Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back and forth between a 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back and forth between a 3 and Y. It seems like the 3 has slightly better QC because it's been out since 2017 and they've worked out the kinks. I like the upcoming changes and chrome deletes, hopefully we can confirm it has a heat pump in it soon as well.

I would likely buy the SR+ variant of the 3 for $39k, but since there's no SR+ variant of the Y, I'd have to get the LR AWD for $49k. I do have state incentives that bring this down to $34k and $44k respectively, with no sales tax at purchase, but the rebate processing is delayed by months and I'm basically paying the higher amount.

My commute is only 20 miles round trip in a suburban/urban city, so I am not concerned about range. Aside from work I have local errands in town (driving kids to sports practice, less than 10 miles round trip) pretty much every day. I do take weekend trips to the shore but we usually take my wife's three row SUV anyway because it has more space. The only time I take my current vehicle down there is if I'm working and have to meet up with the family later. That trip between work and the shore is about 60 miles each way, but I have a V3 Supercharger option within 5 miles of work, and 2 other V2 Supercharger options on the route. I can also likely charge overnight at the shore destination (family member's house, would be 120V, but better than nothing.)

I know the 3 is generally more efficient than the Y because it's lighter and more aerodynamic. But, as a dad of 2 boys under 10, I know I'd like the space the Y offers. I don't really buy cars often so this would like to be a longer-term purchase to last hopefully 10-15 years. I know I'll probably get the bug before that, but I'd like to to last that long if I wanted to.

TL;DR - Is the quality control of the Model Y with flying roofs and passenger ejector seats enough to strongly consider the Model 3 SR+ over a Y LR AWD?

I live in the NYC metro area. I would likely switch to winter tires so I don't think I would be missing the AWD regardless.

Current vehicle is a 2019 Subaru Forester on lease. I have no qualms about breaking that lease. The Subaru replaced my Outback wagon which was having issues around the 100k mark and started to show signs of money pit. With trade-in and lease, I still haven't paid anything "out of pocket" with the lease yet. I can sell the car to Carvana and actually walk away with $1500-2000 positive equity.

I can also "wait" until the new Model 3 refreshes start to go into the Y. Does the Y have any 2021 VINs yet? Does the 2021 Y have the new interior refreshes?

Going back and forth between a 3 and Y. It seems like the 3 has slightly better QC because it's been out since 2017 and they've worked out the kinks. I like the upcoming changes and chrome deletes, hopefully we can confirm it has a heat pump in it soon as well.

I would likely buy the SR+ variant of the 3 for $39k, but since there's no SR+ variant of the Y, I'd have to get the LR AWD for $49k. I do have state incentives that bring this down to $34k and $44k respectively, with no sales tax at purchase, but the rebate processing is delayed by months and I'm basically paying the higher amount.

My commute is only 20 miles round trip in a suburban/urban city, so I am not concerned about range. Aside from work I have local errands in town (driving kids to sports practice, less than 10 miles round trip) pretty much every day. I do take weekend trips to the shore but we usually take my wife's three row SUV anyway because it has more space. The only time I take my current vehicle down there is if I'm working and have to meet up with the family later. That trip between work and the shore is about 60 miles each way, but I have a V3 Supercharger option within 5 miles of work, and 2 other V2 Supercharger options on the route. I can also likely charge overnight at the shore destination (family member's house, would be 120V, but better than nothing.)

I know the 3 is generally more efficient than the Y because it's lighter and more aerodynamic. But, as a dad of 2 boys under 10, I know I'd like the space the Y offers. I don't really buy cars often so this would like to be a longer-term purchase to last hopefully 10-15 years. I know I'll probably get the bug before that, but I'd like to to last that long if I wanted to.

TL;DR - Is the quality control of the Model Y with flying roofs and passenger ejector seats enough to strongly consider the Model 3 SR+ over a Y LR AWD?

I live in the NYC metro area. I would likely switch to winter tires so I don't think I would be missing the AWD regardless.

