Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful delivery today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re 100% correct of course

I’m being emotional. I guess a small part of me is hoping I get another car with the matrix lights and it has no issues and I get it within a few weeks. The logical part of me knows the above happening is unlikely.

I’m just disappointed my delivery went so poorly for something I was looking forward to for so long.
It’s highly unlikely you will get a replacement LR with matrix lights. So you will wait much longer while They could just replace your cosmetic issues While your driving a free premium Tesla to boot. Stuff happens. Not great but simple to fix.

I doubt they will let you keep a loaner for a car you end up rejecting. You need to own a tesla to have/keep a loaner.
I thought about this and you’re right. I couldn’t think of a way they would let me keep the loaner whilst rejecting the other vehicle. The way the app works, it just wouldn’t work so I’m sure they’ll make me return it.

I had a mobile service appt to fix a loose side trim piece on my seat. The tech was telling me about people rejecting cars for issues instead of letting service fix them. One guy had a panel gap issue he rejected the car over and wasn’t expected to get another VIN for months. Mobile service could have fixed it in 10 mins.
Just be careful because if you reject this over a few cosmetic pieces, you may be waiting months for a new VIN. Or get someone else’s rejected VIN and have non option but to accept it.

It’s highly unlikely you will get a replacement LR with matrix lights. So you will wait much longer while They could just replace your cosmetic issues While your driving a free premium Tesla to boot. Stuff happens. Not great but simple to fix.
Yup you guys are being the voices of reason.

I’m leaning back to just accepting it and moving on. I just want to enjoy my new car finally so I’ll try to forget about this whole thing. Having said that, even though the PDI needs some extensive work at tesla, the service and sales advisors have been excellent and super accommodating in trying to rectify everything. I really appreciated the service I’ve gotten so far.

I would rejected the car. When I bought my 3, I took possession without even doing a 10 second walk through. I lucked out and the quality was good. When I got my MYLR5, I did a walk through and found several issues and said to myself, no big deal, I'll just get it fixed with a service call. Everything was reported within 24 hours of my pick up. That was probably a very big mistake on my part. 2 service center episodes, totaling 6 days with my car left at the service center, only 1 issue was resolved. The issues that the service center didn't fix for some unknown reason were : Panel gaps on the rear body to rear windshield, Frunk to front fender gap/misalignment, Steering wheel misalignment, high pitch whining on acceleration and high speed cruising, Driver side window dropping when pulling trigger up to close. All should have been easy fixes but none completed. They have me scheduled for a 3rd appointment which I am undecided on bringing it in again. The only fix they completed was a defective front windshield. Losing the car during the 2 service center appointments was extremely frustrating because they don't give you regular updates. Days continue to pass while I chase after them text after text requesting updates. I should have rejected the car, and that's why my advice to you is to rejected. The pain and suffering you MAY feel if you don't reject is off the charts 🤬

I would rejected the car. When I bought my 3, I took possession without even doing a 10 second walk through. I lucked out and the quality was good. When I got my MYLR5, I did a walk through and found several issues and said to myself, no big deal, I'll just get it fixed with a service call. Everything was reported within 24 hours of my pick up. That was probably a very big mistake on my part. 2 service center episodes, totaling 6 days with my car left at the service center, only 1 issue was resolved. The issues that the service center didn't fix for some unknown reason were : Panel gaps on the rear body to rear windshield, Frunk to front fender gap/misalignment, Steering wheel misalignment, high pitch whining on acceleration and high speed cruising, Driver side window dropping when pulling trigger up to close. All should have been easy fixes but none completed. They have me scheduled for a 3rd appointment which I am undecided on bringing it in again. The only fix they completed was a defective front windshield. Losing the car during the 2 service center appointments was extremely frustrating because they don't give you regular updates. Days continue to pass while I chase after them text after text requesting updates. I should have rejected the car, and that's why my advice to you is to rejected. The pain and suffering you MAY feel if you don't reject is off the charts 🤬
Too late for me unfortunately. Even though I didn’t get to drive the car even one meter, since I accepted it, they have told me there is no way to reverse it.

Well, fingers crossed. I am going to pick it up today. Let’s hope she’s in good nick. I repeatedly asked them over the phone to double check the car and please fix any issues before I arrive and they informed me they would.

There's not much else to add other than even if you successfully rejected and got in line for another car, there are no guarantees the next example will be any better. I'm betting once everything is sorted you'll be happy with the vehicle.

