Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Test Mule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if we'll also see either the new colors (copper/burnt-orange or green) and/or increased HP models.
I think the previous analysis in the giant battery/motor thread was that power is now battery-limited on the P85/P85+, so an increased-HP model would require a more powerful battery.

IMO, I certainly think new colors are overdue. Not to disparage anyone's color choices, most of them are quite nice, but the way I see it the current options are white, white, nearly white, grey, black, basically black, basically black, red, and brown. Some diversity would be great. I'd have been all over that burnt orange color we saw, or something like the bright metallic blue Signature custom color one-off.

Last edited:
Prediction: AWD will first be available in Q2 in a highly specialized (beyond P85+) Model S version, and offered as a regular option late Q4, along with Model X introduction.

Gentlemen, get your wallets ready.

A 3 second-ish family sedan would turn heads and make some news. I'd imagine a few people would upgrade. Hard to believe a regular P85 may look long in the tooth after 18 months. Still a great car though no matter what comes out.

Well you know that second motor is going to give you mad crazy power. Add that to the P85+ and it will be insane.

Given the total weight, mass distribution, 4 wide/sticky/summer/track tires and a microsecond DSC what would be theoretical fastest 0-60 time when limited by the grip of the tires?

And that might be how fast AWD P100++ will go ;) I don't see any 4 door family sedans on the list yet? http://www.thesupercars.org/fastest-cars/fastest-cars-by-acceleration-top-10-list/

Last edited:
Breaking the 3 second barrier would have a huge psychological impact. There is of course no practical different between 3.4 seconds and 2.9 seconds but bragging rights mean a lot even if you rarely use it. I have no idea if this is physically possible though given the weight as discoducky said.

Prediction: AWD will first be available in Q2 in a highly specialized (beyond P85+) Model S version, and offered as a regular option late Q4, along with Model X introduction.

Gentlemen, get your wallets ready.

Tesla loves f*$%ing with my plans. :biggrin:

Getting the car in mid-Q2 and need it for a long trip in mid-Q3.

Probably going to end up needing to do one of the following:

a) Order a RWD Model S and keep it for only a few months (in order to take my trip) before trading for AWD (Bye bye $$$$)

b) Wait for AWD Model S, which will be announced but not yet available, and miss having a Model S for my trip in Q3 :crying:

Given the total weight, mass distribution, 4 wide/sticky/summer/track tires and a microsecond DSC what would be theoretical fastest 0-60 time when limited by the grip of the tires?
Such speculations are my favorite :)
Say the vehicle and driver weighs 2400kg and tesla somehow manages to output constant max power (310kW) for a few seconds during acceleration using a CVT and some supersticky no-slip tires then 0-60 time could be ~ 3 s.

For less ideal vehicle configuration, battery power will need to be increased to offset limitations of a single-speed gearbox a bit.

The battery box could be extended into the trunk (skip the foodwell in the trunk) I guess this would be the P100 option, no need to have a new batteri chemistry. With a P100 you would solve the isue about battery limit power output. The 3,3 sec model s will soon be revealet. My guess real production will start Q3 and delivery late 2014.

The battery box could be extended into the trunk (skip the foodwell in the trunk) I guess this would be the P100 option, no need to have a new batteri chemistry. With a P100 you would solve the isue about battery limit power output. The 3,3 sec model s will soon be revealet. My guess real production will start Q3 and delivery late 2014.
If I remember correctly the Model S currently uses 3100mAh cells and Panasonic already has 4000mAh cells available.

85kWh / 3100mAh * 4000mAh = 110kWh

So a 110kWh battery is possible if that tech exists and is automotive grade.

Don't know about the discharge rate though, that might be the same in Amps.