Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way. It’s going to be way more, I suspect. The LR-Premium is more than an RS3 if you get EAP.

I’m sticking with my $70k+ estimate but I’ll accept it might come in at like $68-69k.
You can get a base RS3 for $54k. I think if Tesla wants to compete they are going to need to offer something close to that price range. The thing with the Audi's is they come standard with leather seats too. I would think if Tesla wants to compete with the Audi they will need to be closer to $60k. For $70k you may as well look at a model S since they start at $74k and do 0 to 60 in 4.2...

You can get a base RS3 for $54k. I think if Tesla wants to compete they are going to need to offer something close to that price range. The thing with the Audi's is they come standard with leather seats too. I would think if Tesla wants to compete with the Audi they will need to be closer to $60k. For $70k you may as well look at a model S since they start at $74k and do 0 to 60 in 4.2...

Tesla's target for the 3 has been the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 and MB C class all along. Why should they suddenly compete with a smaller Audi for the Performance model?

I'm expecting the 3P75D to go head to head with the M3 on price and performance and features in general (before tax credit and with much faster 0-60 time.)

Reactions: voip-ninja
Tesla's target for the 3 has been the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 and MB C class all along. Why should they suddenly compete with a smaller Audi for the Performance model?

I'm expecting the 3P75D to go head to head with the M3 on price and performance and features in general (before tax credit and with much faster 0-60 time.)
I do not believe Audi makes a RS4. They do make a RS3 though. I think they would be foolish to think people shopping a performance model at that price point wouldn't look at the RS3. I agree they will compete with the M3 also but I think they will try to beat BMW on price also. They also don't want to compete with themselves and they already have the model S priced at $74k.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
I do not believe Audi makes a RS4. They do make a RS3 though. I think they would be foolish to think people shopping a performance model at that price point wouldn't look at the RS3. I agree they will compete with the M3 also but I think they will try to beat BMW on price also. They also don't want to compete with themselves and they already have the model S priced at $74k.

M3 MSRP with no options: $65,500.
Base 530i MSRP: $52,400.

BMW doesn't seem to have a problem with competing with themselves.

I do not believe Audi makes a RS4. They do make a RS3 though.

Audi has made RS4s in the past, they probably will again.

They also don't want to compete with themselves and they already have the model S priced at $74k.

This isn't how it works. The performance trim of every model always costs more than the base cost of the next model.

S3 (nevermind the RS3) costs more than base A4. S4 costs more than base A6.

M3 costs (WAY) more than than the base 5 series. M5 costs (WAY) more than the base 7 series.

I think you have a case of having rose colored glasses on. The Audi R/S3 is a more compact and lower price sedan than anything that Tesla offers or has shown interest in competing with.

I think that Tesla will build a P75D as pointed out that has a starting price similar to the starting price of its closest competition which would be BMW M3 or Mercedes C class AMG.

Tesla will likely by that time have some additional upgrades in the way of high end wheels, high end interior, etc., that can bump the price up even higher. I would be really surprised if such a car carried a starting price much less than $65,000 before things like auto-pilot, etc., are factored in.

The biggest thing the Tesla will have going for it is that it's electric, theoretically more reliable, and it will definitely be faster both in 0-60 times and in most other speed metrics.

The weakness of the Tesla is that the cars aren't track cars. The electric cooling system does not cope with track use and I don't see that changing in this generation of vehicles. For those who want to track/race vehicles and want a top end suspension from a highly competent manufacturer.... they will continue to choose whichever high end ICE track weapon they like the best.

I think you have a case of having rose colored glasses on. The Audi R/S3 is a more compact and lower price sedan than anything that Tesla offers or has shown interest in competing with.

I think that Tesla will build a P75D as pointed out that has a starting price similar to the starting price of its closest competition which would be BMW M3 or Mercedes C class AMG.