File that away in your mental coping algorithm. :)

Problem with accepting this in the broader picture is that it helps set a precedent that this type of thing is ok and that customers should be spending their valuable time and mental energy dealing with the manufacturer's issues on a $90k car, and things that 100% shouldn't have made it to the customer. The hassle and ruined impression would be the biggest problems for me.

But the Model Y LR was also at least $22k (CAD) cheaper just a year ago, probably more like $25k cheaper for a 7 seater. I don't know if this being a $60-70k car would make it any easier to swallow, but it's surely not helped by the added cost setting a higher expectation.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Too late for me unfortunately. Even though I didn’t get to drive the car even one meter, since I accepted it, they have told me there is no way to reverse it.

Well that isn't what you said; you said that you drove the car 200m:

They then book me into the service center and ask me to drive 200m down the road to it so I do that.

Alright guys. So I went and picked up the car today. Service was lovely, they went over the car with me and made sure I was happy. Everything I had an issue with is fixed (well most of it, a few minor issues that I’ll fix on my own) and the hvac works great.

And oh man. Driving home from Toronto was so nice! 250km in traffic would usually be a nightmare but autopilot is amazing. The car is beautiful and, despite the delivery issues, I’m happy I bought it.

Let’s hope there’s many happy kilometers ahead of me in this gorgeous vehicle.

Now for accessories, detailing, Ppf and ceramic coating.

Alright guys. So I went and picked up the car today. Service was lovely, they went over the car with me and made sure I was happy. Everything I had an issue with is fixed (well most of it, a few minor issues that I’ll fix on my own) and the hvac works great.

And oh man. Driving home from Toronto was so nice! 250km in traffic would usually be a nightmare but autopilot is amazing. The car is beautiful and, despite the delivery issues, I’m happy I bought it.

I’d reject it.

Glad it worked out! I agree with some of the others here that accepting this type of thing sends the message that Tesla doesn’t need to bother with improving the quality of its vehicles and that the delivery centers don’t need to bother trying to correct the issues prior to delivery.

The bottom line is that the service folks are usually pretty good and most issues are easily resolved.

I still say that when you drop this kind of money on a car it should be pretty close to perfect when you pick it up. These types of quality and delivery experience should not be acceptable. In the end though even new cars aren’t perfect.

If your unhappy with it do not accept delivery folks. I will also say though that because we wait so long and because of what Tesla is perhaps all of us need to lower our expectations just a little on delivery day myself included.

Reactions: anapon
Glad OP and the SC got it figure out. Now go enjoy ur new car. Tesla made a great product. If you're unhappy with it, u can easily flip it for profit but im sure you will enjoy it!

When I purchased my first LR Y in 2020, my car had some minor issues. SC fixed it after 2 trips. Yes, it was inconvenience but god damn it, driving that car was so fun! I end up selling it to upgrade to the P. I got lucky and the car was almost flawless. I put in about 10k on it since march 2022, every miles was better than my 30k miles on my LR.

Just sharing my experience. Back in 2020, I felt the same. Tesla better get their *sugar* straight on QC. Guess what, after 2 years... I can't say it got any better but ppl are still lining up for their cars and buying them. There is a reason why. Just read all the good stories. Ppl loved their cars. Im sure there are bad experience too, but usually it on delivery day. If u can ignored it and give the SC a chance to correct it, you will enjoy the car as many do.

but yea, all this competition is here is BS to me. Until they get their *sugar* together and built a great product, Tesla has nothing to worry about. haha.

Tesla really has to up their game on quality. They should be hiring some solid quality control inspectors instead of just pushing problems out the door.
totally agreed.

I said it before in another thread. I help 3 of my buddies inspect their cars on delivery day. All these little stuff can be fix easily within 5 min. Just hire a "final" walkthru person that very good at detailing, this will solved a lot of Tesla delivery issues.

Congrats! Enjoy!

I had a terrible delivery experience last summer. The bad memories faded quickly and were overtaken by the joys of driving a Tesla. I'm glad you got your new car without too much inconvenience. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Please give us updates on your experiences and feelings in the coming days or weeks.

I read through the post just now. Went from bad to worse on the first page, then it got more positive. I can imagine the delivery was very disappointing, though it seems now you're happy with your car.

Enjoy it and I hope you have a lot of safe miles in it. Thanks for sharing your story. My delivery is scheduled for end of next month, I will take your story with me when I pick up the car.

Reactions: BitJam

Hi there @Hodorholddoor, glad this worked out for you. Just curious where your MY was built? Fremont or Austin?