Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back hatch won't close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
This might be a simple thing, but I haven't figured it out yet. It seems that whenever I leave the rear hatchback open over night in my garage, if I then try to close it either from my key fob or by pressing the button on the door, I get three loud beeps and no movement. I literally have to close it manually to get it to close. Anyone else see this?

This might be a simple thing, but I haven't figured it out yet. It seems that whenever I leave the rear hatchback open over night in my garage, if I then try to close it either from my key fob or by pressing the button on the door, I get three loud beeps and no movement. I literally have to close it manually to get it to close. Anyone else see this?
This popped up for me recently and I'm taking it in for service tomorrow. They know how to fix it, and it's supposedly something that only happens on earlier vehicles (i.e. newly produced vehicles already have the correction).

I'm not sure what the Service Center is going to fix as it is designed to work that way. See Page 10 of the Owner's Manual:

• If you leave the liftgate open for more than an hour, the power closing
feature is temporarily disabled. Manually close the liftgate to restore
powered operation.

Mike

I'm loading stuff into it, there's no reason to close it until I get ready to go into the morning since it's inside a garage...

No insult intended, but that is the strangest kind of logic I have ever come across in my entire life.
You are saying you are loading things into the trunk. Then you leave it open the entire night. Then you close it in the morning before you leave. Why not close it in the evening, after you loaded your stuff into it? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own... :wink:

I've run into this after leaving the trunk open for about an hour. What I think is odd is that it knows enough to signal with three tones but doesn't want to close it. Even the trunk button inside the car didn't close it. I think this is a misfeature. I am fine with shutting off the interior lights but refusing to close the trunk seems like a bug, not a feature.

No insult intended, but that is the strangest kind of logic I have ever come across in my entire life.
You are saying you are loading things into the trunk. Then you leave it open the entire night. Then you close it in the morning before you leave. Why not close it in the evening, after you loaded your stuff into it? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own... :wink:

I kitesurf a lot and frequently have damp stuff in the rear. The wetsuit and towel and other obviously wet stuff comes out to dry by hanging, but there's always some moisture left back there. So I also often leave the lift gate open all night to air it out and close it in the morning.

LIFT GATE NOT LOWERING Issue

I washed my car one day ago at night, at dusk. I have washed my Model S many times at home and have never had any issue, we are talking about standard water from a garden hose, a soft rag, dish soap, etc.

The following morning in my normal routine, I opened the lift gate (trunk), I have the tech package so it is motorized.

But the lift gate would not close. I didn't have time to deal with it in the morning rush so later at an office park I looked closely. Every time the lift gate button was pressed (underneath the lip), there would be TWO BEEPS. Upon closer inspection, I could see the lift gate trying to "go up further" almost like it didn't know it reached the apex.

I tried to manually lower the lift gate height and hold down the trunk button on the lip of the trunk for a few seconds waiting for the solid beep confirming the new height. But that didn't solve the problem.

I tried to reboot the displays (holding down the scroll dials on the steering wheel, etc) but to no avail.

I called Tesla service and a service appointment was several weeks out.

Dispondent I went to sleep and this morning lo and behold it is working fine.

I suspect that water had infiltrated whereever the sensor was that confirmed the lift gate was fully open and ready to go "back down", or the logic circuit was faulty, whatever.

Anyways, I thought I would post this so that there is a record of someone who has had this issue. I believe this had to do with the car wash and the water infiltrating some sensor. Luckily it is now fixed.

Best,

85n280

Model S, Res #828
Menlo Park CA