Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful delivery today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to pick up my MYLR7 in MSM today.

I was so excited. I have been a tesla fanboy for 15 years since the original roadster. I saved hard for this day and had everything ready.

For a $93k cad car, I couldn’t have been more disappointed.

There were an absolute ton of issues. Cosmetic defects all over the place - black tar on door panels and pillars, scratches in the door sills, a badly scratched rear air vent, scuffed rear taillight, misaligned rear taillight and a speaker grill with the plastic next to it glued onto it.

These were all minor and they promised to fix them which I was ok with so long as the car worked. I accepted delivery after being reassured I could book mobile appointments to fix these. So I accepted, got in the car, paired my phone and bam! Error codes for the hvac.

I go back to the SA and tell him about the issue and they try resetting the car to no avail. They then book me into the service center and ask me to drive 200m down the road to it so I do that.

After 2 hours of waiting for them to fix it, I tell them I need to go. My delivery appointment was at 1030 am and I showed up at 10 am. It’s now 2 pm and I need to drive 300 km to get home and have an important appointment at 5 pm.

They give me a loaner model s with free supercharging and tell me they’ll call me when everything I’ve found wrong with the car is fixed. So I drive home.

At 6 pm, they call and tell me they’ve fixed the hvac (apparently not enough Freon from the factory) and all the cosmetic issues I found. They ran the system for a few hours and found no leaks and are satisfied it is working. But I feel so soured on the experience, I’m almost keen to reject the car and get them to find me a new one and I’ll keep the loaner til they do.

Oh and mine is an F517 but no new trim or matrix headlights.

What would you guys do?
CF183462-583E-4C4D-B178-A50CEBC4BE3E.jpeg
62309E86-3C80-406A-B62C-FAE179AFE04E.jpeg
4EF21531-EFDA-4D49-8270-3F57AEEFD267.jpeg
635AEC6C-1552-472F-9313-2E435FDEED46.jpeg
06BFB799-FC66-407B-AC3B-263BC0D619E9.jpeg

That sounds awful. That must have been pretty disappointing.

Tesla’s quality appears to be suffering quite a bit lately. For a while in 2021 I thought it was improving.

The cosmetic stuff is par for the course with Tesla unfortunately. Mine (June 2022 delivery) had a misaligned door handle and a much larger scratch on the passenger door interior panel. All issues fixed by mobile service.

The HVAC issue in addition might have been enough for me to reject it. Because of the delivery experience I don’t know that your ever going to be happy with this one. I would reject it and wait for the next one.

Just curious what your fourth digit is. Mine is F5172. Also hoping to get the new updates. Delivery is tomorrow

Once you've accepted delivery the car is yours. There is no returning it. (At least in the US.)

I rejected a car for less than that.

You will never be happy with this vehicle so reject it and wait for the next one.

That sounds awful. That must have been pretty disappointing.

Tesla’s quality appears to be suffering quite a bit lately. For a while in 2021 I thought it was improving.

The cosmetic stuff is par for the course with Tesla unfortunately. Mine (June 2022 delivery) had a misaligned door handle and a much larger scratch on the passenger door interior panel. All issues fixed by mobile service.

The HVAC issue in addition might have been enough for me to reject it. Because of the delivery experience I don’t know that your ever going to be happy with this one. I would reject it and wait for the next one.
If I reject this car, do you guys know how the queue works? Do I get priority in getting a new car?

Reject it... not worth it.. What kind of QA they do? also, Don't they check the car once it arrives at the delivery center.. they think we are at their mercy..
I am really worried if something goes wrong, fixing it with the service center is going to be a nightmare.

Well just got a call from an SA. Told them I want to reject delivery and they said it may not be possible and that the SA that told me I could may have been mistaken.

She’s gonna call HQ to see if it’s possible to reverse it.

I’ll update as the saga continues.

I’d talk it over with the Tesla people, see what happens with your place in queue if you reject. What will you drive while you wait? I think it’s very likely the car will be fine now but I would insist they deliver it to me if I accept it.

If they accept my rejection, that will be the next question.

I have a loaner of theirs right now. Not sure how this is gonna work but I’ll insist on keeping it til they get me a new car.

It’s not good that you had these issues, but not exactly sure why you’d reject the car. They’re all cosmetic and easily correctable by just replacing the single parts. The only real issue may have been the AC, but even that ended up being a minor fix by adding freon.
You didn’t have any hard to fix issues. Let them fix it and enjoy the car. If they do let you reject it, there’s no guarantee how long it will be until you get a new VIN and if it’ll be in better condition.

It’s not good that you had these issues, but not exactly sure why you’d reject the car. They’re all cosmetic and easily correctable by just replacing the single parts. The only real issue may have been the AC, but even that ended up being a minor fix by adding freon.
You didn’t have any hard to fix issues. Let them fix it and enjoy the car. If they do let you reject it, there’s no guarantee how long it will be until you get a new VIN and if it’ll be in better condition.
You’re 100% correct of course

I’m being emotional. I guess a small part of me is hoping I get another car with the matrix lights and it has no issues and I get it within a few weeks. The logical part of me knows the above happening is unlikely.

I’m just disappointed my delivery went so poorly for something I was looking forward to for so long.

Reactions: Iain
You’re 100% correct of course

I’m being emotional. I guess a small part of me is hoping I get another car with the matrix lights and it has no issues and I get it within a few weeks. The logical part of me knows the above happening is unlikely.

I’m just disappointed my delivery went so poorly for something I was looking forward to for so long.
I had a mobile service appt to fix a loose side trim piece on my seat. The tech was telling me about people rejecting cars for issues instead of letting service fix them. One guy had a panel gap issue he rejected the car over and wasn’t expected to get another VIN for months. Mobile service could have fixed it in 10 mins.
Just be careful because if you reject this over a few cosmetic pieces, you may be waiting months for a new VIN. Or get someone else’s rejected VIN and have non option but to accept it.