Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back end slipping/strange for some owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the problem, I can't reproduce it at will and to be honest, I hadn't really considered it was TC.

I've had it slowing for a junction (almost at a crawl), pulling out of my drive and one other time I can't remember what I was doing. I wouldn't class either of those as situations where I would expect traction problems based on the conditions.

It felt like something 'skipped' and IIRC it was the back nearside wheel every time, so I was concerned something mechanical was starting to give way!
How could you have a traction problem slowing for a junction? Were you braking and felt ABS? How can you say it absolutely wasn't road conditions? You inspected that piece of road after driving over it?

OK, I'd suggest the only real way to stop the bickering is; the next time this happens to someone on here, save the dashcam footage and post it up so we can take a look at what's going on.

It makes me laugh on here. If you do a thumbs down on someone post, they immediately go back and thumbs down one of your older posts. 🤣

So you disagree that the people experiencing this are not driving aggressively?
You don't have to drive aggressively to lose traction. You've got 500+bhp under your right foot and a lot of drivers use it as an on/off switch in any case.
Of course TC is going to kick in with the current road conditions. I've been out again this morning. Nice sunny day, 10C and the roads are still like an ice rink in places.

OK, I'd suggest the only real way to stop the bickering is; the next time this happens to someone on here, save the dashcam footage and post it up so we can take a look at what's going on.
That's not going to tell us much TBH. The camera isn't good enough and there's no on screen data of speed, throttle, steering etc.
In track mode you can record all the car's data so that would be useful but I don't think we'll convince many here to try that out 😁

That's not going to tell us much TBH. The camera isn't good enough and there's no on screen data of speed, throttle, steering etc.
In track mode you can record all the car's data so that would be useful but I don't think we'll convince many here to try that out 😁
Granted, but if the 'back steeping out' issue is as bad as some say, it should be pretty obvious on camera right?

Haven't noticed sliding, but about a week ago just before I sold the car, I felt a vibration through the wheel on a 40mph stretch. Thought for a second maybe they introduced a speed warning as I was just on the limit. Drove back the other way deliberately a little faster and nothing. Then tried a 60 section just to play with the speed and nothing, but then coming home had it again briefly. Was very odd. anyway not my car anymore :p

I had this once. Definitely road condition. Ice on a roundabout and me a bit faster than usual (take this roundabout every day) and the back of the car went all over the place.
Next day when it warmed up no issues. I am doing 115 miles per day on various roads (from M to crappy B roads where its me and tractors) and never noticed anything like this unless the road conditions cause it.
TC is not going to 100% prevent any slip on the road. Physics are physics; it will mitigate but up to a point.
Use some proper tyres ( I wonder how may of these reports are from people still on the original ones driving with a lead foot) not used to the fact that they are driving an almost 500 bhp car.
Also why no reports like this during summer?

Reactions: DM206433
How could you have a traction problem slowing for a junction? Were you braking and felt ABS? How can you say it absolutely wasn't road conditions? You inspected that piece of road after driving over it?
There is a part of the road outside my house where I have to slow to almost a stop to merge. The last bit is covered in gravel. When slowing, I'm obviously using regen braking and it's apparent that something kicks-in and there is a small 'skid' of about half a wheel turn on the gravel. I'm only going about 5-10 mph I hadn't thought about ABS on regen.

I had this once. Definitely road condition. Ice on a roundabout and me a bit faster than usual (take this roundabout every day) and the back of the car went all over the place.
Next day when it warmed up no issues. I am doing 115 miles per day on various roads (from M to crappy B roads where its me and tractors) and never noticed anything like this unless the road conditions cause it.
TC is not going to 100% prevent any slip on the road. Physics are physics; it will mitigate but up to a point.
Use some proper tyres ( I wonder how may of these reports are from people still on the original ones driving with a lead foot) not used to the fact that they are driving an almost 500 bhp car.
Also why no reports like this during summer?
Because the new updates were only out a few weeks ago. Why no reports of this every winter?

It’s not rained around here for a while - my car looks a right state - and it’s ages until its biannual wash. If the roads have the same layer of greasy surface film/muck as my M3, my summer tyres don’t stand a chance at five degs….

Reactions: DM206433
There is a part of the road outside my house where I have to slow to almost a stop to merge. The last bit is covered in gravel. When slowing, I'm obviously using regen braking and it's apparent that something kicks-in and there is a small 'skid' of about half a wheel turn on the gravel. I'm only going about 5-10 mph I hadn't thought about ABS on regen.
This could definitely account for slowing down weirdness, due to aggressive regen.

Just for info this is what someone has written elsewhere and exactly describes what happened to me. The power comes earlier when turning would explain it perfectly.

“It's a software change to how the traction control behaves. Previously it wouldn't put all the power down until you had straightened up, now it does. It's not a problem actually, but it's just that it's changed that it has caught people unaware.”

Last edited:
This is one of the most fun aspects of owning a Tesla - the dynamics of the car can change every time there's a firmware release.

When I first got mine I noticed that on some tight corners you could feel the power change on the front wheels kick in as any understeer started, but that was changed in one of the major releases last year and the handling became much more neutral.

The rear of my car did twitch on one tight right-hander last week where it's never happened before. I put that down to road conditions, but it was my first time there on 30.7 so I guess I can't rule out another change to TC now.

Then again I have 30.11 now, the car may decide to just throw me in a hedge for the hell of it.

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo and Tigermad