Current vehicle is a 2019 Subaru Forester on lease. I have no qualms about breaking that lease. The Subaru replaced my Outback wagon which was having issues around the 100k mark and started to show signs of money pit. With trade-in and lease, I still haven't paid anything "out of pocket" with the lease yet. I can sell the car to Carvana and actually walk away with $1500-2000 positive equity.

I can also "wait" until the new Model 3 refreshes start to go into the Y. Does the Y have any 2021 VINs yet? Does the 2021 Y have the new interior refreshes?

I'd say get the MY. But here's why I say that; The M3 is a true compact sedan so getting in and out of the car is a little less convenient. It's also a little less roomy than the MY and has far less storage. It is sleeker and I think a better looking car, but the MY is more utilitarian. It's easier to get in and out of, has an incredibly roomy cabin and can carry a ton of stuff. And I love the all-glass roof. It handles very well and is as quick as you will ever need it to be. If you want a sub 4 second 0 to 60 car, you can get the performance variant. Personally, it's plenty quick in the LR variant (how many crossovers do you know that do 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds?).

I bought this also for the long haul. I'm learning that it is probably cheaper to maintain than an ICE car too. No fluids to change, drive lines to lube, plugs to change or gearboxes to futz with. And with regenerative braking I hardly ever touch the brake pedal. I could gush on forever but long story short, the M3 is "sportier" than the Y (the Y is quite sporty to drive) and the Y is (IMHO) easier to live with.

Since you drive, have driven a hatchback can you really give up the utility of the hatch (Model Y)?

I believe in getting the largest capacity battery that is offered. That way you won't be as likely to be concerned with range if you need to take a longer trip or during winter. I previously drove a 2017 Chevy Volt, every autumn and winter Volt owners know to expect a drop in estimated EV driving range of ~25% (from 53 miles (EPA rating) down to as low as 40 miles) in the coldest depths of winter. This is simply due to colder temperatures and everything from battery chemistry to drive unit lubricants to tires to air density causing the EV to have to work harder. This was before factoring in use of the Volt's electric heat.

Another option to consider would be the Long Range RWD Model Y. That version of the Model Y is rumored to start shipping around the end of 2020. The final price of the RWD has not been determined but it could save a few thousand dollars over the price of the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y.

Reactions: GSP and Pilot1226
All of you points are valid, however I think this comes down to the size and shape of the car. To me, if you want a smallish sedan, get the 3, if you want a smallish crossover, get a Y. I really can't see many people not having an opinion over which form factor they prefer. I personally would never ever ever buy a 3 and I have friends who would likewise never buy a Y.
Sit in both, try to put your normal cargo in both, I bet you answer your question.
Based on your Outback and Forrester, you seem more of a Y person to me :)

Reactions: Pilot1226
Thanks for your replies. I am mostly interested in superior efficiency (my CUV gets around 23 mpg combined over the tank) and regenerative braking to help boost gains in city traffic. Yes, I do need some room for stuff but I found the Model 3 to be adequate. The Y would provide some extra luxuries with space. The roof is nice but I also found the 3 nice. I have driven the 3 but not the Y yet mostly due to pandemic concerns and unnecessary risks.

I also don’t need to go 0-60 in under 4 seconds. At least I don’t think I do. My car now does it in 9, but I don’t really ever have a need for that kind of speed I guess, since the city driving is like a 35 mph with lights every quarter mile or so.

I have a 3 but it's because it looks better and is a little more sporty.

I don't have kids and my trunk is normally empty.
I have never needed more cargo room.

They sit the same amount of people. If you need a hatchback buy a Y if you don't like them buy a 3.

Also I'm in NY you don't need winter tires. Especially with the awd. It's a very fun car to drive... Even in NYC.

Either way I'd suggest not getting an SR. range goes down significantly in the cold.

