Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back of knee pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I have been driving my model 3 for almost 3 years. I began having pain in the back of my knee during distance driving about a year ago and now it's every time I drive. I thought is was sciatica but I'm convinced it's from my car. Anyone else having these issues?

Not for me; and I have sciatica (left side). Although the pain mostly is evident when I'm standing for some time, not sitting. I do have the seat slightly tilted; front higher than the rear. I haven't gone on a long trip in over a year, say more than an hour of continuous driving. What I miss are my Recaro seats that I used to have in my RX-7. They had adjustable (extendable) leg support. But then again, I didn't have the sciatica then that I do have now.

Upvote 0
Hey all. I have been driving my model 3 for almost 3 years. I began having pain in the back of my knee during distance driving about a year ago and now it's every time I drive. I thought is was sciatica but I'm convinced it's from my car. Anyone else having these issues?
I suffer from Sciatica from time to time. In fact, at one point it was so bad that I switched from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to a Volvo. Once I had a Volvo, I never had that issue on long driving trips again. I've never had the issue at all in my M3 - best car seats ever, even better than a Volvo's

Upvote 0
I found the seat cushion to be short compared to my old BMW, caused some cramping in my buttock on long drives. I solved it by raising the front of the seat cushion to provide more thigh support.

Upvote 0
I am having pain in my right knee. I have had my model 3 for three years as well. I am also convinced it is from letting up on the accelerator pedal repeatedly to slow down. I am not doing anything differently in my daily routine to affect my knee.

Upvote 0
I suffer from occasional bouts of sciatica and I also have problems with my right knee that require me to wear an elastic brace whenever I do any kind of moderate exercise. I've had these problems for years and years thanks to lots of running and skiing. I found it hard to drive any kind of distance because of them. In fact, in 2008 I switched to a Volvo because I'd heard their seats were the best. And yes, those seats did help with the problem enormously. So I was hesitant to switch to a Tesla or any other kind of car. But exactly a year ago today, I took the plunge and picked up my M3LR. For me at least, the seats in my M3 are an improvement over Volvo's seats. I never have any knee pain or sciatic pain when driving my M3 long distances. I'm well aware that the source of my pain may be different than someone else's pain so I don't dispute what you are saying, but perhaps you should try some different seating positions. Also, there are a series of exercises any physical therapist can give you to alleviate sciatic pain. They need to be done daily or your pain will come back, but they do work.

Upvote 0
I started getting that a few years ago.
I thought it was my truck's seat. Then my next vehicle's seat
Figured out it has to do with the fact that I'm an old fart.
Although, i still think posture and how you fit with your seat can exasperate things

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0