Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful buzzing/grinding noise coming from back of 2023 Model Y while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,
Just accepted delivery of a 2023 Model Y. This is the second day of ownership. Just parked it in the garage after having it outside at the office all day. Current temps are around 30 degrees. When I got home I plugged in and my app said "Battery heating for optimal performance". I didn't think anything of it until I left for a few minutes and could hear this sound coming from my garage. Decibel level is pretty high and I am pretty concerned. The sound went away when the "Battery heating for optimal performance" disappeared from my app screen.

A couple of my Tesla friends in town haven't experienced this at all. I currently have a service appointment scheduled but unfortunately I live 4 hours away from the nearest service center. I haven't heard anything from Tesla yet. Anyone have any ideas.

Link to video:

Hey Everyone,
Just accepted delivery of a 2023 Model Y. This is the second day of ownership. Just parked it in the garage after having it outside at the office all day. Current temps are around 30 degrees. When I got home I plugged in and my app said "Battery heating for optimal performance". I didn't think anything of it until I left for a few minutes and could hear this sound coming from my garage. Decibel level is pretty high and I am pretty concerned. The sound went away when the "Battery heating for optimal performance" disappeared from my app screen.

A couple of my Tesla friends in town haven't experienced this at all. I currently have a service appointment scheduled but unfortunately I live 4 hours away from the nearest service center. I haven't heard anything from Tesla yet. Anyone have any ideas.

Link to video:
Hard to really tell from a video, but I’ve heard something similar when charging in the cold. I assumed it was part of the system that heats the batteries.

Yep, mine started doing that too. It started with the last update 2022.40 -- And yes it was cold out - 10 below zero. At first it sounded like a kind of grinding noise coming from under the left rear door. Once it put a few kilowatts in the car it slowed down and became quiet after about 20 minutes.

Yep, mine started doing that too. It started with the last update 2022.40 -- And yes it was cold out - 10 below zero. At first it sounded like a kind of grinding noise coming from under the left rear door. Once it put a few kilowatts in the car it slowed down and became quiet after about 20 minutes.
Yeah mine went quiet after 20 minutes as well. Also when the app stopped displaying "Battery heating for optimal performance". How new is your vehicle?

Doesn't make any noise now. I did just take the 2022.44.30 update this afternoon. I'll check on it in another 15 min.
And ironically, it is now also doing a 2023.2.10 update

Attachments

• C5DEA5DC-3C0E-44AB-99DB-45154F005551.png
    C5DEA5DC-3C0E-44AB-99DB-45154F005551.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 178
The sound you heard earlier was the Tesla Model Y's drive unit motor stator heating for warming the battery pack. 30F is too cold to charge, the Tesla Model Y will use stator heating to warm, then circulate warm coolant from the front and rear drive units to the battery coolant loop. Battery temperature conditioning may also happen when preconditioning before driving. Stator heating also takes place while Preconditioning for Supercharging when you navigate to a Supercharger location (starting ~30 minutes away from the Supercharger or longer) depending on the battery temperature. You must use the Tesla Navigation system to start a route, navigate to the Supercharger for Preconditioning for Supercharging to initiate.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
Hey Everyone,

Link to video:
I can't pull up the video but I can tell you based on what you say it's most likely normal. The car has a heat pump and when it's heating the battery you will hear the heat pump plus the fan going to move air across the condenser. The fact that the sound correlated with the message in the app tells me that the sound is normal. I can't say for sure though without looking at the video.

The sound you heard earlier was the Tesla Model Y's drive unit motor stator heating for warming the battery pack. 30F is too cold to charge, the Tesla Model Y will use stator heating to warm, then circulate warm coolant from the front and rear drive units to the battery coolant loop. Battery temperature conditioning may also happen when preconditioning before driving. Stator heating also takes place while Preconditioning for Supercharging when you navigate to a Supercharger location (starting ~30 minutes away from the Supercharger or longer) depending on the battery temperature. You must use the Tesla Navigation system to start a route, navigate to the Supercharger for Preconditioning for Supercharging to initiate.
That is very interesting. What strikes me is that some users hear this and some users don't at all during the heating process. Some saying it went away over time, some saying an update fixed it? I also read this thread and this user ended up having a coolant leak. Similar sound in rear of the car:

With it being so loud...my thoughts are if there is a coolant leak that sound is probably air cavitation as it's being pulled through the pump?

Hey Everyone,

Link to video:

Sounds like the fluid pump for the rear drive unit is unhappy with life. I’d schedule a service appointment to address it.

Tesla did reach back out to me and they said that the car hasn't thrown any error's but they do think that noise is abnormally loud. I have a couple friends with M3's and they can't replicate this sound. Maybe just a Model Y thing?