• Informative
Thanks for your replies. I am mostly interested in superior efficiency (my CUV gets around 23 mpg combined over the tank) and regenerative braking to help boost gains in city traffic. Yes, I do need some room for stuff but I found the Model 3 to be adequate. The Y would provide some extra luxuries with space. The roof is nice but I also found the 3 nice. I have driven the 3 but not the Y yet mostly due to pandemic concerns and unnecessary risks.

I also don’t need to go 0-60 in under 4 seconds. At least I don’t think I do. My car now does it in 9, but I don’t really ever have a need for that kind of speed I guess, since the city driving is like a 35 mph with lights every quarter mile or so.
If you will be parking the vehicle in NYC then the smaller Model 3 would be an advantage. I too don't need blazing fast acceleration but it can be fun, addictive when safe to floor the Tesla's go pedal. Driving my Long Range Model Y on local roads the posted speed limit is always 45 MPH or less. As I stated I previously drove a Chevy Volt. Over the past few months as I have been driving my Model Y I have achieved similar efficiency to the Volt (267Wh/mi) although the Model Y is a larger, heavier and much more powerful vehicle. Regenerative braking enables one pedal driving, either creep or hold setting. Good driving technique combined with regenerative braking can extend your range but mostly its just good technique like moderate acceleration and anticipating traffic signals. Like the Model 3 the Chevy Volt had a low driver's seat. I appreciate the ease of entry and egress from the Model Y and the visibility while driving the Model Y.

Regarding efficiency, the Model Y has a heat pump. The Model Y heat pump system is more efficient than the heating system used in the Model 3. I wish the Model Y had a heated steering wheel, something that my Chevy Volt had.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Thanks for the reply. I think the thing to keep in mind is that I’m comparing the model three and the model Y with the idea that they will both have a heat pump. It appears that there are several refresh changes coming to the model three now, but electrek doesn’t have access yet to the interior.

I think the extra range is largely wasted on me because our family has a second vehicle that we can use on our vacations. Well I’m not going to deny the fact that we would probably prefer to bring an electric everywhere, I’m just saying that in a pinch we definitely have means to use the other car.

I live in Northern New Jersey outside the New York City metropolitan area. I very rarely go into the city itself. Parking is not really concerned because of my driveway at home and I have a parking lot at work.

it sounds like given the similarities and very slight difference in cost, it makes more sense to have the extra space afforded in the Y regardless of the refresh changes to the 3.

I am hoping that the refresh changes to make their way into the 2021 model Y, but from what I’ve heard, everyone with the new Vin number doesn’t seem to have any refreshes. Maybe this will happen at some point in the next 12 months, but for the Y it seems like the main things would be the double pane glass and the interior console changes. I wouldn’t mind the darker headliner as well.

I actually did think about the Chevy bolt for a while, but the fact that there is no adaptive cruise control and high cost compared to what you can get it that same price point made that less than an attractive option for me. This is kind of my feelings with the Hyundai Kona as well as the new Volkswagen ID4, at least from the cost point. The only thing that I am actively considering shopping the model Y against is the RAV4 prime. But apparently it is very difficult to find these, even though I do live in a California emissions State. The RAV4 Prime with Technology Package comes in at close to the same price at the model Y does. But my state does give me some incentives for full electrics compared to plug-in hybrids. I wouldn’t have to pay any state sales tax on the model Y, which would save 6.625% off the sales price. I would have to pay this with the RAV4. I would also get a State Rebate at $5000 off, and a 10% discount on tolls on the highway. I believe the RAV4 would still get the federal tax credit of $7500, but I would get a prorated state rebate of somewhere around the $1000 mark. I believe due to the efficiency calculations, the Tesla ends up being better over a longer time, like 10 years, because the RAV4 requires more energy to move. The red herring in the room is tires. Tesla tires appear to be very expensive and need replacement around the 25,000 mile mark. Whereas the RAV4 tires have a large profile sidewall and are about half price compared to the Tesla tires.

