TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Back Armrest pass through?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mike25, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mike25

mike25 Member

Do the back armrest has a pass through, for things like skis? If you can't have a rack this could be a backup option. My old 2000 Honda accord had that and it was very useful.

2. Runt8

Runt8 Member

I’d be interested to know this as well. My old Subaru had this and was very useful for skis and hockey sticks. My newer Acura doesn’t so I used to have to fold down the 40% side of the backseat to fit things. Then when the car seats became a necessity I started jamming the hockey sticks next to the passenger doors, which was less than ideal.

A center pass through would be great (and an integrated cover even better).

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Right, my current BMW 328 has this also. Besides the folddown seats (like the 3), it has a door behind the armrest, and a bag to put the skis' 'tail' in so dirt (or schmutz, as Bjorn says!) don't get all over the interior.

Would definitely be a nice touch.... Again, one thing we won't know until someone does a complete review...

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

#4 MorrisonHiker, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I tried looking at the armrest last Friday but it was dark and it didn't look like there was a pass-through. If we'd had access to the trunk, we probably would've been able to confirm one way or the other.

• Like x 1
  5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Based on trunk photos, I would say pretty certainly there is no pass-through. If there was, I would expect another "seam" to the left of the 60/40 split.
    3 trunk.jpg
    photo credit: Motor Trend

• Informative x 3
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

Thanks. Based on what I saw when I pulled down the armrest, I would say there was not a pass-through but thought there could be a big cover in the trunk and it might still be possible. Based on that picture, I would agree that there probably isn't a pass-through at this time.

7. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

Cmon now. In the future people won't need to haul anything.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

most people would simply put down the right rear passenger seat... it's not a big deal.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I guess the 40 split side could be folded down for object like skis, but if you have 4 people in the car, not ideal. Fourth person could sit in the middle seat, but again not ideal.

I'm sure there will be roof rack at some point. We know we saw a prototype have a rack on it for testing at some point.

• Like x 1
  10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

And remember, with the glass roof (at least), you do get the anchor positions for a roof rack. It's supposed to have (someone mentioned this) the flip up covers to access mounting points for a rack.