Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know tesla does not use the pillar cameras for autopilot, but collecting data from it.
It will cause a major problem when Tesla decides to use those cameras for auto city driving.

NoA and automatic lane changes are not available when the b-pillar cameras are blocked, so whether they are used or not, it does restrict autopilot to TACC/autosteer only.

I have been getting this problem a lot recently (B pillar cameras fogging up/error messages associated). I am London based and the weather here is cold and damp most of the time at this time of year. The problem often lasts for my whole journey.

I booked an appointment with a tech in January to take a look, but I have just had a text exchange with Tesla where they tell me that this is normal and they have cancelled the appointment "because it is no longer required". Frankly, I am frustrated with that response. As the cameras are fogged most of the time, it effectively renders them "not fit for purpose".

I am not sure that this post is helpful, but I feel the need to share as I am so frustrated.

I have been getting this problem a lot recently (B pillar cameras fogging up/error messages associated). I am London based and the weather here is cold and damp most of the time at this time of year. The problem often lasts for my whole journey.

I booked an appointment with a tech in January to take a look, but I have just had a text exchange with Tesla where they tell me that this is normal and they have cancelled the appointment "because it is no longer required". Frankly, I am frustrated with that response. As the cameras are fogged most of the time, it effectively renders them "not fit for purpose".

I am not sure that this post is helpful, but I feel the need to share as I am so frustrated.

I agree it’s majorly frustrating. Tesla doesn’t have a solution, is the issue. Just be sure to use AC/recirc off to keep humidity out of the car as best as possible.

Here's another new bit of information from Reddit, emphasis mine. I asked the posted for the replacement part number, haven't heard back yet. Not sure what to make of this.

VaultBoyz 2 points·22 hours ago
I took mine in for replacement the Friday before Thanksgiving. I was out of town for the weekend and on the following Tuesday, my first drive to work with the replaced cameras, fogged right up.
I took it back. They told me the new cameras have a gortex patch that can be opened/closed depending upon your location - I’ve got no clue what they were on about. They told me that they opened my patches during the second visit and did not replace the cameras a second time. Again, no idea what that means.
I haven’t had another fogging event yet.

Here's another new bit of information from Reddit, emphasis mine. I asked the posted for the replacement part number, haven't heard back yet. Not sure what to make of this.

I just had a tech over on Monday. He told me this as well, and said that he put a new backing on the camera with this patch. He said it's essentially the same thing as the redesigned part. It basically makes the camera less weather sealed to allow the interior HVAC system to remove the condensation in the camera housing. I'm not explaining it with the correct terms, but that was the gist of it. He said that it's normal to have some condensation form with this patch, but it should clear within minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: ilyak
I just had a tech over on Monday. He told me this as well, and said that he put a new backing on the camera with this patch. He said it's essentially the same thing as the redesigned part. It basically makes the camera less weather sealed to allow the interior HVAC system to remove the condensation in the camera housing. I'm not explaining it with the correct terms, but that was the gist of it. He said that it's normal to have some condensation form with this patch, but it should clear within minutes.
This makes things interesting. I'll get my trim removal kit out and see if what I got installed in November has anything reminiscent of a fabric patch. Thanks!

Reactions: ConcordeSST
This makes things interesting. I'll get my trim removal kit out and see if what I got installed in November has anything reminiscent of a fabric patch. Thanks!

I believe it is a very recent change. He told me that this was the direction they received from Tesla engineering from the time I scheduled my appointment (Dec 2nd) to when they came out to repair it (Dec 23rd). My appointment had been for Dec 13th, and they made me reschedule because the "parts weren't in yet." I assume it was because they had to change the repair process for this issue.

I believe it is a very recent change. He told me that this was the direction they received from Tesla engineering from the time I scheduled my appointment (Dec 2nd) to when they came out to repair it (Dec 23rd). My appointment had been for Dec 13th, and they made me reschedule because the "parts weren't in yet." I assume it was because they had to change the repair process for this issue.

I'll take anything they say with a hefty grain of salt. I mean, my b-pillars fog up, my front camera housing fogs up, my tail lights fog up, my fog lights... fog up (irony not lost on me).

So Tesla can say whatever it wants, but they seem to have some issues in this space.

Ok, so I connected with a Tesla Tech and pressed for as much information as I could on this.

Firstly Tesla may consider replacing the cameras if there are water droplets inside but condensation only they will not replace under warranty. Similar to the taillights.

Secondly, the B pillar cameras are NOT heated.

Thirdly, like many Tesla items; the B pillars are vented from the factory. On this vent, they have a Gortex patch that allows some airflow but also restricts moisture passing through to some degree. The problem is when moisture inevitably gets inside, it also restricts it from getting out. There was a TSB issued by Tesla to remove this patch to allow better airflow but it's a bit of a catch-22. Removing the patch will improve airflow enabling the cameras to defog but it also allows moisture to reach the surface of the lens easier meaning they are more likely to fog in the first place. At this time there is no updated patching kit or re-patching kit. Once the patch is removed, you can't repatch them later.

Fourthly, Tesla can remotely scan the entire history of the vehicle to check for reoccurring problems. Remember this before you tell them your car fogs up on every drive because they know if you're BSing or not.

Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful. Weirdly, I am currently scheduled for another b-pillar applique replacement on 1/7. When I talked to the service center, I asked about the fabric patch, and they told me that the current version of the part installed on my car in November did not have it but the one they will be installing on 1/7 will. I do not have the replacement part number yet. I looked through the leaked theory of operation document, but, unfortunately, the version I have does not include any details on repeater and b-pillar cameras.

Fourthly, Tesla can remotely scan the entire history of the vehicle to check for reoccurring problems. Remember this before you tell them your car fogs up on every drive because they know if you're BSing or not.

This bit is curious too. Last time I discussed the issue with a service advisor on the phone, they said they could not access error messages from previous drives but they were "putting the car on visibility". When I asked for an explanation, they said this meant any fault events will now be recorded and accessible to them remotely. I was suspicious of this as it was my understanding faults were already logged anyway.

So, again, some conflicting information from different sources. Le sigh.

Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful. Weirdly, I am currently scheduled for another b-pillar applique replacement on 1/7. When I talked to the service center, I asked about the fabric patch, and they told me that the current version of the part installed on my car in November did not have it but the one they will be installing on 1/7 will. I do not have the replacement part number yet. I looked through the leaked theory of operation document, but, unfortunately, the version I have does not include any details on repeater and b-pillar cameras.

This bit is curious too. Last time I discussed the issue with a service advisor on the phone, they said they could not access error messages from previous drives but they were "putting the car on visibility". When I asked for an explanation, they said this meant any fault events will now be recorded and accessible to them remotely. I was suspicious of this as it was my understanding faults were already logged anyway.

So, again, some conflicting information from different sources. Le sigh.

Not to question your source but I'd tend to believe the Tech over what a service center rep said. I can't speak for Tesla specifically but in general, Advisors receive little technical training. It's a 50/50 shot whether the advisor you were talking to was basing his comments on actual training and facts or completely talking out of his ass as some service advisors, unfortunately, tend to do. Not to say you should take my comments as the holy grail, however.

Not to question your source but I'd tend to believe the Tech over what a service center rep said. I can't speak for Tesla specifically but in general, Advisors receive little technical training. It's a 50/50 shot whether the advisor you were talking to was basing his comments on actual training and facts or completely talking out of his ass as some service advisors, unfortunately, tend to do. Not to say you should take my comments as the holy grail, however.

Haha well I myself do question my source, I've experienced both techs and SAs pull things out of their behinds when they were faced with lack of knowledge/information and needed to close out a service ticket, an issue not unique to Tesla. I guess I'll see what they say/do on the 7th?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChargedSociety
Astronomy.

Amateur astronomers struggle with moisture and condensation issues in cooler weather. Where there is a difference in temperature and higher humidity, objects that are cooler will result in condensation as in a lens or a mirror. I put my scope outside hours before I want to use it so that it is at ambient temperature and I can avoid condensation. Some people heat their scopes if there is serious humidity.

The 2 key players here are elevated humidity and a cooling of temperature.

I have had my B pillar glass cover fog up. Got the alerts. Camera was fine as far as I know. What fogged for me was the inside of the glass pillar cover.

The evidence is that the fog appears in the center of the pillar glass cover. This is the coldest part when moving down the road as the pillar experiences cooling temperatures.

Warm air holds more moisture and if warm air is cooled then the moisture tends to condense on colder objects. If the moisture/humidity in your Tesla is high then there will be the possibility of condensation when encountering much colder air.

I try to keep my Tesla in a dryish condition. No wet gym towels or wet stuff left in the car. If the garage floor is wet from melting snow them I might either sweep out the water and let the floor dry a little or I leave a garage window open.

Heating the air in the car allows air to hold more moisture so if a floor mat is wet and the car is closed up and the cabin temperature warmed then the air will hold more moisture (coming from the wet floor mat). Encountering cold air will result in condensation on the inside of the windows. This is clue IMO that fogging of the B pillar glass is possibly going to happen.

Cameras tend to generate heat when in operation so I might speculate that the camera itself is unlikely to be the problem ... just a guess. More likely is that the issue is simple condensation related to rapid temperature changes.

Another possibility is to crack a window ever so slightly to allow the humidity inside and outside the car to equalize. I have not tried this so use good sense if trying this. Others will probably have suggestions to try as well. YMMV.

I've decided, at this point, to leave well enough alone. Sure, I've had cases where there was condensation on the inside glass, but I think I pass on the whole remove the permeable gasket, then return later to have it put back in, etc. YMMV.

Hello All,

2019 LR RWD about 65K Kms. Purchased June 2018

This just starting happening to me on the Driver side (saw the foggy lense) and now the front camera.

I called Service and they are coming out on the 15th. Lets see what they say.

Interesting to me is that I have had this car now for 18 months and have been through an Southern Ontario, Canada winter already without this issue.

Will report back.

Vin

Reactions: jebinc
My situation is well defined :
Driving on a cool clear day ~50f
B piller is in full sun
An oval of fog only in front of the lens
Why is only the oval in front of the lens fogging and not the whole enclosure?
IMG_20200109_125452.jpg

How difficult is it to remove the trim to access the camera? The seatbelt retractor and airbag could be a problem.