Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is only the oval in front of the lens fogging and not the whole enclosure?

I think the condensation is on the coolest part of the exposed oval glass which is the oval in the center. I think the camera is not relevant. The east coast had a relatively humid weekend and now there is a temperature drop and the humidity has to adjust.

I think if the inside of the car dries out a bit the condensation will go away. There is moisture somewhere that needs to dry out a bit as the temperature drops IMO.

Why is only the oval in front of the lens fogging and not the whole enclosure?

I think the condensation is on the coolest part of the exposed oval glass which is the oval in the center. I think the camera is not relevant. The east coast had a relatively humid weekend and now there is a temperature drop and the humidity has to adjust.

I think if the inside of the car dries out a bit the condensation will go away. There is moisture somewhere that needs to dry out a bit as the temperature drops IMO.

Preface: today was the second time this happened. Low 30s overnight, car in an unheated garage, mid-50s during the day.

I preheated the car with max heat/max defrost for about 10 minutes, then switched to my normal 68F and drove off. After some 10 minutes of driving, an alert comes up: blind spot detection limited. Last time this happened, one of the b-pillar forward-looking cameras has condensation on the inside of the glass that covers it, so I pulled over and got out to take a look. Sure enough, both cameras were fogged up.

When I was in for unrelated service a few weeks ago, I mentioned the first time this happened to the techs. They said this isn’t normal and asked me to make an appointment if it happens again, so I did that and have mobile service coming out in a couple of days (holy cow is mobile service availability better in my parts now - the wait used to be at least couple of weeks!). However, I’m curious if anyone else in a similar climate has this issue regularly. Since it’s both cameras, I don’t think it’s an issue with the seal around them, so I wonder if this is going to be a normal occurrence on days with significant temperature swings.

p.s. it’s a bit hard to see in the photos since the glass is very reflective.

My rights side b pillar was fogging and Tesla replaced the whole thing no questions asked.

Just a quick update: mobile service confirmed that, as long as it triggers alerts for blind spot monitoring and lane keeping features, condensation on the interior surface of the camera cover glass is not normal. They replaced both b-pillar cameras and covers under warranty today. They also mentioned that Tesla engineers are looking for a long-term solution as the issue has started to come up on a lot of cars.
I was just told, via tweet, that it is normal for condensation to appear. How can the car possibly qualify for level 5 if, rain or below freezing temps disables NoA/AutoSteer? They are either sealed units or they aren't, heated or they aren't..right?
This is on a 2018 Model 3.

I was just told, via tweet, that it is normal for condensation to appear. How can the car possibly qualify for level 5 if, rain or below freezing temps disables NoA/AutoSteer? They are either sealed units or they aren't, heated or they aren't..right?
This is on a 2018 Model 3.

Don’t have much to say about l5, I would be happy if my car is ever at l3. On the main subject, though, Tesla’s stance on fogged up cameras doesn’t seem to be set in stone - some people are getting replacements, others are being told this is normal, others yet report getting a repair where a patch of fabric is removed. So I think it’s worth making an appointment, if only to have the concern formally documented on your records so it’s there if the camera modules stop functioning after the car is out of warranty.

Don’t have much to say about l5, I would be happy if my car is ever at l3. On the main subject, though, Tesla’s stance on fogged up cameras doesn’t seem to be set in stone - some people are getting replacements, others are being told this is normal, others yet report getting a repair where a patch of fabric is removed. So I think it’s worth making an appointment, if only to have the concern formally documented on your records so it’s there if the camera modules stop functioning after the car is out of warranty.
Thanks. First I meant text, not tweet. This is a subsequent text msg I sent after informing whoever is sending these texts that from this forum and tesla's forum people are being told condensation is NOT normal. I mention level 5 as that is what Musk pronounced to an, presumably, institutional investor's question at last year's Autonomous Investors Day, That the Model 3 software would be I5 ready at end of 2019. That's where the level 5 comment came from. That was addressing software, not hardware. However, losing automation after a rain or in freezing weather is not acceptable as conditions where even a human wouldn't drive.

That sounds like good advise re appt. I did make an appointment but where the car is only 14 months old I would be beyond miffed if they charged me to fix the problem. The text came from a 405 area code (Oklahoma City, OK. I had asked for a definitive answer to are they sealed and is it heated where, between TMC and Tesla forums there is stark disagreement on those questions.

I want to take this opportunity to convey what I just received via text message from Tesla.

"I am sorry that this is not consistent with what you found on the forums but I am directly quoting our policy. All B-pillar cameras are subject to some amount of condensation by design. The presence of condensation does not warrant a replacement by default. The B-pillars are not 100% sealed from moisture or airflow nor are they heated".

I am not relaying this to challenge what anyone else has been told by their service center.

I want to take this opportunity to convey what I just received via text message from Tesla.

"I am sorry that this is not consistent with what you found on the forums but I am directly quoting our policy. All B-pillar cameras are subject to some amount of condensation by design. The presence of condensation does not warrant a replacement by default. The B-pillars are not 100% sealed from moisture or airflow nor are they heated".

I am not relaying this to challenge what anyone else has been told by their service center.

