TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Awesome easy improvement with trunk lighting

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Firewired, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Firewired

Firewired Member

I have the premium lighting package with the three lights in the trunk. Even so it has seemed that the light has always seemed dim and hard to see things in the trunk at night. I just wanted to give a shout out to the awesome interior LED upgrade from Abstract Ocean (AO). I have no connection with them, but I just am extremely satisfied and amazed at the difference. My 14 year old son did the switch out of all three in the back and one in the frunk in about 10 minutes. They were simply pull the old on out, unplug, plug the new one in. They look identical to the factory Tesla one, and per AO's description are supposed to be 16 times brighter. I believe it, what a difference! The trunk (and frunk) are now extremely well light using the oem plugs and existing holes.

2. Stijn

Stijn Member

Any link to share? Tnx`!

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

4. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

JFYI, there's another long-running thread here on TMC about the development, initial testing, and initial experiences with these lights here:

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

(No connection with AO, just another satisfied customer with ten lights installed. And like the OP I had my kid helping swap lights too.)

5. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

They're currently out of stock for this item unfortunately. I emailed them and they said they hope to have it in stock by end of January or sooner.

6. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I installed these in the frunk and two in the rear. Very easy and work great. I put one in the rear hatch but didn't like it as is shined in my face when loading/unloading, removed it. I put it in the foot well of the passenger side but did not notice much difference. Might try it next in the puddle lights.
    Fantastic product.

7. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Just received my set today

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Back in stock now....lots of em! :)

9. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

These are great... Super easy install, and the difference is remarkable

10. Wall-e

Wall-e New Member

The four inside the car - front foot wells, and underneath the seat are super easy to swap out. They make a big difference inside the car.

11. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

After my great satisfaction with the frunk and trunk lights, I got 5 more. I replaced the front 2 under door (puddle?) lights and cut out the recessed areas in the rear and mounted two there. Really cool to have the brighter lights, especially the rear two that I didn't have lights before. All relatively easy. Have two more left for the rear underseats. My Tesla did not come with the premium lighting package.

12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Well done! Is there a TMC discount?

13. cynix

cynix Member

On a RHD Model S, the front footwell lights are very difficult to swap. But they're totally worth the effort!

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

I've done the frunk, trunk, front & rear footwells, puddle lamps and red warning lamps on both of our S (skipped the glovebox). Really a great upgrade. Now, what do I do with 32 OEM lamps?

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Send them to AO for re-commissioning ... perhaps they can reuse the lenses?

16. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

One owner's "leftover lamps" is another's "Premium Lighting Upgrade!"

17. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Ha! No thanks. As it is, I've taken over 3 rooms of the house and one attic, my wife would be really displeased if I take another room for recycling :) We originally did look at ways to upgrade the OEM lights, but they're a real pain to crack open, so it wouldn't have been an attractive option for most customers.

- - - Updated - - -

There was before Xmas...if you've bought from AO before, you've probably got enough points for a discount. I can check for you if you PM me your email address.

18. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

This is awesome, I've ordered the 3-pack set (12 bulbs + 1 for glove box) for mine. My 85D does not have the premium lighting package either -- the rear door puddle lights were my concern. I was wondering if it would be as simple as cutting out the recessed areas on the bottom of the rear doors and finding the lighting cable -- looks like you did it and it worked well.

Can you elaborate a bit on any issues you ran into? What did you use to cut out the recessed area? How far up inside the door was the lighting cable, and was it taped or otherwise secured inside? Did you need to remove any door trim?

19. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

This thread has most of the helpful info, including this quote:

20. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I followed these instructions and used these lights which I fastened under the parcel shelf on each side of the trunk.
    These are very bright and make all the difference in the world.
    http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FKPJKBU