The RAV4 versus model Y debate is obviously another topic, and my intention in this post was just to compare the 3 and the Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Thanks for the reply. I think the thing to keep in mind is that I’m comparing the model three and the model Y with the idea that they will both have a heat pump. It appears that there are several refresh changes coming to the model three now, but electrek doesn’t have access yet to the interior.

I think the extra range is largely wasted on me because our family has a second vehicle that we can use on our vacations. Well I’m not going to deny the fact that we would probably prefer to bring an electric everywhere, I’m just saying that in a pinch we definitely have means to use the other car.

I live in Northern New Jersey outside the New York City metropolitan area. I very rarely go into the city itself. Parking is not really concerned because of my driveway at home and I have a parking lot at work.

it sounds like given the similarities and very slight difference in cost, it makes more sense to have the extra space afforded in the Y regardless of the refresh changes to the 3.

I am hoping that the refresh changes to make their way into the 2021 model Y, but from what I’ve heard, everyone with the new Vin number doesn’t seem to have any refreshes. Maybe this will happen at some point in the next 12 months, but for the Y it seems like the main things would be the double pane glass and the interior console changes. I wouldn’t mind the darker headliner as well.

I actually did think about the Chevy bolt for a while, but the fact that there is no adaptive cruise control and high cost compared to what you can get it that same price point made that less than an attractive option for me. This is kind of my feelings with the Hyundai Kona as well as the new Volkswagen ID4, at least from the cost point.

I drive into NYC over 60miles one way. Despite what everyone else says no matter how I drive the 3 I charge up to 70 - 80% leave sentry mode on and the heat. Get home at around 30-40%. I have a performance but according to this even I would have been fine with the smaller battery of a SR+. I would just charge to 90 or 100%. Prob still get home with 30-40%. Even 20% is a lot.

Not saying you should buy a SR+ though. Just my experience.

Last edited:
2 cents added
A good bud was in the process of ordering a 3 and I suggested he and his wife look at the Y. I went along for a test drive and was impressed.

Ingress/Egress was much better in the Y
Head room in the back seat was exceptional in the Y.
Ride quality and handling were comparable
The funky center screen baron dash approach looks much nicer in the Y as it sits lower in your line of site.

Again, just another 2 cents added in.

You will never be sorry with too much cargo space. Being able to transport large items is a plus in the Y. Large items will not fit in the trunk and may be too large for the back seat in a M3. As your boys grow and you start transporting a friend for each kid you will be happier with the larger MY. Power lift gate of the Y is also nice

Regarding tires, if you live with potholes 9 months of the year then definitely plan on getting the smaller diameter wheels, whether 18" for the Model 3 or 19" for the Model Y. This puts more rubber between the road and the rim of the wheel and will help reduce, but not eliminate, the chance of a sidewall failure in the event of driving over (into?) a pothole at speed. As with any vehicle spirited acceleration, cornering and braking will reduce the life of your tires. Tesla vehicles are heavy for their size so that will also affect tire life. The best thing to do is ensure your tires are properly inflated, according to the label on the A pillar by the driver's door. I would not vary from the recommended tire pressure by more than +/- 2 lbs as measured cold. One benefit of the dual motor configuration is that under acceleration power is applied to all four wheels, limiting wheel slip and theoretically distributing the torque to not prematurely wear out the rear tires. Also, with the dual motor configuration regenerative braking is applied to both front and rear wheels improving control on slippery roads (Tesla recommends using the Low setting for regenerative braking when driving on slippery road conditions.)

I’d do the 3 if you care about performance. I had the LR RWD 3 and now the Performance Y. From a purely fun to drive standpoint the 3 is much better and feels faster even though it isn’t. Much cheaper as well.

If you care about space then I’d go with the Y. Hope this helps.

I had a M3 which i sold and got a MY. The main reason is that it is easier to get in and out of the MY as its is slightly higher than the M3. There is more leg space in the 2nd row and over all i feel that it is more comfortable to drive ( its is definitely not as sporty as M3). I am in my 60's so my preference is different, if you have family or a dog , do long trips, MY is a better choice.