Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD & Performance Price drop? Also... I can configure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my reservation set at rwd extended battery with may-july estimate. If I change to AWD, are you guys saying I'll be able to configure or get a invite to configure? Also if I go back to rwd, will I lose my place in the may - July estimate?

We have been holding out for the white interior (non performance) for months now. It looks like the non P models are 4-6 months out for delivery. If Tesla hits their 200K July 1 then the $7500 credit will only last until the end of the year. If it takes 6+ month to take delivery, you give up the tax credit. I’m thinking we need to just accept that there will be no white interior and buy it now before 6 m the turns into 8 months. Anyone else see it this way?

Configured just now but I never got an invitation since opting for AWD. Just logged on this evening by chance and there it was. Bam! Sept.- Nov. delivery.

We noticed our screen changed and we could order our AWD today too. Husband said he looked this morning and saw no change. Not sure when it happened but got our order placed for my car over dinner at a restaurant. What a way to buy a car! Also got the 3-5 months delivery estimate. Our last delivery estimate when we got our invite back on Feb 14 was End of 2018 if we went with the AWD version, so that's really in the range. Our Model S was pretty spot on too from when it got delivered compared to the estimate we were given (March-April and got it 3/17).

BTW just ordered the 3D Maxpider Kagu mats for our car. Hopefully will arrive before the car. On back order. Love these mats in our MS.

Last edited:
So is the 20" wheels going to be like the 21" wheels on the S where the tires die after 3-4,000 miles and require replacement like 3 times a year? And also will your rims to be so close to the pavement that hitting a pothole will destroy the rim like on the S with 21" wheels? I don't get why I can't choose the 18" wheels if I would prefer longer tire life over looking cool.

Also I guess this is a total newsflash to me because I haven't been paying attention, but it seems there is no sunroof available for the 3 at all. Hmm. I love the sunroof on my S. Sigh.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So is the 20" wheels going to be like the 21" wheels on the S where the tires die after 3-4,000 miles and require replacement like 3 times a year? And also will your rims to be so close to the pavement that hitting a pothole will destroy the rim like on the S with 21" wheels? I don't get why I can't choose the 18" wheels if I would prefer longer tire life over looking cool.

Also I guess this is a total newsflash to me because I haven't been paying attention, but it seems there is no sunroof available for the 3 at all. Hmm. I love the sunroof on my S. Sigh.
The premium interior comes with the pano roof and you can opt for the standard wheels.

So do you get any drivetrain upgrades or physical brake upgrades (other than red calipers) with the $5000 “performance” package on the Performance car?

And does a Performance car without the $5000 “performance package” get the 155 mph top speed? The website says it both ways.

So do you get any drivetrain upgrades or physical brake upgrades (other than red calipers) with the $5000 “performance” package on the Performance car?

And does a Performance car without the $5000 “performance package” get the 155 mph top speed? The website says it both ways.

No, on first page it says "Up to 155 MPH" when you select the P, but only if you add the Performance Package does it increase the top speed to 155 MPH.

We have been holding out for the white interior (non performance) for months now. It looks like the non P models are 4-6 months out for delivery. If Tesla hits their 200K July 1 then the $7500 credit will only last until the end of the year. If it takes 6+ month to take delivery, you give up the tax credit. I’m thinking we need to just accept that there will be no white interior and buy it now before 6 m the turns into 8 months. Anyone else see it this way?

I caved as well. Really wanted the white interior AWD but not P. Hoping if they change their minds we can still edit, but wanted to order before July 1.

I caved too, order a P --> White on White :D

True American stable now:

sgol5d.jpg

The federal tax credit does not totally disappear after 2 quarters. In the best case scenario the federal tax credit is cut in half for the first half of 2019 and then cut in half again for the second half of 2019. So there WOULD BE Some tax credit for the entire 2019, just not the full $7500 assuming the 200,000 sale is after July 1st.