Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preface: today was the second time this happened. Low 30s overnight, car in an unheated garage, mid-50s during the day.

I preheated the car with max heat/max defrost for about 10 minutes, then switched to my normal 68F and drove off. After some 10 minutes of driving, an alert comes up: blind spot detection limited. Last time this happened, one of the b-pillar forward-looking cameras has condensation on the inside of the glass that covers it, so I pulled over and got out to take a look. Sure enough, both cameras were fogged up.

When I was in for unrelated service a few weeks ago, I mentioned the first time this happened to the techs. They said this isn’t normal and asked me to make an appointment if it happens again, so I did that and have mobile service coming out in a couple of days (holy cow is mobile service availability better in my parts now - the wait used to be at least couple of weeks!). However, I’m curious if anyone else in a similar climate has this issue regularly. Since it’s both cameras, I don’t think it’s an issue with the seal around them, so I wonder if this is going to be a normal occurrence on days with significant temperature swings.

p.s. it’s a bit hard to see in the photos since the glass is very reflective.

Attachments

• 82EBEB1E-7B0B-4600-9105-06688C8B6046.jpeg
    82EBEB1E-7B0B-4600-9105-06688C8B6046.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • A3670CD3-6A2E-4EED-B8AB-FB2B46428E20.jpeg
    A3670CD3-6A2E-4EED-B8AB-FB2B46428E20.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 705
  • 033AA193-51CA-4E32-B497-1D0BCE946404.jpeg
    033AA193-51CA-4E32-B497-1D0BCE946404.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 699
  • 1060E2B5-62A3-430D-9281-D3D85729D6B4.jpeg
    1060E2B5-62A3-430D-9281-D3D85729D6B4.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 643
Preface: today was the second time this happened. Low 30s overnight, car in an unheated garage, mid-50s during the day.

I preheated the car with max heat/max defrost for about 10 minutes, then switched to my normal 68F and drove off. After some 10 minutes of driving, an alert comes up: blind spot detection limited. Last time this happened, one of the b-pillar forward-looking cameras has condensation on the inside of the glass that covers it, so I pulled over and got out to take a look. Sure enough, both cameras were fogged up.

When I was in for unrelated service a few weeks ago, I mentioned the first time this happened to the techs. They said this isn’t normal and asked me to make an appointment if it happens again, so I did that and have mobile service coming out in a couple of days (holy cow is mobile service availability better in my parts now - the wait used to be at least couple of weeks!). However, I’m curious if anyone else in a similar climate has this issue regularly. Since it’s both cameras, I don’t think it’s an issue with the seal around them, so I wonder if this is going to be a normal occurrence on days with significant temperature swings.

p.s. it’s a bit hard to see in the photos since the glass is very reflective.
Happened to me today, too, got the warning. But, only on the right side, as the left side was facing the sunshine as I drove. Eventually, it went away. I didn't get the time to actually look at the cam and condensation, but I just assumed that was the case.

It did do a funny thing though.
IMG_4079.jpeg

No the two cars ahead did not hit each other. I figured that was another by-product of the condensation.

• Informative
Reactions: ilyak
Same thing happened to me yesterday. It's not sealed so it'll dry out once the heat is on for a bit. I left the climate on for 30min in the garage and it was gone.

That being said, I imagine a few years of condensation coming and going will make the inside of the glass not exactly clear. Not sure how hard it is to get to.

• Informative
Same thing happened to me yesterday. It's not sealed so it'll dry out once the heat is on for a bit. I left the climate on for 30min in the garage and it was gone.

That being said, I imagine a few years of condensation coming and going will make the inside of the glass not exactly clear. Not sure how hard it is to get to.

Same thing can happen (as it has to me a few times) with the front facing camera in the windshield. Running the front defrost/AC clears it. I doubt any of these cameras are sealed against this.

Interesting. When I talked to service, they told me the B-pillar cameras should never get condensation on the inside because they are sealed with moisture-proof materials. I’ll have to see what, if anything, the mobile service does about this.

• Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack
Interesting. When I talked to service, they told me the B-pillar cameras should never get condensation on the inside because they are sealed with moisture-proof materials. I’ll have to see what, if anything, the mobile service does about this.

I’ve heard the complete opposite. I don’t have any concrete evidence either way, but I can’t imagine they’re sealed on the B pillars, and this isn’t the first I’ve read about them steaming up.

Reactions: shanegrush
Just a quick update: mobile service confirmed that, as long as it triggers alerts for blind spot monitoring and lane keeping features, condensation on the interior surface of the camera cover glass is not normal. They replaced both b-pillar cameras and covers under warranty today. They also mentioned that Tesla engineers are looking for a long-term solution as the issue has started to come up on a lot of cars.

Just a quick update: mobile service confirmed that, as long as it triggers alerts for blind spot monitoring and lane keeping features, condensation on the interior surface of the camera cover glass is not normal. They replaced both b-pillar cameras and covers under warranty today. They also mentioned that Tesla engineers are looking for a long-term solution as the issue has started to come up on a lot of cars.

I’ll be interested to see if it happens again. Thanks for the update.

If Level 5 and Robotaxi are ever going to become real, this’ll have to be fixed. The car would effectively be immobilized if it’s partly blind and has no driver.

Reactions: Cowby and jsmay311
I’ll be interested to see if it happens again. Thanks for the update.
The tech basically said he expects it to happen again, at least over time; replacing the cover is a temporary solution until a better design is in place. According to him, engineering is actively working on a redesign that would provide a better seal between the top portion of the camera enclosure and the glass applique. The parts that were replaced are 1109253-90-F and 109255-90-F. Interestingly, the parts catalog already shows what I think are later revisions for both: 1109253-00-G and 1109255-00-G.

Mine is doing this as well, waiting to hear back when they're coming to fix it. It seems to be only on the passenger side and almost always whenever I've got a stranger in the car that I'm trying to show how awesome my Tesla is lol.

Eventually, I learned that you can swipe the notification to the left so it sort of hides it. That's nice.

Mine is doing this as well, waiting to hear back when they're coming to fix it. It seems to be only on the passenger side and almost always whenever I've got a stranger in the car that I'm trying to show how awesome my Tesla is lol.

Eventually, I learned that you can swipe the notification to the left so it sort of hides it. That's nice.

When it happens are you using A/C and/or recirculate?

When it happens are you using A/C and/or recirculate?
I'll try to pay attention more but I don't think it has any effect. I've seen it happen on days where it's pouring out and everything is covered in condensation and perfectly clear dry days. It definitely got worse as the temperature changed but it's actually a bit better now that it's been more steadily cold. I've only had the car since August though.

I'll try to pay attention more but I don't think it has any effect. I've seen it happen on days where it's pouring out and everything is covered in condensation and perfectly clear dry days. It definitely got worse as the temperature changed but it's actually a bit better now that it's been more steadily cold. I've only had the car since August though.

Next time it happens turn ON A/C and turn OFF recirculate - set fan to full in all directions and see if it clears quickly.

Reactions: ChargedSociety

For me, this happened under the following conditions both times:
- The night before, arrive at dusk with the cabin thoroughly heated through after a long drive
- Park the car outside, temperatures dip into lower 40s overnight
- In the morning, preheat the car using max heat/max defrost for 20 minutes or so
- Drive around for 10-15 minutes with the sun shining directly on the side that is fogging up

Did you wash with karscher your car ?

No power-washing of any kind, no high-pressure automatic car washes either - I hand-wash my car. The timing of the issue is also not consistent with me washing it.

Last edited: