Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Test Mule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it so high? Do you think it has MX suspension pasts?

- - - Updated - - -

...sorry for misspelling, I meant PARTS

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't you just shut off the motor that approaches its redline and let the other motor do all the work? Since there are no cummutator, windings and other sensitive parts in the rotor rotor there is no such thing as overspeeding once turned off, no?

I am by no means an engineer, however to conserve energy I would opt for an electronic clutch that would disengage the wheels from the axle so you do not need to use energy to spin things that are not necessary.

Couldn't you just shut off the motor that approaches its redline and let the other motor do all the work? Since there are no cummutator, windings and other sensitive parts in the rotor rotor there is no such thing as overspeeding once turned off, no?
No. As TEG said the motor is always connected to the wheels, so if wheel speed increases enough it could spin the motor faster than it's max RPM, regardless of the motor being "on" or "off".

Who said power is limited by the battery? Hybrid cars with 1/10th of a MS battery size have 100 hp. Means an MS could have 1000 hp, no?
Again, no. Different cell chemistry means different C rates, which means power output. Hybrids use cells optimized for higher output rates.

- - - Updated - - -

I am by no means an engineer, however to conserve energy I would opt for an electronic clutch that would disengage the wheels from the axle so you do not need to use energy to spin things that are not necessary.
Not worth the cost, complexity, and added weight. An unpowered electric motor that's just freewheeling would have minimal drag.

It probably just sets the motor controller to "off", no current flow to or from the motor.

Note that the ActiveE, using a different kind of electric motor, as this to say about shifting into Neutral:
The selector lever position N (neutral) is thus not realized by opening a clutch in the transmission. Instead the electrical machine is controlled so that it does not generate torque (motor or/generator). One can imagine as if the windings of the stator were open and no voltage is generated. In fact, there is naturally a voltage generated by the electrical machine electronics although the amplitude, frequency and phase of which are controlled so that the rotor can turn without a load (torque=0 Nm).

The funky translation from German uses "electrical machine" instead of "electric motor".

I take this to mean that in the ActiveE, when in Neutral, the controller isn't "off", instead it matches the back EMF from the motor.

No. As TEG said the motor is always connected to the wheels, so if wheel speed increases enough it could spin the motor faster than it's max RPM, regardless of the motor being "on" or "off".
What does it matter if motor spins a little faster than max rpm if it is off and just free wheeling? Is there anything in the rotor that gets hurt I thought it was a "dead" piece of metal

I take this to mean that in the ActiveE, when in Neutral, the controller isn't "off", instead it matches the back EMF from the motor.
If they use a permanent magnet motor then the rotor will generate current when spinning, while the AC induction motor that Tesla uses will not unless the controller is powering it.

What does it matter if motor spins a little faster than max rpm if it is off and just free wheeling? Is there anything in the rotor that gets hurt I thought it was a "dead" piece of metal
There are still bearings that have a speed limit, and the rotor itself could overspeed and come apart. I'm not sure which is the limiting factor in the Tesla motor, but there is indeed a limit.

Most max rpm numbers for motors specify a point where, if exceeded, would result in the motor breaking itself apart (bearing and rotor stability limits).

If there's a permanent magnet (like the ActiveE motor that woof mentioned), it's going to generate a current and might overheat the motor.

If they use a permanent magnet motor then the rotor will generate current when spinning, while the AC induction motor that Tesla uses will not unless the controller is powering it.

There are still bearings that have a speed limit, and the rotor itself could overspeed and come apart. I'm not sure which is the limiting factor in the Tesla motor, but there is indeed a limit.
A TM investor presentation states that the MS motor is capable of 18000 rpm. At 130 mph I think it spins at about 15500 rpm. But the 18000 probably refers to an electrical limit above which the motor is inefficient. The mechanical limit might be higher.

A TM investor presentation states that the MS motor is capable of 18000 rpm. At 130 mph I think it spins at about 15500 rpm. But the 18000 probably refers to an electrical limit above which the motor is inefficient. The mechanical limit might be higher.

Motor Trend listed the "redline" at 16,000 rpm, whatever that means. They also state the rpm at 60mph to be 7350. Since we know it's a fixed gear, we can extrapolate easily to get 15925 rpm @ 130mph*, which is pretty close to your number.

*7350/60*130=15925

It's not like it's blind hope either. We KNOW AWD is coming to the X, and it only makes sense that 1) they will need to test it -- easier to do it on a current platform and 2) it will eventually come to the S.

Yesterday in London, Elon said the MX would be offered ONLY in AWD form. My take on that is if they can't engineer the MX to launch with both RWD/AWD (as on the website) then cost is likely the reason. Therefore, it seems to me the prospect of an AWD MS has become significantly less likely in the near or mid term. If you want/need AWD you'll simply be pointed to the MX. If you don't, then the MS will be your flavor.

Yesterday in London, Elon said the MX would be offered ONLY in AWD form.

I can think of several reasons why:

1. They'd have to do a large fraction of the crash testing in both configurations
  2. Their market research shows that most sales will be the AWD version (pretty much all Northerners will get AWD, and many others will opt for it anyway)
  3. Fewer configurations makes for easier manufacturing
  4. Better margins

In London Elon also said at 130 mph the battery is doing about 16,000 rpm. He said they could take the car to higher Autobahn speeds but they haven't done the necessary testing to be confident of the motor at 17,000+ rpm.

As to the original post, per @AmpedRealtor it does seem possible that this is Leilani's "special" car.

Lets hope Tesla corrects the horrible design flaw and stops batteries from spinning ;) Probably Tesla simply wants to keep customers from flip floping as they usually do before chosing among all the S versions and have some simplicity to speed up sales. So buy an S or RWD or X for AWD. They likely will offer both drive versions in both models down the line but don't want buyers to postpone purchases waiting for it. Ups, did I say that out loud? :)

We just got hit with some snow up in PA and I got to REALLY test my 19" Rials with Blizzaks. Night and day compared to last year. I don't know if there was a software change as well, but having the snow tires on made a HUGE difference. The car felt more in control than it did last year.

Close enough to AWD for me.