Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD range since last charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must be the combination of sticky tires and the front motor. I've averaged 226 Wh/mi for the last 9,500 miles with my RWD. Or maybe it's your acceleration is more addictive? View attachment 339681
A/C usage can range up to 10% depending on climate and latitude. AWD is expected to cost 4%-8% (I haven't seen extensive empirical numbers yet on this). 19" is another 7%-8%. over 18" w/caps.

The RWD Model 3 has really quite amazing efficiency.

So today it was unusually warm (around 94-98 degrees). Had my AC set to 72 and wow, what a range hit!

I notice my average power consumption for a 35 mile run (1/2 streets, 1/2 freeway) was 318 wh/mi.

In the evening, weather was 72 deg. Did the reverse drive while adding some hill driving and came in at 226 wh/mi! Could the AC really use 40% more energy?

So today it was unusually warm (around 94-98 degrees). Had my AC set to 72 and wow, what a range hit!

I notice my average power consumption for a 35 mile run (1/2 streets, 1/2 freeway) was 318 wh/mi.

In the evening, weather was 72 deg. Did the reverse drive while adding some hill driving and came in at 226 wh/mi! Could the AC really use 40% more energy?
my experience in the S has been pretty efficient ~330 W/mi air con on or off.

TeslaFi sounds like a good entry point for a hacker to get into your car system. Anyone else but me worried about this?
that's what pin to drive is for if you're really worried ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA

If you don’t pre cool your car before you start driving the car will use a lot of energy to cool down In the beginning, the opposite in winter. If you would have continued and drived let’s say 150 miles your average consumption would most likely have dropped.

I just completed about an 1100mi round trip from Atlanta - Melbourne (FL, about an hour east of Orlando). Loved the car, AWD non P, 19s, but efficiency didn't seem great.

Temps: drive down, started at 90F cooled down to about 80F towards the end of the drive after the sun set. Drive back to Atlanta started around 85 and cooled to 75 near arrival

AC: on auto, set to about 73

Weight: about 400# in pax and luggage on the way down, 250# on the way back

Winds: for the most part I think negligible. Checked the weather at some regional airports along the route and all were low (<5kts generally)

Elevation change: about -1k ft down +1k back

Speeds: between 70 and 80 most of the time, nearly all on AP. Occasionally a little slower and very occasionally up to 85 just to pass

Looking at how much charge I had remaining at supercharger stops, I averaged about 240-250 miles of range, which is about 300-310 wh/mi, and closely matches the counters.

I totally get that driving faster us going to eat up batter faster, but over prolonged periods of time, the best consumption I ever got going 80, was around 300. If I had just supercharged, this number was around 330. Slowing down to 70, I got only around 290 at best.

These numbers seem a lot worse than what others have posted. Am I wrong in thinking that?

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Our first 1000 mile on our AWD with 18" (caps on for 600 miles during long trips, caps off for local driving) has resulted in 230 Wh/mi average, about 105% of rated range. For freeway driving we generally cruise in the 65-70 mph range and get about 237 Wh/mi on flat roads. AC is on when temps are in the 75-95F range (most of those miles). Just turned AC off and set temp=LO this week as we have outside temperatures in the 55-70F range.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Our first 1000 mile on our AWD with 18" (caps on for 600 miles during long trips, caps off for local driving) has resulted in 230 Wh/mi average, about 105% of rated range. For freeway driving we generally cruise in the 65-70 mph range and get about 237 Wh/mi on flat roads. AC is on when temps are in the 75-95F range (most of those miles). Just turned AC off and set temp=LO this week as we have outside temperatures in the 55-70F range.
So it really does seem as though the 18s really do make a difference of 5-10% vs 19s. The first 500 miles I’ve driven the car is around 255 wh/mi according to the computer which is about 10% higher than your numbers and about 5% less than rated range.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I echo others who have the Performance trim (I have the Performance Upgrade option, i.e., 20" wheels): I get about 60-70% of the EPA rated range during the late summer season here in VA. Fall is here now and I see that once I had the AC off and just using the fan, my range consumption went down about 50%. For example, my daily 4 mile trip used to cost me about 7-8 miles of range while using AC set at 72 degrees in the mid 80s or so. Now, weather for the past week has been about mid 70s when I drove and I only consumed about 3-4 miles of range without using AC.

I echo others who have the Performance trim (I have the Performance Upgrade option, i.e., 20" wheels): I get about 60-70% of the EPA rated range during the late summer season here in VA. Fall is here now and I see that once I had the AC off and just using the fan, my range consumption went down about 50%. For example, my daily 4 mile trip used to cost me about 7-8 miles of range while using AC set at 72 degrees in the mid 80s or so. Now, weather for the past week has been about mid 70s when I drove and I only consumed about 3-4 miles of range without using AC.
That’s been my experience as well with the AC. The other day temp was in mid 90s with AC set to 72 my wh/mi was around 300-319 and that evening when it was high 60s/low 70s same route was around 230-240 wh/mi

That’s been my experience as well with the AC. The other day temp was in mid 90s with AC set to 72 my wh/mi was around 300-319 and that evening when it was high 60s/low 70s same route was around 230-240 wh/mi

I usually drive with the AC set to 68-70. Is it really that inefficient? I would’ve expected AC usage to be negligible compared to the power train draw.

I usually drive with the AC set to 68-70. Is it really that inefficient? I would’ve expected AC usage to be negligible compared to the power train draw.

I wouldn't categorize it as inefficient. If you use AC, something needs to cool down on the outside (the condenser) and the battery for the extra power draw. Heat removal will suck some extra power.

Would be useful for Tesla to have a breakdown of energy usage by various subsystems in the energy app. My old LEAF had this feature.

I agree, that would be great. I had a fairly hard time doing a 250 mile trip the other day with 4 people, rain, AC(keep windows from fogging), and heat. It'd be nice to know what the culprit was. ~275 Wh/m with careful driving.