Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back middle seat- any experience with adult or bigger child?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, We are planning to buy a Model Y in Europe with three children between 8 and 13. One of the most important aspects for us is long trip suitability of the car for us. Unfortunately we don't have the possibility to see or try a Model Y still for a while. Anyone has already made experience in this area, specifically regarding the middle seat? How comfortable is it to sit there, does a child booster seat fit on the middle seat, etc? Thanks for sharing any experience!

Thank you for your reply. Do you think a booster can fit on the middle seat as well? Just because of the space between the seat belts' latches.
While I don't think it's preferred, due to no latch points for the middle position, a booster seat that uses just the shoulder harness straps should work.

(Which brings me to the question as to why the arguably safest position in the back seat is typically not set up for child seats on many vehicles, not just Teslas.)

Thank you for your reply. Do you think a booster can fit on the middle seat as well? Just because of the space between the seat belts' latches.
I tried putting our booster seat in the middle position and it seems to block access to the latches on either side, perhaps other booster seats could still provide access though. Here is a photo showing latches, with our booster seat slid forward for reference. I measure a span of about 350 mm from the outer edges of the latches, our booster seat is nearly 400 mm wide.

Attachments

• 65E2A178-CC5E-4BD2-9546-471BF4A95FCF.jpeg
    65E2A178-CC5E-4BD2-9546-471BF4A95FCF.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 169
Thank you for this detailed insight! Indeed it seems to be difficult to place a booster there. The idea behind that would have been to let the smallest one sit on the probably more uncomfortable middle seat with the booster, especially on the longer trips.

Anyone with further experience regarding the comfort aspect of the middle seat on longer trips (for bigger children or adults)?

Hi,
I have the same question and family configuration (3 children between 7 and 11)...
I want to put this topic up.
I would like to make the Model Y my family car.
We have tried a Model 3 for 3 days, and it was ok for that experience.
I think the model Y should be better as the seats are balanced differently, with a larger central seat.
I need to take a decision now based on my current leasing term but the model Y is not available in Europe yet for testing...
Thank you in advance

I have 3 car seats in the back now. Passenger side is a rear facing seat, middle is a forward facing booster seat, and driver side is a forward facing car seat.

Children as ages 3 months (rear facing), 7 years (middle booster) 2.5 years (forward facing)

I actually took all most car seats to the dealership for my test drive to confirm beforehand they would fit.

I have 3 car seats in the back now. Passenger side is a rear facing seat, middle is a forward facing booster seat, and driver side is a forward facing car seat.

Children as ages 3 months (rear facing), 7 years (middle booster) 2.5 years (forward facing)

I actually took all most car seats to the dealership for my test drive to confirm beforehand they would fit.

Thank you for your prompt reply