Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful noise when turning the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted yesterday this video of my S85 on Tesla Owners Worlwide Facebook page and I already got some answers from fellow owners and also, at last, by a senior advisor from nearest Service Center, but I want to share it with you and maybe obtain further advice or feedback.

Someone knows more what's this awful noise?

I live far away from nearest SC (1.000 km round trip), but Tesla have told me that this is a known fail in the early models (my VIN is below 40k), it entails 0 risk and can be sorted out in 5 min during the annual check up. But noise is becoming louder and happening more often with every km. I dont need any pedestrian alarm even if it was mandatory right now...https://vimeo.com/150769851

I have this very same noise (although not as strongly) on my S85 vin above 59k.
Tesla had the opportunity to listen to it while they were checking the seatbelts and confirmed it is a steering rack mounting issue and there is zero risk of actual malfunction.
However, although they didn't tell whether it is difficult to fix, I grasped that it is not a 5 min job, because they said they'd fix it only if I really considered it was a problem, considering there is zero risk. But I may be wrong, especially because according to others, it is only a matter or retorquing a couple of bolts.
I find this noise very disturbing and it really sounds like something was going to break imminently.