Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back/lift gate glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My back window cracked across and needs to be replaced. Have anyone used safelite to replace the back glass ? I called and they quoted me for aftermarket glass and they say it's the same as the OEM one but cheaper. I'm thinking of going thru insurance but my deductible is $500, that's almost the same price as the replacement. Did you guys go thru insurance or pay out of pocket ? Thanks

It may vary by state, but in the two states I’ve lived in my insurance has always had a 0 deductible for glass only claims. Before you decide to pay out of pocket you might want to make sure that you’ll really have to pay the deductible.

I can’t really help much with your rear window, but I had a stone hit my windshield and crack it and my insurance recommended safelite. I started the process with safelite, but they mentioned that after the windshield replacement I may need to take the car to Tesla to recalibrate the autopilot system. That made me nervous enough that I talked to my insurance and got their ok to just have Tesla do the replacement.

I have used safelite for windshield replacements on other vehicles and I haven’t had any complaints about their service. Autopilot wouldn’t be an issue with the back glass, so I don’t think I’d have a problem using them for that.