Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all. I picked up my MYP 2 weeks ago and it’s making a rattle in the back seat area. I’ve taken out head tests and folded them down and nothing worked. I’m scared to make a service appt since I hear so many horror stories about people that drop their cars off and they don’t fix anything after days of having the car or returning the car in dirty condition or with other new issues.

Can someone recommend what I should do? Thanks!

Hey y’all. I picked up my MYP 2 weeks ago and it’s making a rattle in the back seat area. I’ve taken out head tests and folded them down and nothing worked. I’m scared to make a service appt since I hear so many horror stories about people that drop their cars off and they don’t fix anything after days of having the car or returning the car in dirty condition or with other new issues.

Can someone recommend what I should do? Thanks!
Are you sure it’s not the seatbelts?

I have been trying to track this rattle noise in my 3 week old Model YP. I have mobile service schedule for July 7th. I may have found the source of the noise in the trunk. See the pictures. The plastic panel near the top brake light has a gap on the driver side which maybe causing the rattle over rough roads. I moved my hand over the panel and there is no gap on the passenger side. I believe the panel should be attached to the glass roof. Do you guys see this issue too?
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg

I have been trying to track this rattle noise in my 3 week old Model YP. I have mobile service schedule for July 7th. I may have found the source of the noise in the trunk. See the pictures. The plastic panel near the top brake light has a gap on the driver side which maybe causing the rattle over rough roads. I moved my hand over the panel and there is no gap on the passenger side. I believe the panel should be attached to the glass roof. Do you guys see this issue too?
View attachment 820299View attachment 820300
I believe I know exactly the noise you’re talking about. I’ve heard it twice but only over a very bumpy road but like fine bumps. Doesn’t happen often but the rattle from this thing is ridiculous.

If you have you end up getting this service please share your remarks from tesla. There is no easy way for me to replicate the noise.

I believe I know exactly the noise you’re talking about. I’ve heard it twice but only over a very bumpy road but like fine bumps. Doesn’t happen often but the rattle from this thing is ridiculous.

If you have you end up getting this service please share your remarks from tesla. There is no easy way for me to replicate the noise.
Took my car to service today. Did a test drive with the technician to show him the issue. They worked on my car for 4 hours, I didn’t hear any noise while coming back home. The car was super quite. They didn’t tell me much what was fixed but gave some explanation in the invoice. See below. Also they ordered new trim for the trunk. Going back to replace it on 7/20.

Concern: Customer states seat rattle from seat back of middle seat
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Concern: customer states: Rear trunk panel that touches the glass roof near the brake light has a gap on the driver side
Verified customer concern. Technician inspected liftgate trim and found deformities in the trim.
Technician attempted to apply foam to lessen the noise, but replacement is necessary to completely
solve the issue. Technician is recommending replacement of both the liftgate upper and liftgate lower
trim.
Correction: Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - 0.6
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service

Concern: customer states: Rear trunk panel that touches the glass roof near the brake light has a gap on the driver side
Verified customer concern. Technician inspected liftgate trim and found deformities in the trim.
Technician attempted to apply foam to lessen the noise, but replacement is necessary to completely
solve the issue. Technician is recommending replacement of both the liftgate upper and liftgate lower
trim.
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site

• Informative
Reactions: TrooperCA

Any luck addressing the rattle?

I finally took it in explaining that it seemed to be coming from the rear passenger seat area. They said they made some "adjustments" to the liftgate but it didn't resolve the issue. I'm probably not going to try again. I was persistent with rattles on the old model 3 and all it did was waste my time taking it to the SC over and over.