Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

back noise when switching to PARK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just got my model X a few weeks ago.. i just noticed a noise when shifting from PARK to reverse/drive, and vice versa (going from reverse or drive, to PARK).. the sound comes from the back (battery?)... is this normal? thanks.
Kind of sounds like a short whirring burst of an electric drill, right? Since Teslas do not really have different gears of a transmission, they do not lock in a transmission gear when they do "Park". What is actually happening is that there is a second set of brake rotors on the rear wheels that do the function of the parking brake or "Park" on the gear shift lever. The way those are activated is with a little screw-drive that presses them up against the brake rotors so that they can stay there holding the wheels without having to continuously apply energy to hold them in place.

So yeah, you will hear a little drill-like noise every time you shift in or out of Park.

Kind of sounds like a short whirring burst of an electric drill, right? Since Teslas do not really have different gears of a transmission, they do not lock in a transmission gear when they do "Park". What is actually happening is that there is a second set of brake rotors on the rear wheels that do the function of the parking brake or "Park" on the gear shift lever. The way those are activated is with a little screw-drive that presses them up against the brake rotors so that they can stay there holding the wheels without having to continuously apply energy to hold them in place.

So yeah, you will hear a little drill-like noise every time you shift in or out of Park.

yeah! drill like in the back. just want to make sure it's normal. thanks for the reply and reassurance!