TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Back of seats are foam?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by adurstewitz, Aug 31, 2013.

1. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

#1 adurstewitz, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Recently, I had my 3 year old sitting behind me in his car seats without shoes on (so he didn't get my seats all dirty). Instead, he was able to notch out several pieces of FOAM with his toe nails. WTF?!?! Shouldn't the back of these seats be solid plastic? All of my previous cars have had a solid backing to the seats.

8B4D2955-AF92-4F46-89F2-7BABE304A8C6.jpg

2. tomanik

tomanik Member

do you have a photo maybe? The back of the driver and passenger seats are hard plastic as far I have seen when cleaning them so I'm not sure where the foam would be coming from that your referring to. That said, kids and dogs always seem to find a products weaknesses

3. adurstewitz

Updated my original post with the picture. It's a little hard to see, but the 'plastic' covering is nothing more than a thin (1mm?) thick surface. My past two cars (X5, M35) both had sold plastic backs to the seats specifically to protect against this type of damage. Because of the feel of the surface, I thought it WAS hard plastic. Now, I see that I was wrong.

4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

OK we have a new routine in my family starting today (two boys, one 1-year old and one 3-year old): nail clipping and filing every other day.

5. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Im guessing this improves safety if the passenger hits the back of the seat in an accident.

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Oh wow that sucks.

7. wormhole

wormhole Banned

Don't think its foam, or if it is, a very hard version of it sitting atop a structure skeleton...

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I doubt Tesla had this in mind during development.... Not good.

9. adurstewitz

Agreed - just really frustrating to have holes in the seats of such an expensive car.

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

Um yeah...let us know what service center does.

11. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Or you can just get seat covers which will cover the back. I just got mine from Wet Okole. The quality and the fit is great.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Sorry to see that damage. Hope the 3-year-old was let off with just some yelling.

My 6-year-old constantly kicks the base of the 'plastic' shell and leaves scuff marks but, those come off easily with a moist cloth. Better that for sure.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Hmm, I'm VIN3737 and also have a 3, soon to be 4 year old, constantly kicking the drivers seat and it really feels like hard plastic and is very scuffed but no holes. Maybe an ECO cut in between our cars?

14. Martini

Martini Member

My daughter once chewed an armrest to within an inch of its life. And are mine the only ones that like passing directly between the back seat and the front without going outside first? I'll get a Tesla once they graduate college.

15. Desdi

Desdi Member

Hmm, I wonder if my kid will miss her toes that much...? ponder.gif