Tesla will likely by that time have some additional upgrades in the way of high end wheels, high end interior, etc., that can bump the price up even higher. I would be really surprised if such a car carried a starting price much less than $65,000 before things like auto-pilot, etc., are factored in.

The biggest thing the Tesla will have going for it is that it's electric, theoretically more reliable, and it will definitely be faster both in 0-60 times and in most other speed metrics.

The weakness of the Tesla is that the cars aren't track cars. The electric cooling system does not cope with track use and I don't see that changing in this generation of vehicles. For those who want to track/race vehicles and want a top end suspension from a highly competent manufacturer.... they will continue to choose whichever high end ICE track weapon they like the best.

Going to be honest the Audi S3/RS3 is the car I would most likely buy if I don't get the tesla. Sure there are others looking at them as well. For the price of the model 3 I'm looking at I can get a S3. So both are on my radar. As I said before I really like the tech in the Tesla though. Also hoping for a bit of a performance boost with the AWD setup. If it is comparable to the model S that is plenty for me.

Going to be honest the Audi S3/RS3 is the car I would most likely buy if I don't get the tesla. Sure there are others looking at them as well. For the price of the model 3 I'm looking at I can get a S3. So both are on my radar. As I said before I really like the tech in the Tesla though. Also hoping for a bit of a performance boost with the AWD setup. If it is comparable to the model S that is plenty for me.

I drove two different A4s for a period of about 11 years before getting my first BMW.

Before leasing my 340i I test drove the S3 and I just wasn't that impressed. There was noticeable turbo lag. The cockpit felt spartan and a little low end. I thought the pop up MMI/nav display looked like a cheap gimmick. I ended up feeling like it was really more or less a Golf GTI with an upgraded interior and if push came to shove I'd really rather have the Golf for the 5 door configuration.

I ended up getting a phenomenal deal on the 340i and the rest is history.

I haven't driven the RS3 but the engine looks most impressive. Not sure I could get over the other aspects of the car I found a bit lacking.

Now the S5, that looks like a phenomenal car. However, configured as I would like it I would be looking at about $60,000. Compare that with a Tesla Model 3 (assuming $5,000 AWD) at about $57,000 (19 inch wheels, AWD and paint) and then look at tax credits and it's hard to justify the Audi.

Having said that I now need to do a test drive of the S5.

I drove two different A4s for a period of about 11 years before getting my first BMW.

Before leasing my 340i I test drove the S3 and I just wasn't that impressed. There was noticeable turbo lag. The cockpit felt spartan and a little low end. I thought the pop up MMI/nav display looked like a cheap gimmick. I ended up feeling like it was really more or less a Golf GTI with an upgraded interior and if push came to shove I'd really rather have the Golf for the 5 door configuration.

I ended up getting a phenomenal deal on the 340i and the rest is history.

I haven't driven the RS3 but the engine looks most impressive. Not sure I could get over the other aspects of the car I found a bit lacking.

Now the S5, that looks like a phenomenal car. However, configured as I would like it I would be looking at about $60,000. Compare that with a Tesla Model 3 (assuming $5,000 AWD) at about $57,000 (19 inch wheels, AWD and paint) and then look at tax credits and it's hard to justify the Audi.

Having said that I now need to do a test drive of the S5.

I would like to drive the new Audi A4, I really like the way they upgraded the interior. I also feel like the audi tech is second only to Tesla at this price range. I did get to drive the Audi A3 and really liked the way the car handled. Could use a bit more power but was still not bad.I also drove the BMW 328xi and the car was a slug. I don't know how BMW puts their name on the car to be honest. I get it that it is a entry option but I expected so much more out of the car. Biggest issue being the car had no pickup. Know that is resolved by getting the upgraded engine however. One thing I really liked with the Audi is the seats are leather not synthetic. I know the A3 is just a golf with upgrades and a nicer interior but felt the Audi (mostly the interior) was a big step up from the VW. The VW is a great car though also especially for the money. The Golf R even has the same engine as the S3.

