Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Car Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at ordering a tesla model 3 very soon.
i currently have a hyundai i30N with my baby seat in the back.
will the car seat fit nicely in the tesla? i have seen people put it in the middle seat, but it is on the left side of my i30
will it fit in the seat properly on the left? i know it has the iso fix points so i assume it will
cheers

Take a look at the M3 owners manual at the Tesla website. They have pages of instructions and info on installing child safety seats. And according to our daughter, who has two kids, it's safer to put the child safety seat in the middle rather than on the right or left

You can easily install infant seats behind the driver's seat and behind the passenger's seat. However they will not fit if the front seats are adjusted all the way back or are reclined too much. Depending on your preferred seating position that may or may not be an issue. Personally I find the front seats cramped when adjusted to accommodate rear-facing seats so I place the rear-facing seat behind the passenger.

Like many/most vehicles, there are no latches/iso fix points in the center position. So even if the center position is the safest in theory, most people will use the right/left positions since you can't install the base in the center.

Reactions: bedoig
Protip - if you're using LATCH instead of the seat belt to install the car seat, once you install the seat tap on the seat belt screen display to change that seat to a baby seat. That way it won't register as unbuckled when you load the seat in.

• Helpful
Reactions: BigNick
Protip - if you're using LATCH instead of the seat belt to install the car seat, once you install the seat tap on the seat belt screen display to change that seat to a baby seat. That way it won't register as unbuckled when you load the seat in.

I was under the impression that even if you used the LATCH anchors... you're still supposed to thread the shoulder/lap seat belt straps through the car seat and buckle it to help keep the seat secure. And of course the top teather should be affixed as well.

At least, that's how my forward facing seats are attached...

I was under the impression that even if you used the LATCH anchors... you're still supposed to thread the shoulder/lap seat belt straps through the car seat and buckle it to help keep the seat secure. And of course the top teather should be affixed as well.

At least, that's how my forward facing seats are attached...

If the user manual that come with your carseat suggest using both, then of course you should do that. But I would not just assume that is the best method, or even an acceptable method for all models of carseats. None of my car seats suggest doing that, and for some of them(britax clicktight), it seems like a sure fire way to mess up the locking mechanism. Always read and follow the instructions.

In general the model 3 seatbelts seem really poor / IMO-unacceptable choice for securing all of the front-facing car seats I have tried. The outside belt attachment is located to far forward so you cannot pull the carseat back into the seat. When you use the seatbelt the carseats tend to be crooked and wobbly.

Seatbelt installation works find for rear facing seats in the model 3 though.

If the user manual that come with your carseat suggest using both, then of course you should do that. But I would not just assume that is the best method, or even an acceptable method for all models of carseats. None of my car seats suggest doing that, and for some of them(britax clicktight), it seems like a sure fire way to mess up the locking mechanism. Always read and follow the instructions.

In general the model 3 seatbelts seem really poor / IMO-unacceptable choice for securing all of the front-facing car seats I have tried. The outside belt attachment is located to far forward so you cannot pull the carseat back into the seat. When you use the seatbelt the carseats tend to be crooked and wobbly.

Seatbelt installation works find for rear facing seats in the model 3 though.

Ah ok, I have Clek Foonfs and a Wayb for travelling and they both seem to recommend the latch + seat belt method. I guess I just assumed this was standard since it made sense to use both for absolute certainty on the seat being strapped in. As an aside, I do like the Clek ones for the rigid latch. Those things are rock solid after you slap them in compared to the other seats we tried.

Do you think you could fit 3 of them across?

No, each Foonf needs a pair of LATCH points. Since the Model 3 only has 4 latch points (left side and right side) the middle would not have any latch points. Plus the Foonf is too wide so 3 wouldn't fit anyway. Like if there was a car seat in each of the seats, there's no space in the middle for anything to fit.

I have a big graco extend2fit behind the passenger seat. Works fine. I’m using isofix and top tether.

If you need 3 across. The middle will be tight and needs to be installed with seat belt.

If you have a big car seat and use the middle seat, then right and left rear seat belts buckles will be unusable. Making the car essentially a 3 seater

So long as we're talking car seats - I've heard in the past of a device that helps you ratchet a car seat into place. I've got a Graco that has the click-to-release latches but tightening is always a pain. Is anyone familiar with such a ratcheting device?

OP, easy answer……take your present car seat you want to use in the Tesla Model 3 to a Tesla showroom and put it in the back seat of the car on their showroom for fit.

Haha what - your Tesla showrooms actually have cars out on display? Every showroom around here are just barren stalls since they are selling everything with 4 wheels.

So long as we're talking car seats - I've heard in the past of a device that helps you ratchet a car seat into place. I've got a Graco that has the click-to-release latches but tightening is always a pain. Is anyone familiar with such a ratcheting device?

Evenflo makes car seats with a built in ratchet strap of sorts on the LATCH connector.

But I still just recommend the Foonf since the rigid LATCH requires no adjustment and is super rock solid compared to the loose-LATCH.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
I just bought extra car seats, install once and leave it there.
I own 5 seats for just 1 kid LOL. The only car that doesnt have one installed is my sports car, but I use the travel one. Pico Wayb for that for emergencies.

Reactions: JohnnyMa