Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWDs on the way to Canada?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my call from Tesla! It's finally feeling real!! (OK, ordering a specific config was half real too ;)

I've ordered a red AWD, LR, EAP, 18" wheels - see below.

I spoke with Rachel just now calling from the Toronto Lawrence store to confirm my details. No VIN yet, but she suggested I should receive one in the next few weeks, and to expect delivery 4-6 weeks after that, so "mid to late September" she said. My order currently indicates "Estimated delivery: Sep. '18 - Nov. '18", so that would be much better than anticipated (feared!).

Since I live in Ottawa, she offered a pickup in either Montreal or Toronto. I chose Toronto because I have some friends I'll visit :) Plus, I'm looking forward to the longer drive home, Supercharging along the 401, and some mixed driving at higher speed on the 401 and more twisty and scenic Highway 7. The sumac trees would be out - it should be a gorgeous drive!

upload_2018-7-23_11-40-23.png

I just got my call from Tesla! It's finally feeling real!! (OK, ordering a specific config was half real too ;)

I've ordered a red AWD, LR, EAP, 18" wheels - see below.

I spoke with Rachel just now calling from the Toronto Lawrence store to confirm my details. No VIN yet, but she suggested I should receive one in the next few weeks, and to expect delivery 4-6 weeks after that, so "mid to late September" she said. My order currently indicates "Estimated delivery: Sep. '18 - Nov. '18", so that would be much better than anticipated (feared!).

Since I live in Ottawa, she offered a pickup in either Montreal or Toronto. I chose Toronto because I have some friends I'll visit :) Plus, I'm looking forward to the longer drive home, Supercharging along the 401, and some mixed driving at higher speed on the 401 and more twisty and scenic Highway 7. The sumac trees would be out - it should be a gorgeous drive!

View attachment 319388

Nice! :)

I actually called Tesla this morning because after seeing the Blue colour in the wild I'm strongly considering switching from midnight silver to blue. But I wanted to know if that would cause any potential delays that were significant (ie, put me to the bottom of the pile). The guy on the phone was actually very helpful (despite what I've read in other posts). He couldn't give an actual date, but did say they could switch the colour with no charge at this point, and likely my delivery window would have been early october/late september if I keep the colour as is. Switching to Blue could cause a 2-3 week delay, or possibly none at all. Obviously this was non-committal, but I'm 90% decided to switch the colour.

@jkirkwood001 what was your date of reservation/configuration? Seems you will be one of the first to receive the car, so curious how your order lines up with mine. I reserved late June/ordered July 3rd. Hoping I'll be towards the front of the line since many are waiting for SR and many others did not order AWD since it was never on the Ontario rebate list.

...@jkirkwood001 what was your date of reservation/configuration? Seems you will be one of the first to receive the car, so curious how your order lines up with mine. I reserved late June/ordered July 3rd. Hoping I'll be towards the front of the line since many are waiting for SR and many others did not order AWD since it was never on the Ontario rebate list.

Sure, @pcons, it's in my tag line. Reserved later than most on Jan. 16 2018. Invited and ordered June 28th, 5:35 p.m.

BTW, after looking at rates posted on this site, I contacted a Tesla loan officer to ask if I could switch to loan from "pay cash". He said sure, and it would not effect my delivery timeline. My order page just got updated today and I've just submitted the financing request. We'll see!

Sure, @pcons, it's in my tag line. Reserved later than most on Jan. 16 2018. Invited and ordered June 28th, 5:35 p.m.

BTW, after looking at rates posted on this site, I contacted a Tesla loan officer to ask if I could switch to loan from "pay cash". He said sure, and it would not effect my delivery timeline. My order page just got updated today and I've just submitted the financing request. We'll see!

Also, I absolutely need AWD to reach our cottage in the winter (icy hills, we're a Subaru family), so I ordered AWD on June 28th even though we were all wondering about when Ford would pull the trigger, and that AWD was even more likely to miss the rebate. I thought, I could wait and order AWD + SR to save $9 K, but I'm even more positive the rebate will be gone by 2019. So I convinced myself to order AWD + LR with a glimmer of hope the rebate would pay for the LR difference. Nope. Still, I'm not disappointed (with the car - Ford and the Conservatives, that's another matter), but I'm lucky to be able to afford the car anyway (...palms sweating!!).

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Also, I absolutely need AWD to reach our cottage in the winter (icy hills, we're a Subaru family), so I ordered AWD on June 28th even though we were all wondering about when Ford would pull the trigger, and that AWD was even more likely to miss the rebate. I thought, I could wait and order AWD + SR to save $9 K, but I'm even more positive the rebate will be gone by 2019. So I convinced myself to order AWD + LR with a glimmer of hope the rebate would pay for the LR difference. Nope. Still, I'm not disappointed (with the car - Ford and the Conservatives, that's another matter), but I'm lucky to be able to afford the car anyway (...palms sweating!!).

