Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back out of trade in before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello!

As you can see I'm new but been a lurker. I finally ordered my MY last week and have been debating what to do with my trade in. I currently have it appraised through Tesla and the last thing I have to do is accept the offer.

Carmax will give me a higher selling price by $5k at current mileage. Carvana etc are all lower priced about on par with what Tesla is offering. I like the Tesla offer mainly because I do have the mileage flexibility, I still need my car for emergencies or for a short run to the hardware store to get mulch and such (SUV vs sedan as my other car right now).

If I accept the Tesla offer, can I remove it right before delivery or are you locked in once you accept the offer?

Thank you!

I swapped back and forth between the options while I was waiting for Carma, Carvana, KBB, and Vroom. After I finally sold to a local dealer who was part of the KBB program, I switched to no trade.

you can’t do it (switch between options) via the website once you accept everything and the MVPA is released. Has to be done via a phone call to the advisor.

also keep in mind: depending on your location, you’ll be able to use the trade to your advantage and reduce sales tax. For me, that reduction was not a better deal than simply selling my car and paying full tax.

I backed out from trade in. MY was supposed to be delivered on 3/30, but came with defective screen and Tesla had no parts. So they found another car from 400 miles away but delivery was on 4/7. on 3/30 my trade was good on 4/3 it expired since it crossed 35 day. Carvana gave me $760 more vs Tesla counting all the tax credits.
The disadvantage is that I couldn't transfer my tags since I was not trading it to Tesla. Now I need to wait 4 weeks till they give me plates and do a transfer. Probably will cost me some $$. I think still worth it going with Carvana, offsets some Insurance increase and pays for the tint :cool:

Great! Thanks for the reply. In my case, the difference is 31k vs 35k so I need to figure out if that 4k difference 1) will still be 4k with additional mileage added (within 1k miles for Tesla) and the tax for IL.

Thank you for the input! Accept the offer was the only task holding me up from moving into MVPA.

HA maybe I'm doing math wrong, but I'm not sure how the sales tax is being calculated. IL is 6.25% but I can't figure out what total is being taxed.

From Tesla:
Model Y
$39,990.00
Full Self-Driving Capability
$10,000.00
Deep Blue Metallic
$1,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$10,500.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$62,790.00

Additional Charges​

Registration Amount
$401.00
Optional ERT Fee
$25.00
Sales Tax
$3,695.30

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$66,911.30​

Who knows may be they are not putting tax on Destination Fee, Doc Fee and Order Fee?!?! But you are still like $150 off.

So with your trade $31k and if you get tax credit for trade in you'll be at $32,937.50.
Your Carmax offer is definitely worth it at $35k. As long as they do not offer your $33k you are better off with Carmax.
But regardless Tesla or Carmax you would need to reprise your trade it within a week or 2 of scheduled delivery, which was not guaranteed in my case.

I backed out from trade in. MY was supposed to be delivered on 3/30, but came with defective screen and Tesla had no parts. So they found another car from 400 miles away but delivery was on 4/7. on 3/30 my trade was good on 4/3 it expired since it crossed 35 day. Carvana gave me $760 more vs Tesla counting all the tax credits.
The disadvantage is that I couldn't transfer my tags since I was not trading it to Tesla. Now I need to wait 4 weeks till they give me plates and do a transfer. Probably will cost me some $$. I think still worth it going with Carvana, offsets some Insurance increase and pays for the tint :cool:
Strange, I was able to transfer my plate (I kept it when selling the car to a dealership). Must vary by location.

Strange, I was able to transfer my plate (I kept it when selling the car to a dealership). Must vary by location.
Yes, when I first talked to Sales and told them I sold to Carvana they told it is fine and they will transfer my plates, but when I got a call from delivery team they told me no, since I am not trading the car. Unnecessary headache.