Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWG rating of the cable connected to Tesla Mobile connector handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know the AWG rating of the cable connected to Tesla Mobile connector handle? I'm trying to determine if I can transfer the cable and handle to a 48Amp openEVSE unit and charge at 48 Amp. Usually the info is printed on the side of the cable but it is not printed on my Tesla mobile connector's cable. I know the obvious route is to take the parts from a Gen 3 Tesla Wall connector but buying a broken one or parts is more difficult.

Thanks for any tips.

Reactions: RTPEV
I don't think the wires in the Mobile Connector vehicle cable are sufficient for 48A. The Gen1 Mobile Connector used parallel lighter gauge wires to make it more flexible and handle 40A. The Gen2 cable is thinner and delivers a maximum of 32A with the available plug adapters.
If you really want to charge at 48A get a vehicle cable from a Wall Connector, any generation. You're more likely to find a broken Gen1 or Gen2 Wall Connector and those have the heavier 80A capable cables.

Damn! Talk about a "why didn't I think of that moments"! (well, when I built my OpenEVSE based J1772 Hydra I had a LEAF and a Volt, so there's that) but yeah, excellent idea to get a used wall connector cord and connector. I wound up getting a permanent "spare" J1772 adapter that just lives on the end of my current J1772 connector, but it would be nice to simply have a vanilla TPC connector on it. Great idea!