Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful buzzing/grinding noise coming from back of 2023 Model Y while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the reply I got from Service Center. So they are aware of the noise.

Attachments

• 0B958CBD-5DCF-424B-AE4B-1CB8EC700FD5.png
    0B958CBD-5DCF-424B-AE4B-1CB8EC700FD5.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 034EECD8-E483-491F-8BA5-37D3AC34C6B6.png
    034EECD8-E483-491F-8BA5-37D3AC34C6B6.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 122
This is the response I just got from them:
Well, they basically canceled my appointment and told me to keep an eye out for loud bangs or knocks. Figured that the engineers could figure out a 'work-around' with a software update. They are studying the videos that I sent to them. Certainly Montana drivers can't be the only ones exhibiting this noise. And on a side note: I was also getting the noise in the front too.

Update:
This morning I had my car on scheduled charge for 8:15 AM. The outside temperature was about 0°F. I noticed when the car started to charge it started out had a very low amperage about 8 A to start with, then took about a half an hour to ramp up to a full 48 A. During This time the car was a quite a bit quieter. And became totally silent about a half an hour after starting the charge. And on a side note, I did take the 2023.2.11 update last night. So maybe they are working on a software update after all.

Hey Everyone,
Just accepted delivery of a 2023 Model Y. This is the second day of ownership. Just parked it in the garage after having it outside at the office all day. Current temps are around 30 degrees. When I got home I plugged in and my app said "Battery heating for optimal performance". I didn't think anything of it until I left for a few minutes and could hear this sound coming from my garage. Decibel level is pretty high and I am pretty concerned. The sound went away when the "Battery heating for optimal performance" disappeared from my app screen.

A couple of my Tesla friends in town haven't experienced this at all. I currently have a service appointment scheduled but unfortunately I live 4 hours away from the nearest service center. I haven't heard anything from Tesla yet. Anyone have any ideas.

Link to video:
I experienced the same issue during charging. I took the delivery yesterday from Buena Park,CA service center 2023 Model Y LR, Austin built. The car was being charged and also was updating firmware from 2022.44.200 to 2023.2.12. I have opened a service ticket with Tesla and also have sent them video. Will update as soon as I hear anything back. Here’s link to my Model Y making similar noise:

I experienced the same issue during charging. I took the delivery yesterday from Buena Park,CA service center 2023 Model Y LR, Austin built. The car was being charged and also was updating firmware from 2022.44.200 to 2023.2.12. I have opened a service ticket with Tesla and also have sent them video. Will update as soon as I hear anything back. Here’s link to my Model Y making similar noise:

WOW I thought mine was loud! You got me beat! See my post above. Service was aware of it, and said they were working on a solution.

Well, I did an experiment today. I took the car out ran it real hard - got it down to 8% charge - then came home and plugged it in. The outside temperature was about 20°. The amperage jumped right up to 48 A and the car remained quiet. It did take the 2023.6.1 update last night. Not sure if that made any difference or not.

Took delivery on 2/24. Got first update on 3/1.
Wow, I got my vehicle on 2/09 and still on 2022.44.100. Never got any alert for update. I am waiting for an FSD update hopefully 2022.45.11 however it seems that the roll out of the software is awfully slower for certain vehicle with certain feature. I guess you didn't buy the 15K FSD feature like me (I am regreting for doing that upfront..may be good idea was once it available to all cars only then pay them through credit card instead, would get some cashback bonus points).

Wow, I got my vehicle on 2/09 and still on 2022.44.100. Never got any alert for update. I am waiting for an FSD update hopefully 2022.45.11 however it seems that the roll out of the software is awfully slower for certain vehicle with certain feature. I guess you didn't buy the 15K FSD feature like me (I am regreting for doing that upfront..may be good idea was once it available to all cars only then pay them through credit card instead, would get some cashback bonus points).
Nope, didn’t buy FSD. We updated to 2023.6.8 earlier this week, and last night updated to 2023.6.9 with the new Tesla Vision Park Assist.

Cool , smart move (not buying FSD). How is the parking experience? do you have EAP ?
No EAP. My thoughts on park assist: