Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B-Pillar Squeak from Seat Belt Mechanism...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have a squeaky B-pillar seatbelt mechanism? I know the cause is from the friction between the seat belt and the guide mechanism. I've brought it to my service center's attention and they acknowledge that the noise exists but they claim there isn't a fix yet.

This noise drives me crazy! I hope Tesla comes up with a solution quick! I love the car otherwise, but the the noise drives me crazy. The smallest movement in my body position results in a squeak from that mechanism.

There is a fix. Almost any way to decrease the friction at the point the belt pulls out will reduce the squeak. Several other threads have discussed it.

I personally used some adhesive backed felt pads from Walmart:
002.JPG

They work great. One is just about the ideal size. Stick it so the felt side faces the roof of the car on the lip of the plastic opening all the way towards the front of the opening. The belt will slide very nicely without a squeak and cover the felt pad so you don't see it.

Even when hanging down unused the belt covers most of the pad. The color is a nice fit so even the bit of the pad you see blends in relatively nicely. In short this is a functional and reasonably aesthetic fix. Others have come up with their own ways to reduce the friction.

Does anyone else have a squeaky B-pillar seatbelt mechanism? I know the cause is from the friction between the seat belt and the guide mechanism. I've brought it to my service center's attention and they acknowledge that the noise exists but they claim there isn't a fix yet.

This noise drives me crazy! I hope Tesla comes up with a solution quick! I love the car otherwise, but the the noise drives me crazy. The smallest movement in my body position results in a squeak from that mechanism.

The Minneapolis service center fixed mine. Basically just as listed by others. Reduce the friction and the squeak goes away.

I used some industrial Velcro from the local Home Depot - cutting a narrow strip of the black cloth side and sticking it on the top of the seat belt opening - so that the seat belt hits that instead of the plastic - and that eliminated the seat belt noise on the driver side - at least until Tesla can provide a better long-term solution.

Because the strip is black - and sitting on top (not hanging outside) of the opening - it's not visible unless you look very, very closely at the opening.

There is now a service bulletin for this, according to Fremont SC. I'm told it is a simple fix...take your car back in and have them take care of it.

There is now a service bulletin for this, according to Fremont SC. I'm told it is a simple fix...take your car back in and have them take care of it.

There is indeed! Thanks for the info! My SC ordered the "special" tape to do the fix.

BTW, I tried felt tape that others have mentioned and it helped for about 2 weeks and the noise came back again. Mine seems to be cause by the inside seat belt guide that articulates, not the outside plastic lip for the seat belt opening.

Can one of you post a picture of the finished product? I'm trying to imagine it from what was described in the post, but can't. Sorry, I'm more of a visual learner.... :confused:

a3y8unyv.jpg

Here is a picture of mine lined with foam tape. I tried felt tape which works for a few days but the squeak comes back.

It's the friction from the plastic making contact with the belt that causes the squeak.

If anyone has the official Tesla fix, please post it. From what I understand it's some sort of tape. I'm having mine done on Friday.