Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

baby picture of my Model S :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An abattoir is the greatest amount of daily evil that can be found on our planet.

I didn't want to write a post in this topic at first, but to this statement I HAD to answer.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, and I respect everyone who demands fair treatment of animals on any level.

But "the greatest amount of daily evil that can be found on our planet"? No, not imho.

A wife that is beaten to pulp by her drunk husband.
A child that is abused by a pedophile.
A young father, trying to help an innocent person being attacked on the subway, who is killed by a gang of thugs in the process.

THAT (and similar occurances) to me is the greatest amount of daily evil. And stuff like that is happening on this planet every second.
Sorry, but as bad as cruelty to animals is, cruelty to humans in my eyes is at least just as bad.

But now, back on topic.

If you don't mind me asking... How are you getting all these pics of your car as it is being built? I would LOVE that for mine. Do you sign up somewhere, or are you getting special VIP treatment from Tesla? ;)

Hi bareyb, I gave a speech to Tesla employees at both headquarters and the factory and while I was there I asked for this favor. They don't normally do this, but they made an exception because of the time I donated. You can imagine, with 500 cars built every week, why they do not offer to take pictures of everyone's car - it would slow down production! Also, except for the color combinations, all the pictures would pretty much look exactly the same...

I'm a Vegan who went with a standard 85 because they wouldn't offer me a Performance w/ textile interior. I'm thinking about upgrading now that it is an option. Aside from the steering wheel it seems like the dash is also wrapped in leather?
As I understand it – in the US configurator at least – you have to check the Extended Nappa Leather Trim to get the dash wrapped in leather:

extended.png

Source and Image credit: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

I think the standard dash is something other than leather. Don’t know exactly what though. But check that with Tesla just to make sure.

Perhaps you could just order the same steering wheel Leilani has, and have the steering wheel you have now swapped, unless you want a P85(+) of course…

Last edited:
As I understand it – in the US configurator at least – you have to check the Extended Nappa Leather Trim to get the dash wrapped in leather:

View attachment 31302
Source and Image credit: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

I think the standard dash is something other than leather. Don’t now exactly what though. But check that with Tesla just to make sure.

Perhaps you could just order the same steering wheel Leilani has, and have the steering wheel you have now swapped, unless you want a P85(+) of course…

Thanks, I think the quality of the synthetic leather fooled me. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Roadster as well which is making me want a P85+ :)

I didn't want to write a post in this topic at first, but to this statement I HAD to answer.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, and I respect everyone who demands fair treatment of animals on any level.

But "the greatest amount of daily evil that can be found on our planet"? No, not imho.

A wife that is beaten to pulp by her drunk husband.
A child that is abused by a pedophile.
A young father, trying to help an innocent person being attacked on the subway, who is killed by a gang of thugs in the process.

THAT (and similar occurances) to me is the greatest amount of daily evil. And stuff like that is happening on this planet every second.
Sorry, but as bad as cruelty to animals is, cruelty to humans in my eyes is at least just as bad.

But now, back on topic.

Actually, it's on topic.

But first, it's the raw numbers that are so eye opening, and so overwhelming, but let's see how we got here: We're not designed to eat other animals, BUT we've just been maleducated by our USDA (and our parents). At the time, we didn't know better; now we do.

Dr. Milton Mills is a Stanford Medical School graduate:

The Comparative Anatomy of Eating - Vegsource.com

This site scans the medical literature and summarizes it quite nicely (thus saving you from a life of absolute boredom!):

NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

But in the end, the ethical and moral argument is hard to pass up. At over 10 billion (with a "b"), land animals killed every year just in the US in 2010, nearly all of them treated as commodities, well, just Google "farm animal abuse" for an idea of the suffering. That tips the scales toward the greatest cruelty we commit, and all based upon what we choose to use for our Model S interiors, and what we place on our forks.

Animal Death Statistics 2011

The Animal Kill Counter ADAPTT :: Animals Deserve Absolute Protection Today and Tomorrow

The reality is that our second Model S is being built this month or in early September. We'll refuse delivery if it has any animal parts inside (so it'll be like Ms. Munter's Model S:). Elon and Tesla will catch up on this, given that the environmental reason the company exists, yet they don't speak to it much (yet) but they will. We're likely to submit a shareholder resolution for next year's stockholders meeting as the evidence is overwhelming and quite compelling. Tesla is way behind:

Cowspiracy | The Sustainability Secret

How Meat Contributes to Global Warming - Scientific American

Lastly, please note that every 21-days you get a new set of tastebuds. If you have a Tesla, you're likely to lean toward the environmental side of things. Why not go all the way with the 21-day Kickstart?

Kickstart Programs | Physicians Committee

Thanks for reading!

You choose to reply to an 11 month old post???

Yes, it was salient as we're ordering our second MS and I'd not previously noticed the comments that somehow seemed to suggest that domestic abuse (?) needed a ranking on the scale of evil. But that's only part of it.

Most of the folks on this forum are Model S owners or prospective owners, hence the important of reviving AND redirecting the conversation to where it matters (and this may seem harsh or extreme, but please bear with me): Ms. Munter's Model S (and ours) are vegan, but ALL Teslas should be given the overwhelming evidence that using the parts of slaughtered animals, in Teslas and elsewhere, is overwhelmingly bad for our planet.

As you'll see in the UN FAO report below, this is a no-brainer.

Elon helped start Tesla to help achieve sustainable transport. This is why we've purchased two thus far, with many more to come.

But to be forced to jump through hoops to ensure ours are vegan is, frankly, absurd. The overwhelming GHG emissions from livestock, and their massive strength relative to CO2, are quite well known. It's just the avenue by which we will get Tesla to acknowledge this and fix it that's in question. In the interim, we hope that education and public pressure will move the needle for Tesla, and we're likely to use a resolution at the next shareholders' meeting to point this out should Tesla fail to act in accordance with its own core principles within the near future.

Hence, the revival of this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts, and tolerating my long-winded reply:)

This damning UN report came out in 2006, well before the first Tesla Roadster was sold:

United Nations News Centre - Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns

Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,” senior UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) official Henning Steinfeld said. “Urgent action is required to remedy the situation.”

Cattle-rearing is also a major source of land and water degradation, according to the FAO report, Livestock’s Long Shadow–Environmental Issues and Options, of which Mr. Steinfeld is the senior author.
“The environmental costs per unit of livestock production must be cut by one half, just to avoid the level of damage worsening beyond its present level,” it warns.
When emissions from land use and land use change are included, the livestock sector accounts for 9 per cent of CO2 deriving from human-related activities, but produces a much larger share of even more harmful greenhouse gases. It generates 65 per cent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of CO2. Most of this comes from manure.

[snip]