Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back end slipping/strange for some owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on summer tyres and have driven on frosted roads in the last few weeks. I haven't noticed any loss of traction that could point to a change in traction control personally. I doubt Tesla have made any changes and tend to agree that it's likely a combination of weather and possible experiences (or lack of) in a powerful car.

That being said, the condescending responses are uncalled for.

It happened to me last night going home from work going around a roundabout. I was not going too fast either but the car felt like it was on Ice.

The road was dry and clear

I thought my tyres were low on tread but they seem fine.

PS had the car over 2 years and not experienced this before even when its wet, icey & snowy

Reactions: Rooster6655
Ignorant much

I've just downloaded a Firmware Update from Tesla to improve Winter Traction...

Maybe try this one...

20220127_100211.jpg

I had something that sounds like this on may daily trip to collect the little one from nursery, a couple of days ago. There’s a bit of road where you slow down for a tight kink in the road then it opens up to a 40 mph limit, so I tend to give it beans out of the kink. Been doing this journey for years, and in the M3 since March and never had any issues. Two days ago the rear end appeared to jump out causing a fair bit of oversteer. The road surface isn’t great, so I assumed it was just the wheels skipping over small potholes, but who knows. On 2021.44.30.8.

I tested this out yesterday when I saw the reports on a Facebook group. Seemed like too many reports for there not to be something in it.

My Model 3 has full winter tyres fitted and even with those it was very easy to break traction and lose grip in corners. I drove it on different road surfaces over the course of a 10 mile trip in Berkshire and almost everywhere the roads were pretty treacherous even though the weather was 'dry' i.e. no rain for a few days.

Just because the road is dry does not mean the tarmac has the same level of grip as the last time you drove on it. It doesn't matter if you've driven the same piece of road every day for the last 5 years. One day you could come across conditions which are very different to before and you always have to be prepared for that. It's just a part of driving.

It's been below 7C around here for the last few days. That and the lack of rain and other specific conditions have led to the roads becoming very greasy, Anyone with summer tyres is going to find it slippery. Doesn't matter whether you're in a V8 Camaro or an AWD Tesla. It's tricky out there.

But it isn't anything to do with some software/TC problem that's just suddenly somehow affected Teslas, whatever you might think or believe from what somone on a Facebook group says.

I had something that sounds like this on may daily trip to collect the little one from nursery, a couple of days ago. There’s a bit of road where you slow down for a tight kink in the road then it opens up to a 40 mph limit, so I tend to give it beans out of the kink. Been doing this journey for years, and in the M3 since March and never had any issues. Two days ago the rear end appeared to jump out causing a fair bit of oversteer. The road surface isn’t great, so I assumed it was just the wheels skipping over small potholes, but who knows. On 2021.44.30.8.
This was kicked off on the group I saw with someone reporting that 2021.44.30.11 is responsible. So there you go.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
What’s that supposed to me?

What he means is that the statement "The roads near me have been the same condition for months..." reveals a poor understanding of changing road conditions. I don't even need to have seen your local roads over the last few months to know that their condition has changed! I used to do some hillclimb sprints ... believe me tarmac grip conditions can change over the course of half an hour, let alone months.

one of the most horrible experiences which I had in my life was on Christmas eve, when were going to my mum (me, wife, 2 year old daughter)
It was evening (already dark), was doing ~110 kmh and it was a bit snowing. It's mandatory to drive non-summer tyres during the winter in Lithuania.

At some point I could not hear ANY road noise at all. it was just super quiet. Very odd... It was pure black ice.
It looked just like any other tarmac. just clear and dry. and no changes in the visual quality of the dry tarmac.

Reactions: Rooster6655