Yeah, I did similar soul searching regarding what to order and the possibility of not getting the rebate. What I'm telling myself now is that since AWD was never added to the rebate list in ontario, no one with an AWD would have gotten the rebate and that will factor into resale value if (probably not) I ever decide to sell the car.

On a side note...I'm hoping the silver lining to cancelling the rebate would also mean I will get slightly more for my 2017 volt on a private sale, since I figure used EVs will be in more demand without the rebate....not like its going to go up 14k in value, but even a few $k extra helps offset the cost of the model 3 :)

Yeah, I did similar soul searching regarding what to order and the possibility of not getting the rebate. What I'm telling myself now is that since AWD was never added to the rebate list in ontario, no one with an AWD would have gotten the rebate and that will factor into resale value if (probably not) I ever decide to sell the car.

Similar thinking here (effectively makes AWD a ~$20k option vs RWD). I'm jealous of the folks in BC where AWD was recently added to their rebate list.

Similar thinking here (effectively makes AWD a ~$20k option vs RWD). I'm jealous of the folks in BC where AWD was recently added to their rebate list.

Depending on how big a batch Tesla sends up here, we don't know how many people with AWD orders can take advantage of it. There's a little over 5 million left in the rebate pot (~1000 cars). Once the rebate pot is depleted, the rebate program will most likely be terminated.

What! Hadn’t realized that the AWD configuration would still qualify for the rebate in B.C. That changes things for me, since I wanted AWD, but configured RWD to get the incentive and faster delivery - not. Now thinking it may be faster to just re-configure with AWD.

Nice! :)

I actually called Tesla this morning because after seeing the Blue colour in the wild I'm strongly considering switching from midnight silver to blue. But I wanted to know if that would cause any potential delays that were significant (ie, put me to the bottom of the pile). The guy on the phone was actually very helpful (despite what I've read in other posts). He couldn't give an actual date, but did say they could switch the colour with no charge at this point, and likely my delivery window would have been early october/late september if I keep the colour as is. Switching to Blue could cause a 2-3 week delay, or possibly none at all. Obviously this was non-committal, but I'm 90% decided to switch the colour.

I have a DBM AWD LR on order with an estimated Sept - Nov delivery here in Toront and I have been thinking about switching my order from the Blue to the Silver - I have not yet seen a blue in the wild, only in pictures and in some it looks great, a nice rich deep blue, but in some others it looks either almost purple, or like a light unattractive “Honda Civic Blue”. I am really not sure what to do. I no longer have an Edit button but I called Tesla and after being on a hold for a long time, they told me similar - may not change your delivery window, but impossible to know. You liked the Blue when you saw it in real?

I have a DBM AWD LR on order with an estimated Sept - Nov delivery here in Toront and I have been thinking about switching my order from the Blue to the Silver - I have not yet seen a blue in the wild, only in pictures and in some it looks great, a nice rich deep blue, but in some others it looks either almost purple, or like a light unattractive “Honda Civic Blue”. I am really not sure what to do. I no longer have an Edit button but I called Tesla and after being on a hold for a long time, they told me similar - may not change your delivery window, but impossible to know. You liked the Blue when you saw it in real?
My neighbor got the blue in an early June delivery (Vancouver). Looks very nice, but definitely a darker blue than shown the marketing materials, but definitely not purplish.

Yes, it looks really nice in blue if you ask me...I did post a bunch of pictures in one of the threads (i'll go back and check which one it was and link it here). I also took some videos of the blue with the aero wheels with the hubcaps removed. I really liked it, enough that I did call Tesla and switch my order over.

Edit:

Check this thread on page 107 about 1/2 way down. I put a bunch of pictures comparing MSM to Blue next to my volt. The Tesla pictures online show it looking a lot like my blue volt, but its darker. FYI, these pictures were taken in the morning so it does tend to make it look a little darker, but it does look great in person to me...

Model 3 Canada - Confirmed Orders Only thread

Last edited:
What! Hadn’t realized that the AWD configuration would still qualify for the rebate in B.C. That changes things for me, since I wanted AWD, but configured RWD to get the incentive and faster delivery - not. Now thinking it may be faster to just re-configure with AWD.
i called into tesla at 7 am this morning and lucked out as the system told me I only had a 5 minute wait. 55 minutes later someone picked up and I asked about changing to AWD and was told it wouldn't be an issue as my vehicle still hadn't been put into production. To accomplish this I was told they'd send me an email with the form but I still haven't received anything.

I am really looking forward to getting the car but Tesla really isn't making it easy to like dealing with them. How is it that Americans are getting their vehicle as fast as 11 days after ordering when we are being told to just keep on waiting. Very frustrating.