Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Car Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't say for sure - but I'm pretty sure the LATCH systems are fairly limited in terms of max weight. They're super easy to install but only applicable for the first year or so - the car seat manufacturers recommend starting off using the actual belt just to avoid having to redo it down the road.

For really little ones, the UppaBaby Mesa has a LATCH base that ratchets and is a breeze to install.

I originally purchased a Clek Foonf for my Model 3 and found that while it is more narrow than most, it is also taller than most (the entire thing including the sides) so lifting the baby over the edge and into the seat was more difficult. We moved it to my wife's Range Rover, which has a much taller door opening and it hasn't been an issue since. I ended up getting a Nuna Rava for my Model 3 and have been happy with it. It is wider than the Foonf and requires a little care when folding down the split rear seat to avoid scuffing/hanging up on it - but it's easier to load the baby.

Installing the Nuna is easy using the vehicle belt. You basically thread it through - pull the belt all the way so it goes into lock mode - let it retract on its own - and then press down a panel on the car seat that automatically adds the appropriate amount of tension. Not a ratchet system but just as easy in my opinion. Threading it is the only annoying part because you have to go through the cup holder holes - which leaves the cup holder partially sticking out after installed.

I can't say for sure - but I'm pretty sure the LATCH systems are fairly limited in terms of max weight. They're super easy to install but only applicable for the first year or so - the car seat manufacturers recommend starting off using the actual belt just to avoid having to redo it down the road.

For really little ones, the UppaBaby Mesa has a LATCH base that ratchets and is a breeze to install.

I originally purchased a Clek Foonf for my Model 3 and found that while it is more narrow than most, it is also taller than most (the entire thing including the sides) so lifting the baby over the edge and into the seat was more difficult. We moved it to my wife's Range Rover, which has a much taller door opening and it hasn't been an issue since. I ended up getting a Nuna Rava for my Model 3 and have been happy with it. It is wider than the Foonf and requires a little care when folding down the split rear seat to avoid scuffing/hanging up on it - but it's easier to load the baby.

Installing the Nuna is easy using the vehicle belt. You basically thread it through - pull the belt all the way so it goes into lock mode - let it retract on its own - and then press down a panel on the car seat that automatically adds the appropriate amount of tension. Not a ratchet system but just as easy in my opinion. Threading it is the only annoying part because you have to go through the cup holder holes - which leaves the cup holder partially sticking out after installed.

Don't forget the foonf is the only one that comes in an all-white seat that matchey-matches the model 3 interior :p

per tesla Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

the max for latch is 65 lbs... Car seat PLUS the kid... so that would be 3-4 yr old, maybe 5 if its a light seat with a skinny kid.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
per tesla Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

the max for latch is 65 lbs... Car seat PLUS the kid... so that would be 3-4 yr old, maybe 5 if its a light seat with a skinny kid.

Thanks, hadn't seen this. I looked up the Nuna Rava and the seat itself weighs 27.2lb, so that puts the max child weight at 37.8lb using the latch. According to the Nuna's instructions the max weight for LATCH in rear facing is 35lb and forward facing 40lb - so that falls right within that general range. My 18 month old just hit 30lb so it won't be long before he exceeds the rear facing weight limit. I went ahead and installed with the belt from the start because that was what the Rava manual recommended. The Foonf in my wife's car is installed with LATCH though.

Thanks, hadn't seen this. I looked up the Nuna Rava and the seat itself weighs 27.2lb, so that puts the max child weight at 37.8lb using the latch. According to the Nuna's instructions the max weight for LATCH in rear facing is 35lb and forward facing 40lb - so that falls right within that general range. My 18 month old just hit 30lb so it won't be long before he exceeds the rear facing weight limit. I went ahead and installed with the belt from the start because that was what the Rava manual recommended. The Foonf in my wife's car is installed with LATCH though.
im itching to get rid of the car seat,,,, 40 inch tall and 35 lbs. Got a little bit to go.

In my test drive i installed a Cybex Solution S2 i-Fix (Specs here) for my 4 year old (He came to test the car with me :D ) in the back seat behind the passenger side without any problem.

The only complain i have is that the isofix hooks are buried in the seats and they aren't easy to find. But once they are in... Easy peasy!

Maybe a dumb question but will carseats damage/dent/crease the Model 3's seats?
With a protective mat. No. Not much different than other cars.

Iso fix is so easy to install. But the standard belt is not. I've installed my daughter seat yesterday and took my 30mins and I'm not satisfied with the install.. Nees 2nd pair of hands. One pushing the seat down and the other pulling the seat belt.

Took me 5mins with the other seat using ISO since my boy still under 65lbs combine weight