TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

B-Pillar Squeak from Seat Belt Mechanism...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by onesixeight, Sep 24, 2013.

1. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Does anyone else have a squeaky B-pillar seatbelt mechanism? I know the cause is from the friction between the seat belt and the guide mechanism. I've brought it to my service center's attention and they acknowledge that the noise exists but they claim there isn't a fix yet.

This noise drives me crazy! I hope Tesla comes up with a solution quick! I love the car otherwise, but the the noise drives me crazy. The smallest movement in my body position results in a squeak from that mechanism.

2. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Same here, except I would describe it as more of a rattle than a squeak. I haven't mentioned anything to the SC yet, but I plan to if/when I bring it in.

3. ddruz

ddruz Member

There is a fix. Almost any way to decrease the friction at the point the belt pulls out will reduce the squeak. Several other threads have discussed it.

I personally used some adhesive backed felt pads from Walmart:
    002.JPG

They work great. One is just about the ideal size. Stick it so the felt side faces the roof of the car on the lip of the plastic opening all the way towards the front of the opening. The belt will slide very nicely without a squeak and cover the felt pad so you don't see it.

Even when hanging down unused the belt covers most of the pad. The color is a nice fit so even the bit of the pad you see blends in relatively nicely. In short this is a functional and reasonably aesthetic fix. Others have come up with their own ways to reduce the friction.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

The Minneapolis service center fixed mine. Basically just as listed by others. Reduce the friction and the squeak goes away.

5. bob_p

bob_p Member

I used some industrial Velcro from the local Home Depot - cutting a narrow strip of the black cloth side and sticking it on the top of the seat belt opening - so that the seat belt hits that instead of the plastic - and that eliminated the seat belt noise on the driver side - at least until Tesla can provide a better long-term solution.

Because the strip is black - and sitting on top (not hanging outside) of the opening - it's not visible unless you look very, very closely at the opening.

6. blc1017

blc1017 Member

There is now a service bulletin for this, according to Fremont SC. I'm told it is a simple fix...take your car back in and have them take care of it.

7. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

There is indeed! Thanks for the info! My SC ordered the "special" tape to do the fix.

BTW, I tried felt tape that others have mentioned and it helped for about 2 weeks and the noise came back again. Mine seems to be cause by the inside seat belt guide that articulates, not the outside plastic lip for the seat belt opening.

8. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I went back at it with felt tape tonight and I was able to get rid of the noise! The trick is to putting it far enough to the right (looking at the seat belt guide) so that it gives enough coverage even when the belt is at an angle.

I'm super happy and now can enjoy the car without the irritating squeak! :)

9. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Can one of you post a picture of the finished product? I'm trying to imagine it from what was described in the post, but can't. Sorry, I'm more of a visual learner.... :confused:

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

x2 pic please

11. lloyds

lloyds Member

Recommend to create a checklist for all these items before you bring it to the SC so you get it all knocked out at the same time.

12. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

a3y8unyv.jpg

Here is a picture of mine lined with foam tape. I tried felt tape which works for a few days but the squeak comes back.

It's the friction from the plastic making contact with the belt that causes the squeak.

If anyone has the official Tesla fix, please post it. From what I understand it's some sort of tape. I'm having mine done on Friday.

13. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Thanks. I'll admit that was definitely not what I was picturing. nothing against your "fix" but it's not exactly the best looking option. I think I'll get the SC to fix it on the next time I'm in.

14. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I totally agree with the looks part but to get the sound to go away you have to use a material to absorb slight movements from the belt.

Its been getting louder as of late. Something to do with the weather getting colder.

I wish Tesla used better materials in this area of the car but this will have to do until Friday.

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

You could try this route; it's what works for me. It may be a little more cosmetic than the bulky foam.

Velcro strap method.

16. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I took your advice and bought some Velcro from Home Depot and sure enough that does the trick too.

Here is a pic - I'm gonna trim it nicer when I get home and maybe get some beige color velcro
    u9a6ajeh.jpg

17. Getting Amped So

Teflon Tape

belt fix.jpg

18. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

Nice...Is that from Tesla Service or your tape?

My car is having the fix done now and from what I understand its a clear type tape.