Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S4 is *way* cheaper than the BMW M3. If the fastest version of the Model 3 is under $70k I'll take a 3 month ban.

Yeah, sorry, RS4 is what I meant to type.

I'm guestimating that Tesla is going to charge $3,000-$5,000 for AWD and another $7,500 to $10,000 for Ludicrous. You won't be able to get Ludicrous w/out AWD or PUP and of course will need the LR battery.

So I think your estimate is pretty close, probably ludicrous Model 3 will be a 3.5-4.0 second 0-60 car and will cost $65-$70K

Yeah, sorry, RS4 is what I meant to type.

I'm guestimating that Tesla is going to charge $3,000-$5,000 for AWD and another $7,500 to $10,000 for Ludicrous. You won't be able to get Ludicrous w/out AWD or PUP and of course will need the LR battery.

So I think your estimate is pretty close, probably ludicrous Model 3 will be a 3.5-4.0 second 0-60 car and will cost $65-$70K
I think I heard somewhere the AWD option will be around $5k. All speculation of course. Also wondering if AWD will require the longer range option. Guessing the AWD model will be a bit quicker also with a extra drive unit. Thinking a performance model around $60k to $65k will put some serious pressure on BMW and Audi. Think the RS3 Audi starts at $54k but closer to $60k once you put options on.

Thinking a good set of winter tires would go a long way also. More worried about getting stuck in the snow then sliding. They don't really plow my neighborhood so Can get deep and then I find traction control kills the power completely. Not sure if this is the case with the Tesla or not. I end up defeating it on other cars because of this.
Surely they would. Comparing my Porsche 4S with my Tesla P85D, the Tesla wins hands down, I suspect because of the ultra-fast torque adaptation.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I was at Crater Lake, Oregon when a snowstorm blew in during the evening and night. Snowplows went through the hotel parking lots and there was a heavy crust about 1 1/2 ft deep to get out of. I was parked with an S75 (RWD only-no wonder tires) while the car beside me was a Toyota Land Cruiser with winter tires. I backed up first, the Tesla stuttered a bit and climber through the mess. The Toyota was using a shovel to dig out as my spouse and I departed the area. Relative driver abilities: maybe. Factually the Tesla torque control is so astonishingly effective that it can do things I am confident I could never do otherwise.

When back to comparing my 4S to P85D, I was thrilled with the 4S when I got it and loved driving it in the snow in Park City. The P85D is substantially more stable than was the Porsche, although both are quite outstanding. Both clearly benefit by winter tires.

Surely they would. Comparing my Porsche 4S with my Tesla P85D, the Tesla wins hands down, I suspect because of the ultra-fast torque adaptation.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I was at Crater Lake, Oregon when a snowstorm blew in during the evening and night. Snowplows went through the hotel parking lots and there was a heavy crust about 1 1/2 ft deep to get out of. I was parked with an S75 (RWD only-no wonder tires) while the car beside me was a Toyota Land Cruiser with winter tires. I backed up first, the Tesla stuttered a bit and climber through the mess. The Toyota was using a shovel to dig out as my spouse and I departed the area. Relative driver abilities: maybe. Factually the Tesla torque control is so astonishingly effective that it can do things I am confident I could never do otherwise.

When back to comparing my 4S to P85D, I was thrilled with the 4S when I got it and loved driving it in the snow in Park City. The P85D is substantially more stable than was the Porsche, although both are quite outstanding. Both clearly benefit by winter tires.

Wow the parking lot story is crazy. Would have expected that land cruiser to plow right through. Good to hear such great reviews about the torque control on the Tesla. Thanks for the reply.

Wow the parking lot story is crazy. Would have expected that land cruiser to plow right through. Good to hear such great reviews about the torque control on the Tesla. Thanks for the reply.
Ah, I'd have thought so also. Methinks the driver was an idiot. It's still a good story anyway, isn't it?

Reactions: THXULTRA
I think I heard somewhere the AWD option will be around $5k. All speculation of course. Also wondering if AWD will require the longer range option. Guessing the AWD model will be a bit quicker also with a extra drive unit. Thinking a performance model around $60k to $65k will put some serious pressure on BMW and Audi. Think the RS3 Audi starts at $54k but closer to $60k once you put options on.

Tesla have not announced how much AWD will cost. If I were to guess I would guess at around $5,000 but Tesla will be bold to do it, all of their competitors in the same segment charge less than $2,000 for AWD on their cars.

Tesla have not announced how much AWD will cost. If I were to guess I would guess at around $5,000 but Tesla will be bold to do it, all of their competitors in the same segment charge less than $2,000 for AWD on their cars.
One thing with the Tesla is they use another drive unit for AWD, not sure what the costs are for that. Hoping you are right and they have to be more competitive.

One thing with the Tesla is they use another drive unit for AWD, not sure what the costs are for that. Hoping you are right and they have to be more competitive.

With demand as high as it is I expect they will rightfully think they can get away with nearly anything on the pricing.

I'm pretty sure we are going to see versions of the Model 3 late next year or early 2019 that are ringing up with a $80,000+ sticker price or higher. They have yet to release the super duper seating options, air suspension, etc.

With demand as high as it is I expect they will rightfully think they can get away with nearly anything on the pricing.

I'm pretty sure we are going to see versions of the Model 3 late next year or early 2019 that are ringing up with a $80,000+ sticker price or higher. They have yet to release the super duper seating options, air suspension, etc.

