Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Seating Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. But you may have to really work to make sure the seat is sufficiently secured using the center seatbelt. The right side is the next safest option because more cars are hit on the driver’s side (left) from people running red lights. And you can really secure the seat using the Latch attachments.
Plus the added benefit of being able to have the driver's seat in whatever position you'd like. I'm a bigger guy and like my seat back a little more. I couldn't do that if the car seat was behind me. Also, it's easier to reach a hand over to the rear passenger side if the baby needs something than if it was behind you.
Pro Tip: Make a driver profile called "Car Seat Check" and have it so the seat slides all the way back and reclines a bunch. When I do that I can see my baby really easily or even give him a bottle if I have to. (goes without saying, but shouldn't be done while driving)

There's really no good reason to use the LATCH system, so I wouldn't let that impact your decision. The seatbelt that comes with the car is just as good, if not better. LATCH was only created because people kept installing the seats wrong.

short article on the subject. Recommends using the middle with seatbelt:
Mythbusting: LATCH vs Seatbelt Installation
No doubt that the middle seat is safer. I've had various pediatricians tell me they recommend middle seat to people but put them on the side for their own kids like everyone else because the middle seat isn't as practical in a lot of vehicles.

There's really no good reason to use the LATCH system, so I wouldn't let that impact your decision. The seatbelt that comes with the car is just as good, if not better. LATCH was only created because people kept installing the seats wrong.

short article on the subject. Recommends using the middle with seatbelt:
Mythbusting: LATCH vs Seatbelt Installation
Uh, didn’t you just provide a good reason for the Latch system (people installing car seats wrong with seatbelt)?

I’ve done both and it’s MUCH easier to get a super tight fit with a Latch attachment than the seatbelt.