New S5 does look amazing. See they upgraded the interior quite a bit also. If you get to test drive one would love to hear your impressions.

I know this is the case with the model S but I haven't seen anything on what is standard interior wise with the model 3. I know the base interior is cloth so I would most likely go for the premium to get the leather seats. Also wondering if the premium model 3 will have the heated steering wheel like the Model S does. Have that on my current winter driver and it is really nice on those sub zero days.
The premium seats are not real leather. They are synthetic leather. No indication on heated steering wheel being available. I'm sure it will, but probably not right away. Some other threads hashed this over few weeks ago so search should come up with them.

No way. It’s going to be way more, I suspect. The LR-Premium is more than an RS3 if you get EAP.

I’m sticking with my $70k+ estimate but I’ll accept it might come in at like $68-69k.
Oh I know, just stating that RS3 would be more comparable than the S3, even though I know Performance 3 will still be considerably more expensive than that.

I also believe it will be mid to upper $70k.

The premium seats are not real leather. They are synthetic leather. No indication on heated steering wheel being available. I'm sure it will, but probably not right away. Some other threads hashed this over few weeks ago so search should come up with them.
Surprised about the seats the ones in the model S are real leather aren't they? Guess I kind of assumed they would be in the 3 also.

Now's not a great time to get a 3 series anyway unless you get a phenomenal deal. The F30 is going to be replaced by the new G20 platform 3 series in about 10 months.
Wow - Thanks. I was not aware of this, although my salesperson did mention that it was due for a redesign. 440 GC it is, then, if I go BMW.

Traffic jam assist is more like TACC (traffic aware cruise control) or adaptive cruise control. I don't think it really does much more than that.
I was under the impression that traffic jam assist also steers the car and keeps it in the lane. Also only works up to 40mph vs tesla that is up to 90mph...
I think you're both wrong. :)

Plain "TACC" will only keep pace with the car in front of you, but at certain higher speeds and will not work in stop & go traffic. Traffic Jam Assist (like BMW's "Stop & Go") will adjust speeds at higher speeds like TACC but will also work in stop & go traffic.

I do NOT think Audi's Traffic Jam Assist steers for you. I mean, it might with Lane Departure... but you'd be weaving back and forth like a drunk person. ;)

The loaded A4 Prestige my dealer guy wants me to consider has Traffic Jam Assist. If I give it a test drive, I will definitely see if I can do it where/when there is some traffic to try this out.

Driver assistance systems

and

Cause and effect

EDIT: Reading at those links more thoroughly.... Audi also (separately?) has something called Adaptive Cruise Assist, which DOES read lane markings and keep you to the center of the lane.

Last edited:
Wow - Thanks. I was not aware of this, although my salesperson did mention that it was due for a redesign. 440 GC it is, then, if I go BMW.

I think you're both wrong. :)

Plain "TACC" will only keep pace with the car in front of you, but at certain higher speeds and will not work in stop & go traffic. Traffic Jam Assist (like BMW's "Stop & Go") will adjust speeds at higher speeds like TACC but will also work in stop & go traffic.

I do NOT think Audi's Traffic Jam Assist steers for you. I mean, it might with Lane Departure... but you'd be weaving back and forth like a drunk person. ;)

The loaded A4 Prestige my dealer guy wants me to consider has Traffic Jam Assist. If I give it a test drive, I will definitely see if I can do it where/when there is some traffic to try this out.

Driver assistance systems

and

Cause and effect

EDIT: Reading at those links more thoroughly.... Audi also (separately?) has something called Adaptive Cruise Assist, which DOES read lane markings and keep you to the center of the lane.

I thought traffic jam assist keeps the car in the lane. Not lane switching like Tesla but enough to steer the car in the lane and follow traffic. We demo Audi's Traffic Jam Assistant tech on the road [w/video]

If you get to test drive one you will have to let us know how it goes. Traffic is the main reason I want auto pilot.