probably would have bought a 2015 GT in guard green with the Recaros if I hadn't decided to wait on the Model 3.

Both the P85 Model S and probably the Model 3 will "feel" faster at semi-legal speeds unless you're Mustang is sporting a twin screw supercharger or the like! ;) They will also handle infinitely better in the snow, as mentioned do a search especially for post from our friends up in Canada and Norway.

It would be really, really nice if Tesla at least released the specs before opening up the orders. I'm sure some people would wait another 10 months for a P80D Model 3 over an early 2018 if they knew what they were waiting for.

Motor weight is negligible when compared to battery weight.
It's mainly the traction control which makes it better than other cars.
Yes. Torque management that updates 1000 times per second is a formidable help to good effective traction. Driving a RWD S70 on snow/sleet/heavy rain during the lest few weeks tells me that the traction control is a bigger deal than is the AWD, but it will be AWD for me too. Just don't underestimate Tesla torque management.

Reactions: cizUK
You really owe it to yourself to go out and test drive a P Model S. If, being a Mustang owner, you prefer the driving dynamics of RWD you really should check out one of the older P85 models. The Model S is similar to the 2015+ Mustang GT in the car "shrinks" around you and doesn't feel as big as it is when driven hard- and this is coming from somebody with a Miata! :eek: I probably would have bought a 2015 GT in guard green with the Recaros if I hadn't decided to wait on the Model 3.

Both the P85 Model S and probably the Model 3 will "feel" faster at semi-legal speeds unless you're Mustang is sporting a twin screw supercharger or the like! ;) They will also handle infinitely better in the snow, as mentioned do a search especially for post from our friends up in Canada and Norway.

It would be really, really nice if Tesla at least released the specs before opening up the orders. I'm sure some people would wait another 10 months for a P80D Model 3 over an early 2018 if they knew what they were waiting for.

I need to do some research on how the RWD Tesla's do in the snow. Watched some Youtube video's on it but need to research more. I have a winter car I drive now but if I get a Tesla I will have to go to a single car unless I win the lottery :) Some really quick P85's used on the Tesla site. Don't think I would buy a used Tesla from any other place. Warranty is a big thing to me. Mustang is a blast to drive but really like some of the tech stuff on the Tesla. Looking forward to test driving the S!!

Yes. Torque management that updates 1000 times per second is a formidable help to good effective traction. Driving a RWD S70 on snow/sleet/heavy rain during the lest few weeks tells me that the traction control is a bigger deal than is the AWD, but it will be AWD for me too. Just don't underestimate Tesla torque management.

Thinking a good set of winter tires would go a long way also. More worried about getting stuck in the snow then sliding. They don't really plow my neighborhood so Can get deep and then I find traction control kills the power completely. Not sure if this is the case with the Tesla or not. I end up defeating it on other cars because of this.