The "text vs. twitter' thing does change the context a bit :) Overall, it's a convenient response for Tesla. Indeed, some condensation is probably not a big deal. My personal line is at "it makes safety features unavailable", so I pushed for a replacement and have now received it - twice - to little effect. Of course, it's very much possible that the replacement was authorized by a local SC manager or mobile service scheduler just to appease me, not because it is a solution. It is also possible that Tesla has since concluded that appeasing people like me by replacing the b-pillars has become a significant cost center and created a more clearly communicated policy. Perhaps they even have some arbitrary cut-off such as "condensation forms water droplets larger than X mm". But, in the end, we will never know, and the only way to find out if Tesla thinks it should replace the parts is to ask.

The "text vs. twitter' thing does change the context a bit :) Overall, it's a convenient response for Tesla. Indeed, some condensation is probably not a big deal. My personal line is at "it makes safety features unavailable", so I pushed for a replacement and have now received it - twice - to little effect. Of course, it's very much possible that the replacement was authorized by a local SC manager or mobile service scheduler just to appease me, not because it is a solution. It is also possible that Tesla has since concluded that appeasing people like me by replacing the b-pillars has become a significant cost center and created a more clearly communicated policy. Perhaps they even have some arbitrary cut-off such as "condensation forms water droplets larger than X mm". But, in the end, we will never know, and the only way to find out if Tesla thinks it should replace the parts is to ask.
Thanks! That was my point too. I paid an additional $9k (as I recall) for FSD/EAP, which that particular drive made extensive use of and NoA was unavailable for both legs. "It'll probably go away on it's own" is not a customer friendly answer. I just wanted to document it here. If it happens again I will escalate.

Reactions: Cowby
In humid environments I usually use a 12V "hairdryer" on a (beefy) Li-Ion battery pack -- I have it in my car since as an amateur astronomer I have to fight dew on a regular basis on pieces of glass different from the B-pillars ;-).

Note irony quotes -- these things aren't warm enough to dry your hair and have too little airflow, but they do just fine on M3 B-pillars, Schmidt corrector plates, Newtonian secondary mirrors and eyepieces ;-).

Just got my brand new Model 3 and have had this every day that I've driven the car. It's always saying that one or more of the cameras is fogged up or dazzled by the sun. Seems to almost constantly be moaning about it on the screen.

I was told by the service center that it's normal. Though my service center seem to be reluctant to do anything about most problems. "Wheel hanging off sir? No, that's within tolerance." "Panel gap large enough to get in and out of the vehicle, yes that's normal."

• Funny
Reactions: Siciliano
My model S Raven is booked in to have B-Pillar camera fogging issue. Supposedly the parts are ready for fitting. the parts are:

APPLIQUE MS B PLR RH ASSY(1092307-00-G)
APPLIQUE MS B PLR LH ASSY(1092306-00-G)

Not wanting to waste my time or have work done for the sake of it, does anyone know what is different about these parts (G variant) and if they are likely to help the condensation issue?

I also have the same problem happening continually. Mostly on Pillar B but recently Pillar A as well. The vehicle kept reporting multiple cameras blocked. The Service Center keeps saying there is nothing that can be done. Not helpful when you spend over $100K on the top of the line Model S 2020.

If anyone finds a permanent fix, please post it.
IMG_3527.jpg
IMG_3604.jpg

My model S Raven is booked in to have B-Pillar camera fogging issue. Supposedly the parts are ready for fitting. the parts are:

APPLIQUE MS B PLR RH ASSY(1092307-00-G)
APPLIQUE MS B PLR LH ASSY(1092306-00-G)

Not wanting to waste my time or have work done for the sake of it, does anyone know what is different about these parts (G variant) and if they are likely to help the condensation issue?

That's an intriguing clue. It may be that the very small additional insulation added by an applique is enough to eliminate or reduce the fogging substantially.
Someone else here on the forum had PPF applied and the installer did the B-pillar as well. It reportedly didn't hurt camera function at all.. So maybe just a little PPF on the pillar would fix this.

And yes, like the poster above I live in the great Pacific North Wet where it rained every day in January. I have this problem, too.

I am having the same issue on my 8/18 Model 3. Today, I get the "right door pillar camera blocked or blinded" error message with both Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change disabled. When I parked, sure enough, BOTH B-pillar cameras had condensation inside. For reference, it is 16°F here right now. I had the same error message a few months ago, and Tesla replaced the right B-pillar camera, so clearly that did not help. I feel like creating a service appointment would be useless at this point if they are just going to replace it with the same camera.

Attachments

• 20200213_114626.jpg
    20200213_114626.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 85
I am having the same issue on my 8/18 Model 3. Today, I get the "right door pillar camera blocked or blinded" error message with both Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change disabled. When I parked, sure enough, BOTH B-pillar cameras had condensation inside. For reference, it is 16°F here right now. I had the same error message a few months ago, and Tesla replaced the right B-pillar camera, so clearly that did not help. I feel like creating a service appointment would be useless at this point if they are just going to replace it with the same camera.

Zero point getting that serviced. And the colder it is the more likely it’s going to happen. Sunlight + cold weather = what you’re experiencing.

Clear to me Tesla doesn’t have a way to address this yet.

Reactions: bcpm3p and jsmay311
It was postponed because the revised part was not available. Then I got into an accident, so now it’s postponed indefinitely as I’m waiting for backordered body parts. My tech did confirm that the part number was the -G revision but I don’t have any new info beyond that, that’s why I didn’t post.
Ah. Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck getting back on the road.

Reactions: ilyak