They have kind of a tight rope to walk though if they price the model 3 too high they will lose sales as people will buy other cars at those price points. They also don't want to compete with their own model S. I would be surprised if we see any model 3 over $70k because that is close to the price of a model S. I do expect to see some really marked up on the second hand market because people want what they can't get. I wouldn't be surprised to see people pay $80k before the end of the year because they have to have the car now.

They have kind of a tight rope to walk though if they price the model 3 too high they will lose sales as people will buy other cars at those price points. They also don't want to compete with their own model S. I would be surprised if we see any model 3 over $70k because that is close to the price of a model S. I do expect to see some really marked up on the second hand market because people want what they can't get. I wouldn't be surprised to see people pay $80k before the end of the year because they have to have the car now.

Look at the poll I started titled "what's your TOP reason for choosing Model 3". While Tesla technology is the poll leader, right behind it are those who say their #1 reason for choosing Tesla is green energy. The ones that are in it for green energy (and you should look into some of the thread comments about people wracked with guilt for driving their kids around in oil burning cars) will be more than happy to pay a $10,000 or more premium over the competition to feel better about themselves... or save the planet... or whatever.

Elon said AWD will be less than $5K and a lot faster than the reveal prototypes (which were AWD). Of course this is from 18 months ago, and things can change.

upload_2017-10-4_16-52-27.png

Reactions: THXULTRA
Look at the poll I started titled "what's your TOP reason for choosing Model 3". While Tesla technology is the poll leader, right behind it are those who say their #1 reason for choosing Tesla is green energy. The ones that are in it for green energy (and you should look into some of the thread comments about people wracked with guilt for driving their kids around in oil burning cars) will be more than happy to pay a $10,000 or more premium over the competition to feel better about themselves... or save the planet... or whatever.

haha ya because that electric is always produced in a green way too right :) Same bunch that buy a mac book because it is shinny. Surprised that made the top two reasons. I would have thought saving money or not dealing with maint of a gas engine would have been behind technology.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I'm hoping we'll get some (closer to) final specs and pricing for AWD and Perf by the end of the year or so. As a line waiter, my head says just go for the RWD LR with PUP, but my heart says wait for Perf. Heart seems to be winning.

Is there any particular reason you are fixated with <5.0 seconds 0-60 times beyond bragging rights or making sure some kid with a chip-tuned WRX isn't faster?

I've driven the RWD version of the 340i and it's 0-60 in about 5.0 or 5.1 seconds. The AWD version that I have is about 4.6 seconds. Both are break-neck quick and nobody would whine about either of them being slow.
Technically, the RWD 340i does 60 in more like 4.7 seconds... That is according to BMW, which is conservative. Enthusiast mags have it down more like 4.2-4.4. Typically the AWD version does it about 1/10 second faster than the RWD version.

I'm hoping we'll get some (closer to) final specs and pricing for AWD and Perf by the end of the year or so. As a line waiter, my head says just go for the RWD LR with PUP, but my heart says wait for Perf. Heart seems to be winning.
By the time mine is ready to build the AWD one will be out for sure. Guessing the perf model will be also if they make one. Just signed up so going to be a long wait for me. Wanted to wait though and let them work out the kinks...

The S4 is *way* cheaper than the BMW M3. If the fastest version of the Model 3 is under $70k I'll take a 3 month ban.
Yep.... I've been cross-shopping the 340 v. 440 v. M3 v. Audi S4 v. Audi S3... all vs my theoretical Model 3.

I regretfully had to rule out the M3 cuz I just can't afford it in a 2017 model year or newer. Plus... it's probably just not practical as a daily driver.

Yep.... I've been cross-shopping the 340 v. 440 v. M3 v. Audi S4 v. Audi S3... all vs my theoretical Model 3.

I regretfully had to rule out the M3 cuz I just can't afford it in a 2017 model year or newer. Plus... it's probably just not practical as a daily driver.

I have been doing the same If I don't go with a Tesla my next choice is the S3. Should look at the BMW 340XI also. Thinking the Audi A3/A4 and BMW 3 series are the big competitors to the Tesla 3.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
I have been doing the same If I don't go with a Tesla my next choice is the S3. Should look at the BMW 340XI also. Thinking the Audi A3/A4 and BMW 3 series are the big competitors to the Tesla 3.
I drove a very nicely appointed S3, really enjoyed it, then immediately after made the mistake of taking out an S5 Sportback (not realizing what the sticker was on it - $69k) and that kind of blew the S3 away, which spoiled it for me...

A couple days later I drove an S4 and loved it. In addition to the performance, it has the same luxurious feel as the S5, just minus the hatchback (and much easier to negotiate, because the S5 Sportback are relatively rare and in demand).

For $$ sake, I think I need to go back and give the S3 another shot, having cleared my head of the S5 Sportback experience. Also, for the first test drive, I had my 6'5" husband, my daughter, AND the salesman all crammed in that little thing... which is really not the kind of passenger load it's designed for (or would normally be carrying, as far as how I'd use it).

My sales guy is really, really trying to get me to consider a fully loaded A4 he has, and I'm sure it's awesome, but it won't be nearly as fun to drive as the S4 (or S3, or Model 3, or 340/440).

I have truly loved my 335i (RWD). If not for the new tech that has come out recently (Apple CarPlay) I would probably buy it. My only hesitation with its successor, the 340, is that the 3 series is so common (although 335/340 less so) - it would be fun to have something a little different, like the 4 series, if I go with another BMW.

Anyhow... I fully agree, these are some of the major competitors for the Model 3. I will be very curious to see what comes of the Model 3 Performance version.