Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this app need to run with background refresh enabled to work because I disabled that for everything
Yes, the background refresh must be enabled if you want the app to be able to collect data for your car and display it in the app.
The impact of background refresh is ~1% on iPhone battery (please see an earlier post in this thread from me which includes an screenshot of the battery consumption for the background operation).

• Informative
Reactions: notAnExpert
Yes, the background refresh must be enabled if you want the app to be able to collect data for your car and display it in the app.
The impact of background refresh is ~1% on iPhone battery (please see an earlier post in this thread from me which includes an screenshot of the battery consumption for the background operation).

What about battery effects with location always on? Not used to seeing the gps logo all the time in my status bar area at the top left

What about battery effects with location always on? Not used to seeing the gps logo all the time in my status bar area at the top left
That has been addressed earlier on this thread as well, but here it is again:
The app does not track your location constantly while in the background. The Always permission is required for the "open door notification" feature of the app so that iOS launch the app when you "arrive" in a new location so that the app can check the status of the doors. This has virtually no impact on your iPhone battery. You can revoke the "always" location permission if you are not interested in the "open door notification" feature of the app.

A5B57FA5-9682-4A40-9700-FBACA85DFB60.png

Yep

Attachments

• F3DED708-6013-4C19-9C15-131C313F439B.png
    F3DED708-6013-4C19-9C15-131C313F439B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
I was the one that started this thread and I still love the app. But in my opinion/experience the answer is yes. YMMV.

It was using 6% of my battery (iPhone X). I have disabled background on my phone and installed the app on an iPad that is always plugged in with background enabled. The way this app works, which is awesome, the iPad can do the work but the phone will still see all the data and have all the control it needs.

The developer might not think 6% is much, and many folks might not think it's much.

It can be a little tricky measuring load on an iPhone because it's 6% of the "work" it did. If the phone did nothing else but this app it will naturally be a higher percentage (because it has nothing else to do). If your phone is doing tons of other stuff this app might show very low. But I know what similar apps are using relative and it used more than I wish on my daily phone. Because of how iPhone presents battery usage it's very hard to compare one users battery usage to another.

I have put in a request to the developer to add a user controlled "Cap" of how often it's allowed to communicate. Even if that impairs some of the stats. I would prefer have that control. If iOS wakes the app every 1 minute, I want the option in the app that tells it to ignore "wakes" until it's been say at least 5 minutes. To use 6% of my battery it had to be communicating quite a lot. You can't make iOS call you faster/more often. But you can ignore requests to wakeup and process. Perhaps the developer feels any slower than it runs now would impair functionality.

Again, I still love the app and use it. But it does use a bit of juice. I've not seen any impact to the car.
My average over 10 days is 1-2%. Very low and reasonable background activity.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31
I turned background app refresh on for this app yesterday and when I got home I noticed my car didn't sleep for 4 hours and went down 1MPH per hour parked in my 75 degree garage. I rebooted the car via soft reboot but no change. I left it go another hour, another MPH was lost so I uninstalled the app and it stopped. I like this app, want to try it again and it seems others aren't having this issue?

I turned background app refresh on for this app yesterday and when I got home I noticed my car didn't sleep for 4 hours and went down 1MPH per hour parked in my 75 degree garage. I rebooted the car via soft reboot but no change. I left it go another hour, another MPH was lost so I uninstalled the app and it stopped. I like this app, want to try it again and it seems others aren't having this issue?

How do you know it didn’t go to sleep?

I had 12 miles of phantom drain. I’m not sure why. Also with my 120v, I was charging 0mph. I stopped the charging and restarted and it started to charge again. I never had this happen and believe it may be due to the app. My car is in an enclosed garage

Reactions: bottomsup
My car doesn't have have a problem sleeping with the background refresh enabled.

What is your average drain rate? You can compare your average drain rate with others whose the app using the phantom drain histogram shown in the app.

5FBB6F47-D90D-4B1B-96B4-7D2642A6EBF5.jpeg
Swiping left in my iPhone shows the Tesla app widget which always says "asleep last updated" when i have not accessed the Tesla app directly for more than 10 mins or so. It showed it awake for 4-5 hours as i noticed the drain ~1mph

Not sure what you mean by losing a MPH. the unit of phantom drain loss is either miles or energy (kwh). MPH is the unit for phantom drain *rate*.

Also, while the Tesla widget can tell you if the car is currently asleep or awake, it does not tell you for how long the car has been asleep or awake

Last edited:
12 miles over what period of time.
Most people get an average of 0.2 lost miles per hour. Please see the histogram in the app.
Pre-heating increases phantom drain.

I attached the picture in a previous post. I believe I got home around 2PM on 12/8 and plugged in. The app graph times it as 12/9 00:59 with 12.3 miles of phantom drain. I believe the temperature in the car when i was just checking on the car status was 45? I will also mention that the car would not wake up from sleep as both the official Tesla app and Stats app would not wake up the car. I've had problems with this intermittently despite wifi being strong (I have devices further than the garage with no problems). Not sure if the car was doing something but I would imagine it was in that "deep sleep" state if both apps could not wake up the car.

I attached the picture in a previous post. I believe I got home around 2PM on 12/8 and plugged in. The app graph times it as 12/9 00:59 with 12.3 miles of phantom drain. I believe the temperature in the car when i was just checking on the car status was 45? I will also mention that the car would not wake up from sleep as both the official Tesla app and Stats app would not wake up the car. I've had problems with this intermittently despite wifi being strong (I have devices further than the garage with no problems). Not sure if the car was doing something but I would imagine it was in that "deep sleep" state if both apps could not wake up the car.

Thanks. The image that you attached to your post only shows the number of lost miles. It does not show the duration of phantom drain.
If the Tesla app cannot connect to the car, hen no third-party app can connect the app either.

Odd feature request: Ability to have multiple cars on multiple logins. Our two Tesla's are on two separate accounts, no app (including Tesla's) can handle this, without logging out/in, which is a major PIA. It be really nice to have one app to rule them all.

So I debated buying this app. I think I’ve spent about $30 total on apps in my iPhone lifecycle (started with the 4). I couldn’t understand what exactly it did, but knew that it would keep stats for me that would be useful later in my ownership. To be honest, I’m still struggling to understand most of the graphs.

Anyway - I’m in my first week of ownership and the Stats app just paid for itself, because tonight I got an alert that “I had not closed my doors properly”

Just bought this app - looks great. But I'm trying to schedule heating/cooling and it's not turning on. I'm currently in Charleston, SC and my car in in Denver, CO. I've tried both setting the time for EST and MDT and it won't turn on. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Thanks @swegman for disagreeing with my post as it reminded me to update. (Although not sure how you disagree with what I was experiencing, but oh well).

After communicating with the developer it's now working for me.

Note from developer:
Glad to hear. I think something that might have affected it before is that the cars seem to take much longer to come out of sleep (after v9 update). I made a change to allow for more time before it gives up.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31