Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back end slipping/strange for some owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the most fun aspects of owning a Tesla - the dynamics of the car can change every time there's a firmware release.

When I first got mine I noticed that on some tight corners you could feel the power change on the front wheels kick in as any understeer started, but that was changed in one of the major releases last year and the handling became much more neutral.

The rear of my car did twitch on one tight right-hander last week where it's never happened before. I put that down to road conditions, but it was my first time there on 30.7 so I guess I can't rule out another change to TC now.

Then again I have 30.11 now, the car may decide to just throw me in a hedge for the hell of it.
So it changed last year after one of the updates? Was it a documented change?

So it changed last year after one of the updates? Was it a documented change?

I don't remember reading anything in the release notes - but then they often have vague things like the infamous "cold weather improvements".

I couldn't say for sure which release it was, with all the restrictions in place the car sometimes sat in the garage for three or four weeks in between drives so could have several updates in that time.

I just remember noticing that it was reacting in a different way to the one I expected in some situations. You know how it is, you get used to the way a vehicle drives so even subtle changes can be noticeable.

My car used to do this strange thing in empty car parks when it snowed…

Curious really, because I’d find myself *in* the car park occasionally, and only when there was no on around, the car would just start doing donuts. It never did this in the same place a few months before. Never looked into it but probably something to do with traction control going haywire.

/s

Curious really, because I’d find myself *in* the car park occasionally, and only when there was no on around, the car would just start doing donuts. It never did this in the same place a few months before. Never looked into it but probably something to do with traction control going haywire.

/s
I tried to get the SR+ to do doughnuts last year in a snowy parking area. It was a fascinating battle with the traction control, foot flat on the floor! I did have winter tyres on and it would just lurch round but steadfastly refused to slide in any useful way. Little joined up slides were the best it would manage. Too safe by half. You need the track mode settings of a Performance to do smooth doughnuts I reckon.

• Funny
Reactions: Casss

/s
I've had that problem too. I've also had inadvertent handbrake application at times causing the back to step out abruptly, often with a squealing sound from the tyres. Very odd.

• Informative
Reactions: Casss
Sorry, but it hasn't. The roads are very greasy at the moment because of specific weather conditions a lot of the country is experiencing. It's nothing more than that but if you still believe it's a software bug, I'm sure they'll fix it in a future release. Probably around the time when the roads become less greasy.

BTW, where are all these reports you've found? Any links? Any of them outside the UK?
This happens at low speed and it feels like the car slides out a few inches from the direction of the curve. It is really weird and feels like a diff lock problem.

This happens at low speed and it feels like the car slides out a few inches from the direction of the curve. It is really weird and feels like a diff lock problem.
There is no diff as such in a Model 3. It's effectively an open diff. It doesn't matter what speed it happens, it's just lack of grip because the road is slippery.

I have actually seen this and wondered if there was a problem with the rear motor, a jolt or slip when I wouldn't expect it to at all. Maybe only 3 times, but very strange. Definitely not related to road conditions and only a recent occurence (I've had the car coming up for 2 years).
Me to. SR+ owner. Had plenty of rwd cars and litre sportsbikes. Car is feeling different in the rear left traction when driving hard out of tight bends. I have noticed it 3- 4 times doing something that feels different to how its been todate on slippy wet greasy roads That said i thought it might be tread depth or pressure ( am 2-3 psi down at mo) and havent checked tread.

Just logged on to post this as it happens, interesting there appears to be many others with a similar experience!

Had a software update at the weekend and just this week, I`ve noticed the rear left tyre is losing traction when exiting many different roundabouts in my M3P. Tyres are Quatrac Pro all season with 6k miles on there.

Just logged on to post this as it happens, interesting there appears to be many others with a similar experience!

Had a software update at the weekend and just this week, I`ve noticed the rear left tyre is losing traction when exiting many different roundabouts in my M3P. Tyres are Quatrac Pro all season with 6k miles on there.
Apparantly something new has coated our roads this week that has never been there before, so the drivers are too blame for all this. 2 weeks ago the roads must have been perfect because the car was driving fine. Tesla wouldn’t change such a thing to make this happen in an app update :)

Apparantly something new has coated our roads this week that has never been there before, so the drivers are too blame for all this. 2 weeks ago the roads must have been perfect because the car was driving fine. Tesla wouldn’t change such a thing to make this happen in an app update :)
I’ve had the same experience, albeit rather in a Smart (rear engined and rear wheel drive), don’t remember whether it had any softwares to update at all but drifting is fun though :) Would have been great in a Tesla!

Last edited:
Haven’t noticed any change to the TC, either in a straight line, or to the gLat/yaw/steering angle sensitivity.

The roads are so bad at the moment I can slide the car sideways with a neutral throttle, I.e. TC not involved at all.

As someone pointed out: all that crud on the side of your car is also found on the road, between the tarmac and your posh rubber.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Did some spirited driving on fast quiet country road ... not 10 tenths but sufficient for the car to report a consumption of 1319Wh/mile over a distance of 10 miles in my RWD SR+ ... so you get the picture... not hanging about. Road surface was dry but with salt dust and temperature about 7 degrees. Handling was predictable with any movement of the car commensurate with the conditions. Still no indication (in my car at least) that the traction control is doing anything different (software 2021.44.30.11).

Haven't driven my 2021+ Model S in the snow / ice much so far. I find the thread and driver experiences interesting because of how engineering of the various ICE / EV drivetrains differs, and the dramatically increasing importance of the electronics managing the driving experience. I enjoy the challenge of driving in snow (less so in ice, higher pucker factor), from a RWD 1960's Dodge Dart (cinder blocks in the trunk, snow tires on the rear tires only) through a range of SUVs (early Isuzu Trooper, GM and Ford full-size), Audi A6 Quattro and Jeep SRT. Each system is different and has its strengths and limitations. From what I've read, the S makes greater use of its front motor than the 3. Software controlled, of course. I'm guessing it will be harder to fully appreciate how the Tesla will respond compared to more mechanical systems, and that it can change over time with changes to the code.