Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B Pillar inside cover popping off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any problems with the inside plastic B pillar cover popping off? In the last weeks I've had it pop off 3 times while getting into the car and brushing across the edge of it. It is easily popped back on. I've had the car just over a year and only had it pop off for the first time last week.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth a service call or if it is just normally easily popped off and I just need to be more careful getting in.

The b pillar cover is two parts, the top fabric part and the bottom black part. You can take the top part off without taking the bottom off so I assume thats what your'e talking about.

I've had to take mine off to figure out some rattles and I can tell you mine takes a good deal of effort to pop off so I would say thats an issue you should talk to the SC about.

I had this issue, took it to the service center. They said the snap points broke off, and claimed it was because I hit it too hard getting in. I explained, this is the first car this has ever happened to and I haven't changed the way I get in a vehicle. They replaced it under warranty though. My guess is they had a bad batch with weak snap points. Again, that is just my wild a^$ guess ;)

The b pillar cover is two parts, the top fabric part and the bottom black part. You can take the top part off without taking the bottom off so I assume thats what your'e talking about.

I've had to take mine off to figure out some rattles and I can tell you mine takes a good deal of effort to pop off so I would say thats an issue you should talk to the SC about.

Is it as easy as yanking on the cover, or do you need to remove the seal first? I really want to tear into mine to find a rattle as well.

I have this same problem. I am not a small guy, and this car is quite a bit more compact than my F150 was. I have learned to hold the B pillar in place so I don't pull the cover off. I have also noticed a worn spot on the steering wheel where my right leg rubs when getting in.

Had the same issue happen to me. Got car 6 months ago. Happened about 1 week ago. Got it and and my backside brushed against it and it popped off exposing the wires. Could not pop it back on. Tesla Ranger coming to my house next week to fix it (I hope). Never had this happen and didn’t know could happen.

Certainly seems to be a design fault from my perspective. Should not pop off that easy by brushing against it when getting in the car.

For clarification, I'm talking about the plastic cover that goes over the entire area where the shoulder seat belt comes out of the pillar. For now I've adjusted the "easy access" seat setting so it is not as far back and I'm less likely to brush against it when entering.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will open a service ticket in case some of the snap points are broken.

Same issue here. July, 2018 build M3 LR RWD. I had mobile ranger scheduled for another minor issue and showed him the separation of the B Pillar cover. He grabbed a different clip from his service vehicle and popped it back in. I got the indication that they may have gotten a batch of weaker push clips. Fixed the issue in about 30 seconds.

Yes, I have. I can't wait for Model Y, as my wife will be taking over the 3. It is just too low to the ground and compact for me.

Compact...oy. Shows how relative these things are. I came from a Subaru WRX, then an STI, then a Golf R. The Model 3 is huuuuuge by comparison. I mean - it’s 18” longer than my Golf! Someday maybe there will be a Model 2 - hatchback, and shorter. Want!