Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does having always on background refresh and location lead to iPhone battery drainage?
No, the background fetch in iOS is very infrequent and is policed by iOS. The location isn't really tracked (only arrivals are detected) so it consumes virtually no battery.
Apple forces apps that consume too much battery due to background operations to put a disclaimer in the app description in the app store. Stats app doesn't have such disclaimer.

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
@rawmean

I just realized that my iPhone (which is provided by my company) is locked down as far as accessing icloud drive is concerned. I am unable to enable it because its greyed out by our corporate policy. What does this mean as far as what functionality I may or may not have in the app?

Just took delivery today 12/04, and drove to a super charger and home (~50 miles or so), and logged into the app for the first time tonight.

Not sure what this means for my use of the app, or what I am missing not having icloud drive. Thanks.

@rawmean

I just realized that my iPhone (which is provided by my company) is locked down as far as accessing icloud drive is concerned. I am unable to enable it because its greyed out by our corporate policy. What does this mean as far as what functionality I may or may not have in the app?

Just took delivery today 12/04, and drove to a super charger and home (~50 miles or so), and logged into the app for the first time tonight.

Not sure what this means for my use of the app, or what I am missing not having icloud drive. Thanks.
Congratulations on the car!
The app stores your data in your private iCloud. This synchronizes the data across your multiple devices and maintains the data if you delete and reinstall the app.
So iCloud is definitely required. iPhone without iCloud is fairly impaired as a lot of apps use iCloud as their backend because it's free, secure and it doesn't require users to create a separate account.
If you have an ipad, you can install the app on it. If you'd like a refund, contact me using support in the app.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Sure, what is it that you want to use ifttt do wrt this app

Idk like maybe when I pull in to my drive house lights or whatever will come on or maybe like if my security cameras spot something after a certain time at night my car lights or horn will activity, the possibilities are endless. I’m going to download the app now... do you think it would be best to remove any other third-party apps for my car? I really don’t use them. I only have the Remote S app to work with Siri but it really never works..

Congratulations on the car!
The app stores your data in your private iCloud. This synchronizes the data across your multiple devices and maintains the data if you delete and reinstall the app.
So iCloud is definitely required. iPhone without iCloud is fairly impaired as a lot of apps use iCloud as their backend because it's free, secure and it doesn't require users to create a separate account.
If you have an ipad, you can install the app on it. If you'd like a refund, contact me using support in the app.

Thanks for the quick response. Sent an email through the app support.

Idk like maybe when I pull in to my drive house lights or whatever will come on or maybe like if my security cameras spot something after a certain time at night my car lights or horn will activity, the possibilities are endless. I’m going to download the app now... do you think it would be best to remove any other third-party apps for my car? I really don’t use them. I only have the Remote S app to work with Siri but it really never works..

I'll think about the IFTTT. The geofencing use case that you mentioned does not need a Tesla. I do these type of geofencing using my iPhone and I've written a couple of apps related to these kind of automation: QuickControl for Nest Thermostats and ControlHub for Insteon)

Regarding third-party apps:
Removing them from your iPhone may not stop them from pining your car because most of them use a server to ping the car frequently. If you don't use them, I suggest changing your tesla password before installing Stats.

I'll think about the IFTTT. The geofencing use case that you mentioned does not need a Tesla. I do these type of geofencing using my iPhone and I've written a couple of apps related to these kind of automation: QuickControl for Nest Thermostats and ControlHub for Insteon)

Regarding third-party apps:
Removing them from your iPhone may not stop them from pining your car because most of them use a server to ping the car frequently. If you don't use them, I suggest changing your tesla password before installing Stats.

But for me to make the Tesla preheat via my iPhone location I would need the car in IFTTT? I do use a lot of ifttt applets with all my SmartThings and other stuff. I just it could be useful with the car.

Thank you for the tip to change the password I had no clue

Can send notifications to my TiVo via ifttt if my car doors are open or whatever... I’m just thinking of some used stuff

I’m alway from my office all day, so maybe I could make it when
IF
THIS: my iPhone arrives at office
THEN
THAT: Preheat/cool car

For pre-heat/cool to have any effect, climate must be turned on at least 10 minutes before you get to the car location (e.g., your office).
It also creates all sort of undesirable side-effects: whenever I go to grocery store (using another car or bike or walk) and come back pre-heat starts.

The app does support a pre-heat/cool scheduling if you have a regular schedule.

Reactions: BobAbooey
For pre-heat/cool to have any effect, climate must be turned on at least 10 minutes before you get to the car location (e.g., your office).
It also creates all sort of undesirable side-effects: whenever I go to grocery store (using another car or bike or walk) and come back pre-heat starts.

That’s true didn’t think of that. Do you think you could add a Siri shortcut for unlocking car doors? If not no big deal. Thanks for all ur help I’m playin with the app now looks really cool. I spent over $12 at Starbucks today on just 2 coffees so ur app is will worth the $9.99...

Reactions: erthquake
That’s true didn’t think of that. Do you think you could add a Siri shortcut for unlocking car doors? If not no big deal. Thanks for all ur help I’m playin with the app now looks really cool. I spent over $12 at Starbucks today on just 2 coffees so ur app is will worth the $9.99...

Thanks. I have added the "unlock door" Siri Shortcut and the beta test is almost over. It should be released sometime next week. If you want it now, contact me from within the app and I'll send you an invite.

Coffee is definitely over-priced :)

I have not had any luck with scheduled pre-heat. It seems to wake my Model 3 up at the scheduled time (no longer shows sleeeping in Tesla iOS widget) but never turns the heat on. I have no problem with the manual climate toggle on switch in your app. Any thoughts?