TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BAAQMD Tesla Major Facility Permitting Winter 2016

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by techmaven, Dec 15, 2016.

1. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has posted new documents for renewing the Major Facilities Permit for Tesla's Fremont factory. It includes the calculations necessary for allowing Tesla to build 520,000 vehicles:

Tesla Motors Inc

There is a lot of information about the Fremont factory in the Statement of Basis.

• Informative x 8
  2. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

Very educating indeed. Thanks for sharing.

3. dennis

dennis P85D

#3 dennis, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    I wonder if Ed Niedermayer at Daily Kanban and his buddy Montana Skeptic will be publishing an update. They previously claimed that Tesla was only permitted for 250K annual production at the Fremont factory.

EDIT: I see that the OP has already pointed this out in the Short Term thread.

• Funny x 1
  4. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

BTW, the mentions of stator resin and motor assembly equipment should put to rest the idea that Tesla doesn't build motors in Fremont. I'm talking about the whole Fukuta thing.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Careful, @Avenger might hear you and post even more "evidence". Because he is not deterred by real world evidence.

• Like x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Careful, @Avenger might hear you and post even more "evidence". Because he is not deterred by real world evidence.

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Wow, a brand new thread and it's already name-dropped three of our fact-free favorites! :rolleyes:

• Funny x 4
  8. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

#8 techmaven, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    There's a lot of details in those documents... is anyone else picking through them?

I'm wondering what exactly is the truck paint shop? Is that Model X?

Also, the limit to the number of vehicles an hour during the transition between the South and the North Paint Shops was 25 vehicles/hour. Not sure if this is still in effect. But since Tesla runs 2 x 10 hour shifts, that's 20 hours in a work day, or 20 x 25 x 5 = 2,500 vehicles a week limit, or about 115,000 vehicles a year realistically given various shutdowns.

9. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I think I glanced a sentence saying previously before Tesla, NUMMI was making both cars and trucks, thus there was a truck paint shop. It is not relevant for Tesla now.

10. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I don't think so... the paint shop equipment is new, not left over from NUMMI.

11. dc_h

dc_h Member

Correct. Elon wanted most advanced paint shop possible.

12. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I'm not referring to the paint shop equipment, but the original room/workshop with names including "truck". In the document part of the request from Tesla is to restructure 3 paint shops previously in the factory to one. And in the process they want to change the name of "Truck ABC" to "ABC", dropping the "truck". In page 142, the document also says "NUMMI used to manufacture cars and trucks." and "Unlike NUMMI, Tesla only manufactures cars.". "Truck ABC" etc. are also listed as "existing source", in contrast to "proposed source".

13. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Although Tesla has clearly reduced emissions massively, it's a pity to see that they're still using natgas-powered ovens to dry the paint. Emissions from paint and solvents are going to exist for the foreseeable future, but they should be able to replace the heating with electric heating at some point. This will require a complete oven redesign to make it more efficient, since electricity is still significantly more expensive than natgas for California industrial customers.

However, it looks like most of these ovens are reuse of existing equipment which was already in NUMMI; possibly all of them (some of the "new sources" look suspiciously like old machines which are being reactivated or moved). So it's an efficient use of capital to reuse the existing equipment. I guess the time to replace them with new electricity-powered designs is when Tesla has a lot more money to spend.

14. MitchJi

MitchJi Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness

They'll probably use what they learn from GF to do that, hopefully in the near future.

• Like x 1