Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back issue--Model 3 upgrade to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 I have since 2019. I have lower back issues and have a problem getting in and out of the car. Would it be a lo easier with a Model Y? Is the seat more like an SUV seat where you sit straight up? I could drive 4 hours to the nearest Tesla center to find out but I thought perhaps someone could answer this question here.

thanks for the response in advance.

Alan

When I sat in a Tesla Model 3 for the first time I knew I would never be comfortable getting in and out of a vehicle with such a low driver's seat. I felt the strain in my knees more than my back. I waited for the Model Y. As far as easy of entry and egress the Model Y is so much easier. I don't feel any strain on my knees or have to bend and contort my body getting in.

The driver's seat of the Model Y has adjustable lumbar support. Tesla has removed the adjustable lumbar support from the front passenger seat. It is unclear if the adjustable lumbar support will be restored to the front passenger seat in the future (assuming it is a supply chain issue that caused Tesla to remove this feature.) The Tesla Model Y front passenger seat now comes with fixed lumbar support.

I think you will be well pleased with the Model Y. My wife and I have test drove a model 3 a few times but when we purchased the Y, she was well pleased. I feel like I slide in more so then down in the M3. I don't think you will miss much with the Y, only good things to come.

I checked out both the Model 3 and the Model Y before settling on my Y. I really wanted to like the 3 since I was going to get the Performance version of either one and the 3 is a bit quicker and a little cheaper. Unfortunately, the same issues you raised were the same reasons I went with the Y. Easier to get in and out of (like WADan said, you don't need to drop down nor climb up, it's a very natural slide in) as well as easier to load cargo.

As for the seats themselves, I believe they're the same seats so I would assume comfort and support would be identical between the two cars. The Y's seats are just on 6 inch risers, making it easier to get in and out as well as giving a better view of the road.

I have a Model 3 I have since 2019. I have lower back issues and have a problem getting in and out of the car. Would it be a lo easier with a Model Y? Is the seat more like an SUV seat where you sit straight up? I could drive 4 hours to the nearest Tesla center to find out but I thought perhaps someone could answer this question here.

thanks for the response in advance.

Alan
I’m 6’4” and have had debilitating back issues. Only had the Y 9 days but I can say that the combination of the supportive seat and the Easy Entry feature makes it quite back friendly. The headroom and height of entry help as well.